Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I have found one issue that seems to be caused by completely removing ALL the preloaded books. In theory, I think it can be avoided by leaving just one of those books on. Even still, it's easily avoidable even if you did remove all the books:

here is a bug I've found, but I don't know if it's really a bug. It seems to be a side effect of deleting all the 100 preloaded books, which isn't officially supported by Kobo at this point:

When I go to my library list, click 'display' and select "Pre-Loaded Books", the list is empty, and all the letters at the top are greyed out (expected, I nuked my dbase a while ago). But the letter A is selected (A line above and below the letter), even thought it's greyed out. If I press the center button, the Kobo flashes the red/blue lights and immediately reboots!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #32
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Does the Firmware upgrade effect the way Calibre works with Kobo?

Does the firmware upgrade have a problem if the 100 free books have been removed?

If so should I restore my original Kobo files and folders before I run the update?
not so far for me...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #33
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Does the Firmware upgrade effect the way Calibre works with Kobo?
I received a updated device today and initial (limited) tests do not show any issues with the Calibre driver. Indeed in my initial review of the database I was hard pressed to find any schema differences.

I will take a closer look in the coming days and work on some existing bugs (minor) but it looks like the core functionality of listing and deleting books works fine.

Thanks very much to Kobo (the company) for supplying me with a test device. It is useful to have devices running different versions of the firmware for testing.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Tim; one thing you might like to look at ... the ability to load TXT and HTML files on with the new firmware. The issue is that when you drop the files from the unit (has to be done currently either at the command line, or via Windows Explorer) the files are not removed from the database, and still show in Documents view.

You will find records in the content and volume_shortcovers tables; my experiment added two records per file to each table.

Removing these records cleaned up the Documents view.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #35
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Tim; one thing you might like to look at ... the ability to load TXT and HTML files on with the new firmware. The issue is that when you drop the files from the unit (has to be done currently either at the command line, or via Windows Explorer) the files are not removed from the database, and still show in Documents view.

You will find records in the content and volume_shortcovers tables; my experiment added two records per file to each table.

Removing these records cleaned up the Documents view.
I will take a look. If they show up in Calibre you should be able to clean up the database without mush issue by simplly deleting in calibre.

I will test it though...

Tim
Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #36
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I will take a look. If they show up in Calibre you should be able to clean up the database without mush issue by simplly deleting in calibre.

I will test it though...

Tim
Tim,

Calibre did not seem to see the .txt or HTM books on my Kobo. So I did a drag and drop of the books to Calibre and it saw the txt book in Calibr but not on the Kobo and the htm book was seen as a zip file in Calibre.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I received a updated device today and initial (limited) tests do not show any issues with the Calibre driver. Indeed in my initial review of the database I was hard pressed to find any schema differences.

I will take a closer look in the coming days and work on some existing bugs (minor) but it looks like the core functionality of listing and deleting books works fine.

Thanks very much to Kobo (the company) for supplying me with a test device. It is useful to have devices running different versions of the firmware for testing.

Tim
Glad you got it safe and sound.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #38
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Tim,

Calibre did not seem to see the .txt or HTM books on my Kobo. So I did a drag and drop of the books to Calibre and it saw the txt book in Calibr but not on the Kobo and the htm book was seen as a zip file in Calibre.
Hi

Partially fixed. HTML files are treated differently that ePubs and PDFs (possible firmware bug?). Essentially the ImageID is not generated and stored in the database but worse, the ContentID has a different format.

I have pushed a fix for the display issue but I need to spend a little more time looking at a failure in the delete. It is the same cause but I need to look at the best fix.

Tim
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #39
techie42
Zealot

Tim,

I manually deleted the files for the text file and the html file. But Calbre still sees the text file's title. It shows up like this;

/mnt/onboard/title.txt
size 0.0
...and I get an error when I try to do anything with it. Error communicating with device.

And the Kobo thinks that both titles are still there but, they open as one page of a one page book displaying a blank page.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #40
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Tim,

I manually deleted the files for the text file and the html file. But Calbre still sees the text file's title. It shows up like this;

/mnt/onboard/title.txt
size 0.0
...and I get an error when I try to do anything with it. Error communicating with device.

And the Kobo thinks that both titles are still there but, they open as one page of a one page book displaying a blank page.
I know the issue and hope to have it resolved in the next version of calibre Are there any other file type accepted other than HTML and txt?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #41
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
I know the issue and hope to have it resolved in the next version of calibre Are there any other file type accepted other than HTML and txt?
I did not think to try other formats. RTF, doc, lit, hmmm... so many things to play with.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #42
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Hi Tim, thanks so much for your work on this. Presumably there's something in the database for keeping track of which page the reader is up to for a given book. I wonder if this can be reset to zero, thus removing the book from the dreaded ' I'm reading ' list? I'm sure you'd win a legion of fans if you could implement that!
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #43
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
I did not think to try other formats. RTF, doc, lit, hmmm... so many things to play with.
Yesterday's calibre update should fix this issue with HTML and text docs
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #44
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Hi Tim, thanks so much for your work on this. Presumably there's something in the database for keeping track of which page the reader is up to for a given book. I wonder if this can be reset to zero, thus removing the book from the dreaded ' I'm reading ' list? I'm sure you'd win a legion of fans if you could implement that!
I have started looking at it. I have no timetable though...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #45
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Hi Tim,

Another wonderful thing to have would be able to upload the current page being read from CALIBRE to KOBO and visa-versa, and to be able to "finish" a title easily.

That would give us a goto page number function that the KOBO sadly (currently) lacks.....

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-10-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added info
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, delete free books, kobo