Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
help ! Rilke translation

There must be some poetry lovers / scholars here, and since google and amazon have let me down i turn to you for help as a last resort !

i am trying desperately to find the translation of Rainer Maria Rilke's Duino Elegies which i used to have but tragically lost somewhere (never lend a book you love...). The problem is everyone and his brother has made a translation, and i don't remember the name of the translator. However, i do have a few fragments which i had taken down in notes.

if anyone has a copy of these poems, could you check to see if they are the same, and tell me the name of the translator ? you would thus earn my undying fervent gratitude !! (extra bonus gratitude if it turns out the version is PD and you know where i can find it online, since i am pretty sure my version has been out of print for a long time...)

/!\ N.B. : it is not the version by Stephen Mitchell, although that one is quite good i think (i still have that one...). It MAY be the version by Gary Miranda / Mirando Gray (i have seen both spellings and i have no idea whether it is the same person, but it seems like it would be a really huge coincidence if not), but i am only basing this on the fact that the reviews i have seen of that version are all glowing, and the fact that it is out of print (i'm pretty sure the version i am looking for has been out of print for quite a while...).

SOME EXCERPTS OF THE VERSION I AM LOOKING FOR :
From the First elegy :

Line 11 :
"...the ingenious beasts are aware
that we are not reliably at home
in our interpreted world."

Line 22 :
"But they only conceal with each other their fate"

Line 27 :
"...A wave long since gone past
lifted itself toward you"

i've got some more but these should be enough to identify it i think.

thank you thank you for any assistance !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i am trying desperately to find the translation of Rainer Maria Rilke's Duino Elegies which i used to have but tragically lost somewhere (never lend a book you love...). The problem is everyone and his brother has made a translation, and i don't remember the name of the translator. However, i do have a few fragments which i had taken down in notes.
This perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/Duino-Elegies-...3778966&sr=1-1

Getting a copy may be a challenge.
_____
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i don't know i need to be able to see the text to be sure. i can't "search inside" that one (that is why i couldn't find it on amazon...).

i had this book at university (so, about 15 years ago... and i beleive it was out of print then already), we studied the poems in one of my classes, but i don't even remember what the cover looked like.

i fear it may be an impossible quest. i do thank you for trying to help...
Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Zelda, I cunningly googled on the first quotation ("the ingenious beasts are aware") and the second hit quoted the passage and referred to this translation:

Rilke. R.M. (1972) "The Duino Elegies." Translation, S. Garmey and J. Wilson. New York.

(The first hit was your question!)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Zelda, I cunningly googled on the first quotation ("the ingenious beasts are aware") and the second hit quoted the passage and referred to this translation:

Rilke. R.M. (1972) "The Duino Elegies." Translation, S. Garmey and J. Wilson. New York.

I did likewise. Amazon doesn't have it, but I found a listing for a used copy at Abebooks, here:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3D45%26y%3D13
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:

patricia, if that turns out the be the translation i am searching for (it probably will ! hope so !) then you are my new hero ! (so cunning...)

strangely, when i google on my fragment, i don't find the same page you found not counting my own question (the first one : amazing how fast google can dance !), i have only a pdf file which apparently does not contain any reference to Rilke or the passage (i did a search in the document, 0 results), so i really don't know what it is doing there...

out of curiosity, could you put the link to the page you found ?

meanwhile i'm off to search for an edition of that translation...

thank you !!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I did likewise. Amazon doesn't have it, but I found a listing for a used copy at Abebooks, here:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3D45%26y%3D13
______
Dennis
arg !! google hates me !!! (or at the least, it does not want me to find my book !!) i searched for the title and the names of the two translators, and i found entries on amazon france and amazon germany (cheapest price : 30.63€ ), but not abebooks (where it is 10$) !!!

and yes, before you ask, i am searching the *whole* web, not only in french pages...

thanks for the link Dennis !
Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

pfff... never mind.. if i put only the last names of the translators i have many more results.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

i'm not usually so stupid, i promise.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's the link. It seems to be to a set of footnotes.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=uk

If you subsequently click on the hyperlinked bibliography (at the end) then you get the citation.
My search was for "the ingenious beasts are aware" with the quotes - this searches for the full quotation.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Here's the link. It seems to be to a set of footnotes.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=uk

If you subsequently click on the hyperlinked bibliography (at the end) then you get the citation.
My search was for "the ingenious beasts are aware" with the quotes - this searches for the full quotation.
thanks for the link !
curiouser and curiouser, yesterday i did not get that result (i did the same search as you in fact, also with the complete citation) but i did get this thread. today if i search with the complete text i get NO results, but if i take only the first line i get my own question, and the page you found as well. (that part is normal though ; in the page you found, the line breaks are indicated by "/" with no spaces... so it does not match my complete citation as i typed it). i don't know what happened yesterday... maybe i had a typo in my search, and i did not notice it.

anyway, now i am happy, because i know which version i want, i just have to find a copy to buy not too expensive !

thanks to both of you for all the help ! (although i feel rather foolish, i should have been able to find that myself...)