Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Franky
Nameless Being

experience

it's near year end and I'm very curious about experience with the DR800.

we are very happy with the device. the only thing what is irritating is the battery. our reader is empty with a couple of day's. battery should live for 7000 turns, but it is impossible to come further then 100. we read per day one hour and after 4 to 5 day;s we hang it on power. we switch the screen every time off. i was reading an other website that we are not the only one with these problems.

i'd like to hear from other user what there experience is.

Last edited by Franky; 12-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I agree, battery life is nowhere near the 7000 page turns advertised - at least not in real-life use. I do seem to get more than you appear to, probably ten days at two hours a day - I wonder of there is a firmware issue here. I'm still running ver 1.7 because ver 2.0 had known power management issues and I never really needed the additional functionality of ver 3.0.

Beyond that I am also pretty happy with the reader, though it does begin to look a bit clunky compared to some of the newer units - I'm thinking particularly of the new Sonys.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
I'm very happy with my DR800, and still think it's the best ereader out there, considering all the features.

Regarding battery, mine lasts many days, maybe 1+ week, and this is with the DR800+ extension, whose close decrease battery charge. I guess before it I spent 2 weeks before recharging.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
the year end and I'm very curious about experience with the DR800.

we are very happy with the device. the only thing what is irritating is the battery. our reader is empty with a couple of day's. battery should live for 7000 turns, but it is impossible to come further then 100. we read per day one hour and after 4 to 5 day;s we hang it on power. we switch the screen every time off. i was reading an other website that we are not the only one with these problems.

i'd like to hear from other user what there experience is.
Measuring battery life in page turns is always a bit bogus anyway, however, you should be getting more than a couple days. When I first got mine I did a couple test runs of reading for a couple hours per day, and it lasted about two weeks before I needed to recharge. That was without 3G and minimal stylus usage (both of which will drain the battery faster).

There was a known bug that certain conditions or certain types of document formats would cause an issue that prevented the device from going into suspend/sleep (whatever you want to call it) mode correctly and could lead to excessive battery drain. I believe some of it was fixed in later versions, but I don't think it was ever 100% resolved.

What firmware version are you currently running, and what type of document do you primarily read (PDF... etc).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
the ereader is still one of the best by the hardware side..
the battery is ok
the only thing that is needed is simply a firmware upgrade that would fix known problems we have..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Franky
Nameless Being

We've got 1 running: PCBArevision Rev 0, Software 2.0-rc3, Build nr 201006291712,kernel 2.6.24-irex(2000), boorloader 1.7 and application 1.8.

We are more than happy with those devices. they are seriously great and reading is a pleasure. it's just more then irritating that the battery is losing power so fast. fully loaded it's half within 2,5 days. i can't believe it and i think there is something wrong, or i do something wrong.

we are reading 80% epub and 20% pdf, doing nothing yet with annotations and no bookmarks at all. if we start with bookmarks, the reader is getting as slow as a dead cat.
that's not a winner.

if there is indeed a software fix, I would like to know how to get it and how to install it.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
we are reading 80% epub and 20% pdf
I believe the bug that caused an issue with it not entering suspend/sleep had something to do with ePub? Not 100% sure of the details though. I almost exclusively read PDF, which may explain why I get better battery life by not hitting the same issue.

Quote:
if there is indeed a software fix, I would like to know how to get it and how to install it.
It sounds like you're running the latest firmware.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There was a known bug that certain conditions or certain types of document formats would cause an issue that prevented the device from going into suspend/sleep (whatever you want to call it) mode correctly and could lead to excessive battery drain. I believe some of it was fixed in later versions, but I don't think it was ever 100% resolved.
Interestingly, I noticed the other day that if I accidentally flip the flip-bar when it is in sleep mode, the page has changed when I turn it back on. Anyone else experienced this?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Interestingly, I noticed the other day that if I accidentally flip the flip-bar when it is in sleep mode, the page has changed when I turn it back on. Anyone else experienced this?
Could be related. My recollection is that the "bug" basically has to do with the reader application not suspending cleanly, and preventing the device from going into it's sleep mode. If the app is still running, then it would make sense that flipping the bar while it appears to be in sleep mode (but isn't really) would cause the page to turn.

I'd have to try it though, to confirm that it doesn't do the same thing on mine (since I don't typically have the above issue).
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
ricossa
Geneva
ricossa began at the beginning.

Device: iREX DR800S
I never had problems with the battery. It lasts very long, especially with text pdf's. With heavy image-pdf (like google-books) its life is a little bit shorter
ricossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
akadimka
akadimka began at the beginning.

Device: iREX D800SG
Hi!

As for my experience - I can say that everything is perfect in this e-reader except power leak. Full charged battery keeps device live for 2-3 days in case of reading 1-2 hours per day. Latest RC3 firmware is installed and automatic power-off is enabled. Can't catch - which process eats battery? Or maybe it's on hardware level (some problem in e-board schematic)?
But anyway - it's very good reader. I like it
akadimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Franky
Nameless Being

it looks like akadimka has exactly the same as we have. it is indeed a fantastic good reader and we're glad to have them.

i can't get this eating process either. i just have to live with it, even if we just read epub and do basically nothing else yet.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I am happy with the device. Since I am using it to read the newspaper (pressdisplay) every morning --- which is extremely "pen intensive", entails a lot of zooming in and out, as well as moving around on the page --- my battery life is less than stellar. But it is still the perfect form factor, strangely enough no ereader or tablet maker adopted the 8" format, so I will keep using it for a long time. Let us all hope that no harm comes to our devices, since they can't be repaired.

And as far as regular book reading is concerned, nothing can compare yet -- the new pearl screens seem a little better, but not enough to make me want to switch. I see myself replacing the Irex for newspapers and magazines some day -- though definitely not with one the current crop of tablets. A tablet with the same form factor, weight, and battery life and a new screen technology.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Franky
Nameless Being

so, a small update.
fully loaded I started to keep track. After 3 days and approx 24 times going to another page 25% of the power is gone. Another 3 day's further and 18 new pages 50% of the power is gone. The 4 day's further and just 15 new pages further, it is almost done with the power.

I think this is not what it should be. I don't do anything else then reading an Epub book without making notes or bookmarks. just simply reading.

it is still the best reader for us, without any doubt. I'm just wondering why it's losing power so fast.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
so, a small update.
fully loaded I started to keep track. After 3 days and approx 24 times going to another page 25% of the power is gone. Another 3 day's further and 18 new pages 50% of the power is gone. The 4 day's further and just 15 new pages further, it is almost done with the power.

I think this is not what it should be. I don't do anything else then reading an Epub book without making notes or bookmarks. just simply reading.

it is still the best reader for us, without any doubt. I'm just wondering why it's losing power so fast.
So 10 days total on a charge? That's a little lower than I saw when I was measuring mine, but not too far off. I think I was getting closer to 14 days.