Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want only ebooks in the Literary club
Yes 18 60.00%
No 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ebooks only

This is an unofficial poll. I'm curious what other participants think.

Please vote only if you participate in the Literary book club.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I voted yes. Ebooks only.

I originally didn't mind pbooks in the Literary Club, but IMO, there are too many being nominated and I want to read ebooks.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted no. I think it just narrows our options and will make some categories needlessly older than they need to be. As more and more publishers refuse access to libraries and availability through retailers becomes more and more single retailer only I think we need to keep things as open as possible. Just saying e-book does not make a title any more available to members.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This is an unofficial poll. I'm curious what other participants think.

Please vote only if you participate in the Literary book club.
John, I really do not mean to be provocative, but I thought this poll did just that, and my secret hope was that nobody would vote - why this poll? You may be only curious, but I think it runs the risk of being highly distracting, getting us to talk about process rather than content. We are a small group (just nine voted for the period), so if it turns out that half of us go one way and half of us the other, what then? As HIMS wrote elsewhere, from time to time this preference will influence the choice (as, I suspect, happened this month), so why be prescriptive?

Anyhow, as there were six votes there already, I voted too
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
... You may be only curious, but I think it runs the risk of being highly distracting, getting us to talk about process rather than content. ...
I guess I didn't see it as a distraction. I thought that other members, like myself, were getting frustrated with the lack of ebooks.

My apologies for causing a disturbance. I'll stop.
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
These past couple months I have considered participating in the literary book club, and voted for both because sometimes the e-book isn't available to borrow in the library.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a major bias towards ebooks, but I tend to agree that at this stage limiting the choice of format, limits the choice of content so I voted no.

I'm a little disadvantaged by the pbooks option but the club is populated by more people than just myself.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Well, I have a very strong preference for e-books. I really find them much easier to read. But the poll is for e-books only and we are a small group dealing with a specific area of reading interest.

If there were a choice between an e-book and a pbook, I would always go for the former if I thought I might like it {and if there were no serious price differential}. Sometimes I already have the pbook in my personal library anyhow and can use it if needed.

So, while I hope that an e-book will be the normal or default selection—all things {especially price} being equal—in the end, I was convinced that the safer option was to be inclusive, so I voted "no".
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would like to start participating more, and eBooks are a lot more convenient for me. It might take a few weeks for a paperbook to get to here from Amazon and there are no real book stores close (e.g Chapters, Indigo).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I voted no. I prefer ebooks since my personal choices are 99% ebooks. However, I don't want to limit the options, and I am discovering so many great books just through the nomination threads. I very much enjoyed the November selection, Spring Snow, even though it was paperback only.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I voted No. Whilst ebooks are vastly more convenient, and I actually don't want to read pbooks anymore (I've only read one since acquiring my Kindle over a year ago), I'd rather not limit our options and potentially miss out on a masterpiece.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote