Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a pbook, anyone can read it. With an ebook, you might get DRM so nobody can read it.
See my post #4 in this thread, Jon. I've already covered the huge benefits of DRM there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
With a pbook, anyone can read it. With an ebook, you might get DRM so nobody can read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
See my post #4 in this thread, Jon. I've already covered the huge benefits of DRM there!
The benefits of DRM are that someday in the future, you won't be able to ever read that DRM filled ebook you once bought without first stripping the DRM and converting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Some people don't seem to notice the game we're playing here... :sigh.:
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Some people don't seem to notice the game we're playing here... :sigh.:
Indeed. It appears my attempt at humor is lost on some.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Paperback books suck because they won't fit in my CD/DVD burner and thus, I cannot back them up on to CD/DVD.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Dead tree books suck, because we get cheated out of the wonderful extra DRM that comes free with BBeB (LRX) and MobiPocket ebooks.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Paperback books suck because they won't fit in my CD/DVD burner and thus, I cannot back them up on to CD/DVD.
Nice one!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Dead tree books suck because bittorrent won't upload them to all the people who want a copy without paying for it.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Dead tree books suck because the paper they are made of involves toxic bleach which produces dioxins, one of the most toxic substances known.

Also, they can cause domestic strife, when your partner says, "you bought MORE books?"
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #25
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Paper books suck because if you want to make the copy's text larger it requires the purchase and application of optional and non-standard equipment.

LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #26
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Dead tree books suck because when I pick up a really bad book I can't just delete it and be done with it, I actually have to find some dupe to *gift* it to!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Dead tree books suck because you can't adjust the font size. Since acquiring the Sony Reader I no longer need to wear reading glasses in public, - not even on badly-lit trains - which is very nice for me.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Dead tree books suck because you can't adjust the font size. Since acquiring the Sony Reader I no longer need to wear reading glasses in public, - not even on badly-lit trains - which is very nice for me.
My wife who has glasses got contact lenses the last time she had her eyes checked. She enjoys not having to deal with glasses.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Dead tree books suck because they kill trees to make romance novels.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #30
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I only need them for fine print and can't bear the idea of sticking things into my eyes. So the Sony Reader is rather useful in that respect.

Quote:
My wife who has glasses got contact lenses the last time she had her eyes checked. She enjoys not having to deal with glasses.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote