Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
So long as I have access to it via my pc with my Polk TL3 speakers and CSW subwoofer I'm happy.
Monkey's super fantastic stereo system is an iPod touch 4, JBL speaker-dock, and Pandora (free)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #47
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I'd have to see how much the library subscription service cost, and what the selection was like, before deciding if I were interested.

As for music, I listen mainly to my local public radio station, and I am a contributing member, so I suppose in a way that is a subscription.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #48
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I can hook my iphone up to my home stereo system (or really anything with an audio in) to listen to pandora. The only issue is if someone tries to call me.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 AM   #49
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Pandora has 1.5 million paying subscribers ($36 a year). That's not a bad # considering their free service is also available on mobile devices.

The on-demand music side like Spotify doesn't allow free music on mobile devices (in hope to tempt listeners to switch).

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...k1gfgJzwEVjE8Q

Muve Music should be at around 1 million right about now since the number above isn't up to date. It is poised to overtake Rhapsody and Spotify in USA paid subscribers in the very near future. Because every Android phones you buy with Cricket (a regional prepaid carrier with 6 million customers) will come with Muve Music bundle along with your smartphone service ($50 a month for unlimited music download + unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data).

Not sure why Sirius XM is on the list because they only pay 8% of their revenue as music royalties. They are a subscription service but music is only a part of their overall subscription.

eMusic is another interesting player and has been stagnate (maybe even decline) ever since the streaming took off.

p.s. Just waiting for the IFPI to announce 2012 subscription # worldwide. Even a modest 35% increase would bring it to over 18 million subscribers worldwide.

2010: 8.2 million paying subscribers
2011: 13.4 million paying subscribers (growth of 63%)
2012: ?----------(18 million if the growth rate slow down to 35%)
2013: ?
2014: ?
2015: ?
2016: ?

Just the biggest 2 (Spotify and Deezer) right now combined for 8 million paying subscribers.

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 12-31-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #50
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hmmm ... those are good numbers for Deezer. I used to be a member but they apparently kicked me off when they dropped service to the US.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #51
Yves Gorat
Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Very interesting discussion. Staying with music portals: Isn't it so that the revenue artists are making from music sales these days is decreasing, while they push merchandise and of course gigs? Maybe that is something that will need to be thought about for eBooks as well. If one day all eBooks are "out there" either for free or for a subscription price (or both), total industry income will likely go down. How can the book industry do what the music industry is in the process of doing, which is creating full-on experiences (live gigs, merchandise, clothes, ...)?
Yves Gorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Gorat View Post
How can the book industry do what the music industry is in the process of doing, which is creating full-on experiences (live gigs, merchandise, clothes, ...)?
It can't.
The music business is about performances and transient experiences whereas books are more about specific ideas.
With music, even recordings (audio or video) can't capture all the value of a live performance, whereas a book's value is completely encapsulated between the book and the reader. There is no subsidiary value to be monetized.
That is one of the reasons ebooks are so effective; they strip away the material encumbrances without stripping any of the ideas that define the narrative--in techie terms, they are a lossless encoding of the full experience. (Unless you are a smell fetishist. )

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I've tried spotify and pandora and they don't sound very good. Even 192k mp3 sounds better. No way I pay for that. FM is better.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #54
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've tried spotify and pandora and they don't sound very good. Even 192k mp3 sounds better. No way I pay for that.
When you pay for Spotify it's at 320 kbps.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #55
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've tried spotify and pandora and they don't sound very good. Even 192k mp3 sounds better. No way I pay for that. FM is better.
You have to enable 320k on the mobile and desktop apps and subscribe. On desktop it's "high quality streaming" and on mobile something similar.

There's another reason some people have said Spotify sounds low quality though. What was originally thought to be poor compression/conversion of the tracks, turns out to be DRM watermarks applied by UMG (which despite alternatives that are not) is audible.

Even worse, UMG have been applying this to lossless tracks they sell via 3rd parties. The lossless tracks have audible noise, not really what people are expecting when they buy a lossless track.

edit: source http://www.mattmontag.com/music/univ...ible-watermark
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #56
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I really love Rdio on the iPhone, I get access to a huge collection of music for $9.99 a month that I can stream or download (the downloading is the main reason I love it, aside from it being available in Canada that is). I can't really see myself paying for an ebook subscription though, my consumption of e-books is just different. With an ebook, I'm investing a lot of time into one item, with music I'm looking for quick experiences and a lot of them in short order.

I guess the closest parallel for me would be Audible for audio books. I had a subscription to Audible but ended up cancelling it after a few months, preferring to just buy an audiobook every once in awhile rather than paying a monthly fee to download one audio book a month. Aubible isn't a great example obviously since you don't get the option to stream their entire audiobook library.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote