Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #1
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
New docx conversion

For once, no question, no bug report, only thank you!
In a twinkle of an eye, it does everything I did manually before when exporting epub to word processor formats.
Completely different of the old RTF export, which was not aimed to create ebook source files.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I like it too. Very useful.

I just made some tests with an cookbook (a hard example ). I recognize some things:

a) Inline Toc links are "external" links where I need to use [ctrl+enter] to go to the text in.
b) There is a a mix of sometime correct read headlines and sometimes recognize as paragraphs
b) pictures loosing the original aspect ratio. These seems to be depending on output profiles too.
c) I have page breaks within recipes. It seems, that there is some hotpotch in translating styles
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Divingduck:

a) That is by design, all links are hyperlinks, whether in a ToC or not

For the rest I have to look at a sample file to comment.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The file is huge. I just prepare a upload via launchpad and will send you a password for the archive file via PM.

Best regards,
Armin
Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If uploading a copyrighted file via launchpad, you can mark the bug as a private bug and then only Kovid can access it anway. (As per the instructions at http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs )

Kovid, congrats on the new DOCX Output. Looks nice
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Divingduck
Wizard

Yeah, I know. I'm a bit old school and send these kind material only with PW at launchpad.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:39 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've noticed that in my conversions to DOCX, from poor quality input, I get a boatload of styles. After tidying up the documents, all styles are still there. Here's a macro to delete unused styles from a document, use it after you've done your editing.

Code:
Sub DeleteUnusedStyles()
    Dim oStyle As Style
    For Each oStyle In ActiveDocument.Styles
        'Only check out non-built-in styles
        If oStyle.BuiltIn = False Then
            With ActiveDocument.Content.Find
                .ClearFormatting
                .Style = oStyle.NameLocal
                .Execute FindText:="", Format:=True
                If .Found = False Then oStyle.Delete
            End With
        End If
    Next oStyle
End Sub
Whoops - and thanks for the new feature Kovid - appears to have been a non-trivial piece of work

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-17-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Add - Whoops
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #9
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Cover image is low definition

Since the 2015/05/15 update, I notice that the ebook converter (I begin to use it instead of Amanuensis!) sometimes creates books with fuzzy low quality cover images instead of those I put in the folder: something like those created by old Calibre versions in each book folder with the same name as the book. Seems Calibre downscales the image, as there are not such images in my folders. Image size is something like 199x316 px, and it is replaced with the true cover.jpg when you open the epub with the ebook editor.
It happens with both Windows and Linux versions.
As I was testing the epub to docx fonction, it always happened with sources converted from epub to docx, then saved to odt with LibreOffice (as I know odt better than docx), but probably not connected.

Last edited by Francois_C; 05-22-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you do not want images to be resized, simply choose the Tablet output profile in the Page setup section of the conversion dialog.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 AM   #11
Francois_C
Zealot

Thank you, Kovid. I'll set the size to Tablet. I did not notice the cover was resized before. Since I began to use Calibre in January 2012, it was set for a generic Kobo, (536x710, whilst we use three Kobos, Mini, generic and Aura H2O), and the size I got since the last update was strangely small (316 px high). It did not happen every time, and the editor would reset the size to that of cover.jpg.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
Divingduck
Wizard

@BetterRed, just see that I didn't answer to your macro. Your macro this is very helpful to clean up not needed styles from a EPUB. I use similar macros for cleaning up word formats when I prepare OCR files.

Thanks for this one