Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #1126
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Quick question...the initial post in this thread says:

"Use koreader_old.zip for 2.5.x or older firmware (not really supported); for 2.6.1 use the nightly builds."

Do the nightlies work on 2.6.2? Thanks.
I'm using a nightly with 3.3.0 using advboot. I update erratically since I only check for an update about every 10 or so days.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #1127
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Thanks, I figured the original post was just a touch out of date!
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #1128
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Quick question...the initial post in this thread says:

"Use koreader_old.zip for 2.5.x or older firmware (not really supported); for 2.6.1 use the nightly builds."

Do the nightlies work on 2.6.2? Thanks.
Yes. Read it as in: if you have a really old firmware, use an old version of koreader. The date of that post is probably prior to the release date of 2.6.2.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #1129
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I'm back. I'm trying to install the koreader_old.zip on 2.5.2 according to the instructions. However, when I open that zip, it contain neither KoboRoot.tgz nor “koreader” folder. Can anyone shed any light on how to install the old version? Thanks.

[edit]: Presumably the koreader_old folder is the "koreader" folder. Can I use KoboRoot.tgz from a current build?

Last edited by mr_nobody; 05-01-2014 at 08:17 AM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #1130
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cieljonn View Post
Hi, I have the exact same problem on my Glo, but this solution doesn't seem to work for me. Help?

Also, is there any way to prevent the frontlight from automatically turning on whenever I go into Koreader?

Thanks!
This solution was one to address a problem getting Giorgio's suspend working for the AuraHD, at a time when it was working on most others but not on the AuraHDs. I think it was on Github that the discussion included timing values that worked best for several models.

I have been away, and my AuraHD is not on the most recent builds, this has not worked with all builds. Not sure what might work for the Glo, you might want to find and try the original suspend for koreader posts.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #1131
cieljonn
cieljonn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
This solution was one to address a problem getting Giorgio's suspend working for the AuraHD, at a time when it was working on most others but not on the AuraHDs. I think it was on Github that the discussion included timing values that worked best for several models.

I have been away, and my AuraHD is not on the most recent builds, this has not worked with all builds. Not sure what might work for the Glo, you might want to find and try the original suspend for koreader posts.

Luck;
Ken
Eh, it seems like the suspend now works when I slide the power button several times. Weird, huh.
cieljonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #1132
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cieljonn View Post
Eh, it seems like the suspend now works when I slide the power button several times. Weird, huh.
Some have reported that the timing for that sliding switch can be tricky, even for the sleep vs poweroff event detection. For me it seems a quick flick is all I need to suspend the IR detection. You may need to practice a little to find what works best for you.

You could also try different values instead of "2" (which is good for the AuraHD) in the second change I mentioned.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-02-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #1133
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
It is possible to add the possibility to add a setting to reverse the swapping of pages... for me that I'm have two left hands (or two right hands ) is more natural in this way... if I try to use the left hand I obtain that the right one moves automatically on the right and horrendous things happens:
  1. The page swipe on the wrong direction
  2. The page swipe on the correct direction but the menu is shown too (as the other f*cking hand has touched the middle of the screen)
  3. Nothing happens as I'm pressing the two positions together and the reader in now confused on what he should do...

Thanks for the good work!
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #1134
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
I apologize for being thick...I searched the thread and Google (incl KOReader Wiki) and while I got the program installed fine, I can't figure out how to get the dictionary work.
I copied the files in /koreader/data/dict as per wiki and posts here, but when I try to select a word i get it highlighted and no option to do a search.
Is the functionality different from the Nickel reader?

Sort of "Off-topic": I was lead to believe that CoolReader now has dictionary support too (saw some posts from December...) but it might just be my wishful thinking.

ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #1135
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
I apologize for being thick...I searched the thread and Google (incl KOReader Wiki) and while I got the program installed fine, I can't figure out how to get the dictionary work.
I copied the files in /koreader/data/dict as per wiki and posts here, but when I try to select a word i get it highlighted and no option to do a search.
Is the functionality different from the Nickel reader?

Sort of "Off-topic": I was lead to believe that CoolReader now has dictionary support too (saw some posts from December...) but it might just be my wishful thinking.

have you tried both epub and pdf files? For pdf files you also need to copy the "tessdata" files, as the pdf has to be "scanned" for the dictionary to work. I would think that if this is the problem, the dictionary should work in the epub but not in the pdf books you have. If it does not work in the epub, then something else is wrong, perhaps just a typo in the path to the dictionaries?

As you say, the dictionary works as you describe: just select a word with a long press. The dictionary pops up, and if you have more than one installed you can touch the double arrows to move to the next dictionary.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #1136
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
[QUOTE=ipse;2823354I can't figure out how to get the dictionary work....
[/QUOTE]

If there is digital text, you don't need tesseract. If the text is scanned only, as in images of text, you will need Tesseract traineddata-files in the koreader/data/tesseract/.

Sometimes people start trying out with a non-verified Stardict dictionary. When you install Stardict for windows, it comes with an editor which can verify your dictionary.

Sometimes people forget to decompress the dict.dz-file to an dict-file.

Sometimes people forget to place all three files, dict-, ifo- and idx-files in the koreader/data/dict directory.

Anyway, here are some working dictionaries.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #1137
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
If there is digital text, you don't need tesseract. If the text is scanned only, as in images of text, you will need Tesseract traineddata-files in the koreader/data/tesseract/.

Sometimes people start trying out with a non-verified Stardict dictionary. When you install Stardict for windows, it comes with an editor which can verify your dictionary.

Sometimes people forget to decompress the dict.dz-file to an dict-file.

Sometimes people forget to place all three files, dict-, ifo- and idx-files in the koreader/data/dict directory.

Anyway, here are some working dictionaries.
Hmmm...I did uncompress the dict file and also had tesseract installed.
Also, I actually used the files from your link, but I'll double-check.
The files are in the right folder. Do I need a reboot or something to make it work?

Second...any feedback about CoolReader and dictionaries - I am used to CR from my tablets/phones. (yes, plural...I need to stop piling them up).

EDIT: I checked again and it turned out that the dictionary file had a slightly different name than the idx and ifo files.
Thank you for the guidance.

Last edited by ipse; 05-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #1138
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Done, see issue #559.

Now let's wait until an owner of Aura HD or Glo gets annoyed enough to generate those device specific binary files.
Great news!!!

Now lets see if we can enable translation via gettext on kobo. I see that github issue https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/474 seems pretty dead. I was looking at the code and maybe I'll be able to get the work done, but need some hints:

does koreader call the gettext binary directly or go through libintl?
in case koreader uses a wrapper for libintl maybe I need to put libintl into koreader lib folder?

When I built gettext from source I got an preloable_libntl, maybe I need to call the reader with:

LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/my/preloable_libintl.so ./reader.lua [options]

any way to see debug info related to loading libraries? (if i start reader.lua with -d option) I can only see debug information related to ts events and reader process info..

I have both spanish and galician translations semi-done but I can't check they until we have i18n support for kobo
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #1139
Haqqax
Haqqax began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
Thank you for the app ;-)

Hi, I just wanted to thank the developers of Koreader ;-)

I am very disappointed by the functionality of builtin application for PDF in my Aura HD. It's also disappointing not to have any built-in support for djvu. I like the book, I appreciate pocket integration, but for my books the built-in software is horrible. Without alternative I think I'd return the device use tablet or buy a reader with bigger screen.

I looked for alternative software, found Koreader and liked the idea of using specialized Lua interpreter in the background and writing the frontend in Lua. Installed the fmon and Koreader - no problems, everything worked as described in instructions. Tested it on PDFs that I happen to have on the device, and Koreader seems to be exactly what I was looking for - does landscape mode, margin cropping and moves about the file exactly as I want it. Somewhat laggish, but the built-in app feels the same. I hope it will work the well for djvu, too.

So - thank you people that created this app ;-)

I love it being "scripts" make the app easy to customize, I like the fact that you have chosen stardict as dict format and that you use tesseract for OCR. I think that one might try writing Koreader plugins in Lua - it has the feeling of openness.

I would be great to have a more "standard" way of launching it and customizing the default Kobo desktop - the way it's launched has this dirty-hackish feeling to it :-(, but its good that at least one can start it and leave it without reboots.

The only thing I did not like is that starting Koreader turns on the light. I click submit now and start searching how to disable this.
Haqqax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #1140
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There is a button on the top of the AuraHD that turns the frontlight on and off.

You might like tshering's "Kobo Start Menu". With it you can launch KOreader without having started kobo's nickel ui. I am not often reading PDFs or djvus which KOreader renders using a MUreader engine. I do notice that my AuraHD seems to function a little snappier since I started using the Start Menu.

Luck;
Ken