Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I've heard that the relative scarcity of e-ink, or similar, displays is pumping up the price but then the iPad and other slates will come and people will trade off functionality and price against over-priced single-use devices and e-ink will be nestling down next to 8-Track in the technology graveyard.

Oh, you people who say you'll NEVER read off anything EXCEPT e-ink... you're no better than the dead tree fetishists that don't want to give up the smell of musty paper. IMO.
Bigot, you are.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hca2000 View Post
Do the prices you mention include VAT or sales tax? In Europe prices normally include VAT.
No VAT in the US, and the state I live in has no sales tax, nor (in most states; see other angry threads for details) is there sales tax on mail order sales. When sales tax exists, it's generally in the 5-7% range (varying in both directions depending on state and sometimes city). Shipping also varies, but with a bit of luck you can get free shipping.

Quote:
Compared to a similar device, Bebook Neo, bought at Bebooks own site, the price is €299 plus VAT and shipping. Shipping within Europe is probably something like €10 to €15 and VAT somewhere around 17-19% on top of the listed sales price.
Holy mooing cow! For the price of that Bebook Neo, which (assuming midpoint of tax/shipping) comes to a final total of €367, you could buy a PRS-600 for home and a PRS-300 for travel, and have money left over for some books.

Yeah, I guess €235 (merely the list price of a 600) starts looking pretty good at those rates. But ... ouch!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #18
Jelena
Jelena began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Can you tell me, why 302 looks better for you?
I mean - please?
Jelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
waterstones ahve
Sony pocket £160
Elonex 511EB £130 with free 4gb mem card
Sony touch screen 600 £230

all inclusive of VAT

Play.com have the
Sony 600 touch at £199 inc VAT and delivery

So I think the price is Ok but not a bargain as such.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Out of all of them I think the Sony readers are the best to look at and to hold. Every other ereader Looks and feels cheap. At the prices you pay you expect something better.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert