Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Sony PRS-300 with clock and customizable epub fonts :)

So I bit the bullet today and Russified my PRS-300 using RonF‘s excellent instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=62528&page=5 (post #72)

I went ahead and used boroda’s version 1.05a and it worked easily and flawlessly.

Then, I created a Fonts directory in the root of the READER drive that shows up on my computer when the reader is plugged in via USB and put my current favorite fonts there (Gentium book, available here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic ).

I edited the css file that was in the epub folder on my READER drive so it looks like this:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "serif1";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src:url(res:///Data/Fonts/GenBkBasR.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src:url(res:///Data/Fonts/GenBkBasB.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src:url(res:///Data/Fonts/GenBkBasI.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: italic;
  src:url(res:///Data/Fonts/GenBkBasBI.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-family: "sans-serif1";
  src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf);
}

body {
  font-family: serif1, serif;
  line-height: 130%;
  font-size:0.9em
}

p {
  font-family: serif1, serif;
  line-height: 130%;
  font-size:0.9em
}

h1 {
  font-family: sans-serif1, sans-serif;
}
And now all my epubs show up in Gentium at the perfect font size for me, and I have a clock in the lower right hand corner of my screen. I am really loving this! At this rate, I may be listing my PB360 on the Flea Market soon!

ETA: Oh, and I have to say, THANK YOU to all the developers who have worked on these hacks and improvements. They totally rock!

Last edited by maxbookworm; 06-20-2010 at 07:10 AM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Try ebookapplications[dot]com. It has a new firmware for Sony PRS–300 which reads ePub and many other formats perfectly. Installation requires just copying files to the eReader and when device starts it prompts user if he wants to load the original firmware or the alternative one.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
rudyt
Sony Reader
rudyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 and PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I edited the css file that was in the epub folder on my READER drive so it looks like this: [snip]

And now all my epubs show up in Gentium at the perfect font size for me,
First off, thanks for posting your CSS file. I tried it as suggested, and now I see a new font (which I like), but it doesn't seem to scale on my PRS-300. The indicator toggles between S/M/L as expected, but the font stays the same.

I'm going to experiment with a different font to see if it's the CSS file or the font itself that inhibits scaling. The default CSS file scales perfectly.

/rudy
rudyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
Try ebookapplications[dot]com. It has a new firmware for Sony PRS–300 which reads ePub and many other formats perfectly. Installation requires just copying files to the eReader and when device starts it prompts user if he wants to load the original firmware or the alternative one.
The thread is partly about changing fonts via easily created settings. Does this firmware allow the user to change to any font they desire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyt View Post
First off, thanks for posting your CSS file. I tried it as suggested, and now I see a new font (which I like), but it doesn't seem to scale on my PRS-300. The indicator toggles between S/M/L as expected, but the font stays the same.
Just remove the setting for font size. Once you set a font size in the css then you can't scale from that overriding setting.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-18-2010 at 01:08 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
rudyt
Sony Reader

Quote:
Sorry to follow up my own post, but I have a solution for the fixed font sizes using the OP's CSS file. The reason the fonts don't scale is because the CSS file hard-codes the font-size at 24px. Replace the sizes with 1.1em (for a slightly larger base size) or delete the two font-size lines altogether and font scaling is back.

Another tweak is to set the first font for h1 to serif1 if you want to be able to see bold in level-1 headings

/rudy
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent point! I just changed my css file and will change my original post to reflect that as well. Thanks

Quote:
Sorry to follow up my own post, but I have a solution for the fixed font sizes using the OP's CSS file. The reason the fonts don't scale is because the CSS file hard-codes the font-size at 24px. Replace the sizes with 1.1em (for a slightly larger base size) or delete the two font-size lines altogether and font scaling is back.

Another tweak is to set the first font for h1 to serif1 if you want to be able to see bold in level-1 headings

/rudy
Old 06-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
rudyt
Sony Reader

Quote:
my current favorite fonts there (Gentium book, available here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...ntium_download ).
Minor comment: the URL you posted gets you to the generic Gentium fonts, not the "basic" fonts you list in your CSS file. The correct URL would be http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic

BTW thanks again for the Gentium suggestion; I had never hear of it before. I've been playing with alternative fonts and none of the others I've tried look as good on the 300, although Bitstream Vera come close.

/rudy
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict

Thanks Rudy! I've corrected the link in my original post
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
At this rate, I may be listing my PB360 on the Flea Market soon!
You know that there is also a hacked AdobeViewer.app for the PB360 available which allows you to use custom css styles and custom fonts?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
ebookapps - I'm interested in your alternative Sony firmware, especially since the original Sony firmware is unaltered and remains available.

I do have a question, however. I notice your firmware supports various common formats, but there is no indication if DRM is supported in any of the formats. Do any of the formats support DRM files? If so, please advise which formats allow DRM files.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I do have a question, however. I notice your firmware supports various common formats, but there is no indication if DRM is supported in any of the formats. Do any of the formats support DRM files? If so, please advise which formats allow DRM files.
SteveK, please join this thread if you have further questions about the ebook applications firmware. Thanks.

Regarding your question: No, the firmware doesn't support any DRM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I followed the instructions on your website to install the software on my PRS-300. It does not work.

When I select your software instead of the Sony, the 600 just sits there. It never goes beyond the selection screen.

If, on the other hand, I make the Sony selection, the 600 responds immediately. What have I done wrong?

BTW: could you elaborate the installation procedure? Do I copy the basic folder and its contents or each of the separate folders?

Thank you,
Joe Minton
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
If, on the other hand, I make the Sony selection, the 600 responds immediately. What have I done wrong?
I'm just guessing but it may be the fact you are installing it on a 600 and not a 505 or 300? There is a thread for questions on this alternative here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
TheSapient
TheSapient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Can the fonts be adjusted without "Russifying" the 300? I can't find a css file to edit, so I'm guessing not. Then again, I may just be stupid.
TheSapient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSapient View Post
Can the fonts be adjusted without "Russifying" the 300? I can't find a css file to edit, so I'm guessing not. Then again, I may just be stupid.
You can install just the font hack alone: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102 but I haven't tried it, so don't know the step-by-step... And no, you are definitely not stupid. You won't be able to edit the css until you hack your reader.