Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Sterk
Sterk began at the beginning.

Device: DPT RP1, IREX DR 1000S
Seeking an opinion...

Hi all

I read this forum silently a lot of months having in mind to buy an ebook reader for pdf reading. From what I have read, the Irex digital reader seems to be the best option for a pdf reader. It also seems the firmware 1.6 made the machine work smoothly. Is this accurate?
Furthermore I would appreciate if someone can update me on how fast is the DR 1000 in turning pages. I'm particularly interested to know if it is efficient to read coloured (I know DR is only black and white) books with many pictures (something like comics) which are usually more than 50mb...

I'm looking forward for your help...
Sterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Wecome to MobileRead, sterk.

answers, and opinions, will soon be coming your way.

Enjoy the journey.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterk View Post
Hi all

I read this forum silently a lot of months having in mind to buy an ebook reader for pdf reading. From what I have read, the Irex digital reader seems to be the best option for a pdf reader. It also seems the firmware 1.6 made the machine work smoothly. Is this accurate?
Furthermore I would appreciate if someone can update me on how fast is the DR 1000 in turning pages. I'm particularly interested to know if it is efficient to read coloured (I know DR is only black and white) books with many pictures (something like comics) which are usually more than 50mb...

I'm looking forward for your help...
Turning text pages are quite fast.. It takes, uhm, approx. 0.2 sec on average. However, it depends on format, view settings etc..
Turning back is slower (I think it depends on a sort of pre-cache function).

Fully and heavily colored pages need a lot more time (even 2 or more seconds, according to the complexity of the page), but the quality is pretty good.

Last edited by Warriah; 06-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I'd say if you want to see page turning go to youtube and type in DR1000 and there are some videos on there. I think they originated from this forum but its easier to search for them on Youtube because they are buried in the threads here. There's a couple specifically on page turning versus other devices
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Sterk

Thanks for your answers. I'm a happy owener of Irex 1000s from yesterday. I'm surprised from the quality of the screen and how confortable is to read books that previously was almost impossible in front of the pc screen.

I'm wondering why some people had so negative opinions about this product. It's simply amazing...
Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterk View Post
Thanks for your answers. I'm a happy owener of Irex 1000s from yesterday. I'm surprised from the quality of the screen and how confortable is to read books that previously was almost impossible in front of the pc screen.

I'm wondering why some people had so negative opinions about this product. It's simply amazing...
Sure about this??? Good, good. How about the battery life?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I think most of the negative feedback came before the 1.6 firmware update that came out about a month and a half ago, since then comments have been much more favorable.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I have many, many large filesize books with color images on my DR, and it does just fine rendering them. What tends to make a greater difference is how the PDF is layered.

Most of my books are roleplaying games, but they have charts, color images, and often complex layouts, much like text books.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Sterk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Sure about this??? Good, good. How about the battery life?
As many posts have mention the battery life is not very long. I have used the DR 1000 for 5-6 hours till now (with the stylus) and the battery is at 48% level. For me it's ok but if someone wants to charge it once every 2 weeks will find it inconvenient.

However I think that someone who buys such a big screen device doesn't have the super mobility in mind, given that the magnitude of the device make it a bit inconvenient for this.