Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Len666
Enthusiast
Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3W
Will connecting to the internet lead to firmware update?

Hi Folks.

My wife and I both have a Kindle 3W. We have a huge amount of ebooks so we don't really need to shop at Amazon e.a.

I am thinking, when I do want to use the browser and connect to the internet using wifi, what will happen? Will Amazon try to update my Kindle with new firmware?

Will that have consequences in any way? I just use it like it came, no jailbreaking or so. Our Kindles are using 3.0.1. at the moment.

Sorry for sounding both paranoid and ignorant but these thoughts do come up.

Thanks for your time,
Len.
Len666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
yes, if you turn Whispernet on and there is a current firmware update active - then you will receive it unless you install one of the hacks to prevent automatic updates. You can find those up in the developers forum.

I'm just curious though, is there a particular reason you don't want the most current firmware?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should update. There were significant stability problems with the browser in firmware 3.0.1 which have subsequently been fixed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Len666
Enthusiast
Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Len666 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm just curious though, is there a particular reason you don't want the most current firmware?
Well, I guess it's not 100% rational but I just don't like the idea of not being in charge over my own stuff.
Next to that our Kindles work just fine, so I don't feel any need.
Third, maybe I want to experiment in the future and would the firmware of that moment prevent that. I have no idea if you can roll back to previous versions.

Thank you, and Harry T. for your replies.
Len.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Well, the latest update went out over wifi, not the 3G network. I've been able to turn on my 3G many many times without it updating (because I don't have a wifi connection).

But usually they do send the updates out over 3G, I think that last one was just too big to justify the cost of doing so.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Len666
Enthusiast

Update over wifi

Thanks Jane,
I connected to the internet, update was downloaded via wifi and I could choose if I wanted to update or not. The procedure is totally clear now of course.
Len.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My K3 never updated, and I connect to wireless often. There is no guaranty one was or the other.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
As a related question, if the Kindle only updates over WiFi, how are those of us with no WiFi supposed to update? My Nook allows me to download the file and transfer over USB; any way to do this with Kindle?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you can do the same with the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len666 View Post
Third, maybe I want to experiment in the future and would the firmware of that moment prevent that.
If it did it would only be a temporary problem because the people who enable experimenting would issue an update soon after.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote