Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Font issue in "Telegraph Avenue"

My Paperwhite will not show this book in any of the PW's fonts. I bought the book from Amazon. Fonts do work on other books.

Anyone see this before?
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Most likely the publisher embedded a font. Either it is an old style Topaz book or a KF8 with embedded font. Not much you can do other than liberate it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Most likely the publisher embedded a font. Either it is an old style Topaz book or a KF8 with embedded font. Not much you can do other than liberate it.
It just came out a few weeks ago. I tried to redownload; same issue. Now why would a publisher do that??
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some do it because that is how printed books are made. But with digital text it is best to let the reader choose the font they like best.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hmmm. I bought it when it was released, and it looks fine on my Kindle Keyboard 3.4. I have NiJuLe's font hack installed, with added Georgia2 serif fonts.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Wildgift
Connoisseur

It's not that it looks bad. I'd just like to read it in Futura.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am unable to change font on some books as well. I guess it's due to embedding, as mentioned above. Not sure I understand why anyone would want to lock you into a particular font, being it the publisher or Amazon. But it's not a huge deal, to me. I have never really been obsessed with fonts.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Just to confirm the issue:

You can only toggle 'Publisher's Fonts' on and off, and trying to switch to one of the default Kindle fonts while Publisher's Fonts is off results in nothing changing: the book always uses the font it 'wants' (using the fonts available on the Kindle, though, not the embedded ones)?

If that's it, then, yeah, I have a few books like that... It happens on FW 3.4, but not on the Touch, with the exact same files... So if that still happens on the PW, I guess it's finally time I reduced this to a simple testcase to check what the issue really is...

(FWIW, that seems to happen mostly in books using multiple families for styling: chapter headings in Sans, some stuff in monospace, and the body in Serif, for example. On the Touch, everything's properly overriden by the Kindle, while on FW 3.4, the book holds the reins...).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Just to confirm the issue:

You can only toggle 'Publisher's Fonts' on and off, and trying to switch to one of the default Kindle fonts while Publisher's Fonts is off results in nothing changing: the book always uses the font it 'wants' (using the fonts available on the Kindle, though, not the embedded ones)?

If that's it, then, yeah, I have a few books like that... It happens on FW 3.4, but not on the Touch, with the exact same files... So if that still happens on the PW, I guess it's finally time I reduced this to a simple testcase to check what the issue really is...

(FWIW, that seems to happen mostly in books using multiple families for styling: chapter headings in Sans, some stuff in monospace, and the body in Serif, for example. On the Touch, everything's properly overriden by the Kindle, while on FW 3.4, the book holds the reins...).
I don't even have publisher fonts as an option at all for this book. I do for others.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I don't even have publisher fonts as an option at all for this book. I do for others.
Is it a Topaz?

If it is a KF8 book with embedded font(s) the publisher fonts option should be available, unless there is a bug.

It is possible to NOT embed a font but rather call out a specific font via CSS like they do for web pages. I should think the Kindles would normally ignore that bit of CSS though. However, I guess it is possible that if that referenced font corresponds to a font native to the Kindle PW it might lock it in and not allow any changes to another font. If that is the case, then Amazon needs to modify the FW to allow user override.

EDIT: With Sony readers it is easy to add custom fonts to a folder on the reader then use the method I described above with CSS to cause the reader to use that custom font. I did this all the time when I wanted to read in a particular font. It is usually not considered cool for publishers to force a font on us, but some still do it on occasion.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Wildgift
Connoisseur

I don't know what a topaz is. It's a book I bought a few weeks ago from amazon, on my kndle touch.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I don't know what a topaz is. It's a book I bought a few weeks ago from amazon, on my kndle touch.
Topaz is a book format that is occasionally used for Kindles. It is very similar to a PDF, but tailored a bit more for small screen readers like the Kindles. Some older books were printed but there is no digital file available for them containing the text. So the publisher basically scans the book and creates a Topaz formatted Kindle book from the scans. They are usually horrible to read.

I suspect the book you bought is simply one in which the dopey publisher tried to force a specific font via CSS (cascading style sheets).
Old 10-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

@Wildgift, what it the book's title? I'll download the sample and see if I have the same issue. I can do a little naughty stuff to it to see if the publisher forced a font.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The book title is in the thread title.

http://www.amazon.com/Telegraph-Aven...legraph+Avenue

I downloaded the sample, and the font won't change in the sample. The file extension is .azw3.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
dragonette
dragonette began at the beginning.

Device: E-Ink
I have a Kindle Keyboard with firmware 3.4 and have encountered the same problem with the samples of Snuff (A Discworld Novel) by Terry Pratchett and Devil Said Bang (A Sandman Slim Novel) by Richard Kadrey. I believe they are KF8 files and not Topaz because they are very recent publications and Calbre reads them as AZW3. There is no option to turn the publisher font on/off, and switching between regular--condensed--sans serif changes nothing. When I contacted Kindle support they said it was the publisher's fault. The publisher never responded to my inquiry.

Attachment 93545

Attachment 93546

Attachment 93547

Attachment 93548

(I hope I have done the attachments correctly)

Last edited by dragonette; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
dragonette is offline   Reply With Quote