Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
About prose: Cormac McCarthy or Ian McEwan?

OK so lately I have been considering going from my habit of reading 19th century classics and fantasy exclusively to reading some newer fiction.

What I dread about more contemporary books or styles is that the author's use of the language may be too "simple", instead of the florid and elegant language that i.e. Charles Dickens mastered to the point where reading his works, to me, is like listening to Mozart or staring at a work by Da Vinci.

So, in my search for contemporary authors who can provide with a similar experience when reading their works, I've constantly come across this two names: Cormac McCarthy and Ian McEwan.

I have never read anything by them, and would like to know if someone can provide with a comparison, not only of their prose but also of their styles and settings/stories, in order to know which one to start with.
So thanks!
khazaddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There is a certain richness in southern gothic fiction, as well, that reminds me of the greatness of Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Anthony Trollope. (I'm not talking about the subject matter here, but rather the richness of language, the involvement of language, the beauty of language).

I, too, share your liking for the masters of 19th C. prose fiction.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I, too, share your liking for the masters of 19th C. prose fiction.
You also like looooong books and series.
Have a look at this:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...n-in-love.html
http://us.macmillan.com/mystrugglebook1/KarlKnausgaard
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaddum View Post
Cormac McCarthy and Ian McEwan.

I have never read anything by them, and would like to know if someone can provide with a comparison
I have tried reading one book by Cormac McCarthy - The Road.
Do not make the same error as I did - do not start reading that book without finding out something about the book. There are plenty of reviews. Try reading a short sample before purchase ;-)
You have compared reading of books written by Charles Dickens to listening to Mozart. I would compare reading The Road to listening to Techno-Trash-Metal.

I do not know, perhaps his other books are ... different. I am unlikely to find out, because I will never *ever* read anything he wrote.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have tried reading one book by Cormac McCarthy - The Road.
Do not make the same error as I did - do not start reading that book without finding out something about the book. There are plenty of reviews. Try reading a short sample before purchase ;-)
You have compared reading of books written by Charles Dickens to listening to Mozart. I would compare reading The Road to listening to Techno-Trash-Metal.

I do not know, perhaps his other books are ... different. I am unlikely to find out, because I will never *ever* read anything he wrote.
Exactly the same for me, except the music comparison would be hardcore gangsta rap.
Whether his writing style was an affectation, or simply lazy, I couldn't get to the end of the first page without literally throwing the paperback against the wall in disgust, never to be picked up again. (Well I did pick it up, but only to put it waaaaaaaay in the back row of my triple stuffed bookshelf).
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

That's me!

Thank you for the links above. (I picked up volume 1, that I mentioned in another thread, but I have yet to read it.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
... I couldn't get to the end of the first page without literally throwing the paperback against the wall in disgust, never to be picked up again.
Lucky you ;-). I have read much longer sample. I was much more ... disturbed by the actual contents of the book than by the unusual writing style, punctuation and grammar.
After going through about a third of the book (you see, I am *very* persistent) I gave up and went to the net to look up how the book was going to develop. After that I had to look for some mental bleach that would help me to remove the images from my mind.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I appreciate McCarthy's prose even more than his stories themselves. "The Road" was impossibly bleak and his prose matched that story so well. "Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West" was disturbingly senseless but, at times, the prose was achingly poetic.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you for the replies! I will not try McCarthy, apparently it will not be for me lol.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaddum View Post
thank you for the replies! I will not try McCarthy, apparently it will not be for me lol.

Any other suggestions?
Don't let our opinions put you off totally. At least try McCarthy and make your own mind up. I couldn't handle the lack of punctuation or confusing (to me) dialogue, but many, many people thought the book was brilliant. See if you can find a sample chapter and give it a shot.
I'd be curious to see what opinion you have.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I thought The Road and Blood Meridian were both brilliant. But, I can understand why some don't like it.

One alternative I would suggest would be The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #12
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I thought The Road and Blood Meridian were both brilliant. But, I can understand why some don't like it.

One alternative I would suggest would be The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.
I would second the Sister Brothers and perhaps also suggest The Goldfinch by Donna Tarrit. I distinctly remember admiring the prose in both of these however in the case of the later I couldn't stand the characters, story or ending but I think I'm in the minority on that.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
khazaddum
Enthusiast

Yes I will get a sample of The Road and see if I like it. Probably I shall look more into McEwan. Thanks for the suggestion of DeWitt, I hadn't heard of him before.
Odd thing to admit, that I am kind of lost regarding good contemporary writers.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
I can definitely see the connection between enjoying 19th century literature and enjoying McEwan's prose. He has a pretty descriptive, vivid style, which is pretty different from the sparse style of McCarthy. While, in general, McEwan writes in a style to which I'm more drawn, I've read one book by each (Atonement v. The Road) and I far preferred the latter. Atonement is one of my least favourite books I've ever read; I disliked it in the way that leaves you angry for days following!
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Two more recent books that come to mind for the writing - largely because they're consciously written to emulate "older", 19th century style - are Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries (winner of last year's Man Booker, literary historical fiction) and Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (which is ... hmm, literary historical fantasy?).

I enjoyed both books fairly well; not as much as others but more than some.

ETA: Sorry for going off-topic - neither McCarthy nor McEwan have appealed to me enough to read either, but it just occurred to me that in addition to those two, the OP might be interested in other contemporary writers that might fit the bill.

Last edited by Yapyap; 07-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote