Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
EmiGirl
EmiGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New and Very Confused!

I just got a new Kindle 2 and I'm really confused. I was planning on putting some of my favorite fanfictions on it so I got calibre. Well, it's not going well at all. When I convert the PDF to mobi, some of the symbols such as quotation marks and other things like that are completely jumbled.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I obviously don't know what I'm doing at all. Thank you in advance!

Emily
EmiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
o_o why are the fanfictions in PDF format?

Are they from fanfic.net or another site like that? You have two options, depending.

If it's from a one-shot, or a story with only a few chapters, just highlight all and copy and paste it into a text document, shove it through Calibre and fiddle with it as you want, and there's your fanfic.

If it's a longer story, you won't want to copy and past 50+ chapters. There are fanfic downloaders out there that will grab all the chapters automatically and make them into one document. If it's an ongoing story, you'll have to keep using the fanfic downloader each time it updates, but it's a quick, painless process that only requires the URL of the fanfic, so it's no biggie.

.... I hope this answered your question. The conversion from PDF must have messed with the document.... or maybe the document hadn't been ocr'd. Congrats on the K2!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You might want to try Mobipocket Creator to convert the PDF's, sometimes the results will be better. However PDF is probably the worst format to do any conversions from.

Are the PDF's not usable as is on the K2?

My best results for converting a PDF for the K2 has been to use Acrobat Pro and export as HTML then open the HTML in Sigil and create a nice ePub, then convert the ePub to Mobi in Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
EmiGirl

The fics are from another archive, but not ff.net. Most of them have 30+ chapters. I just copy/pasted in to Word. For some reason I thought that it would be better to save them as a pdf to convert from there. I guess I was really wrong about that!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Yeah, you were .pdf is the by far the worst format.

Have a look at Kindledfans -- they have a number of tutorials geared toward fanfic specifically.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Yeah, PDF is a nice format, but only if you don't really plan on doing anything further with a file. Basically it's a final-display format and not designed to be edited/converted once it's made. You can often still extract the data to edit more in some other app, but that winds up being more like data rescue than editing.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
EmiGirl

Thank you all so much. I found EXACTLY what I needed!