Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #1711
ctbk
ctbk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi! Looking at the previous messages I was not able to find a similar behaviour to what I'm experiencing, I hope this is not a dupe.

Basically after I've added a new book and I execute the Count Pages action the plugin will store in the dedicated column the word count. If I execute it again (and all the next times) it correctly stores the pages count.

Looking at the logs, it counts consistently pages & words on both runs. The difference is that the first run on a new book (and only the first) it will store the wrong number of the two.

It's not a big deal (I usually just run the plugin twice) but I find it curious.

I'm on the latest version of Calibre/Count Pages, running on a M1 Macbook, but this has been going on for a long time.
ctbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:14 AM   #1712
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbk View Post
Hi! Looking at the previous messages I was not able to find a similar behaviour to what I'm experiencing, I hope this is not a dupe.

Basically after I've added a new book and I execute the Count Pages action the plugin will store in the dedicated column the word count. If I execute it again (and all the next times) it correctly stores the pages count.

Looking at the logs, it counts consistently pages & words on both runs. The difference is that the first run on a new book (and only the first) it will store the wrong number of the two.

It's not a big deal (I usually just run the plugin twice) but I find it curious.

I'm on the latest version of Calibre/Count Pages, running on a M1 Macbook, but this has been going on for a long time.
That does sound very odd and not something I have ever seen/experienced. However I would need a lot more than your description to look into it. Attach the log files from both the first time you run and the second time for the book. Are you definitely using the same method each time of invoking - you are not using the internet for one (which has no word count) and the plugins built in algorithms for the second run for instance. Also include a screenshot of your settings so can confirm what custom columns are assigned to each.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #1713
ctbk

Here are the logs for both runs.

To launch the page count I've always used the button I've got on the main Calibre toolbar with the book selected in the Library view.

It's pretty weird, I agree...

I'm attaching the screenshots of the settings and the results of the first and second run: https://imgur.com/a/ROw3CZ5 (it seems like imgur flagged the images as "mature", I don't know why. I assure you it's safe to open them )

First Run:

Count Page/Word Statistics
do_count_statistics - book_path=/var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/ze2sc2nm_count_pages/2122.epub, pages_algorithm=0, page_count_mode=Estimate, statistics_to_run=['PageCount', 'WordCount'], custom_chars_per_page=1500, icu_wordcount=True
do_count_statistics - job started for file book_path=/var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/ze2sc2nm_count_pages/2122.epub
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 2122 (Rimini - Pier Vittorio Tondelli)
Method of counting _page_count_mode=Estimate _download_sources=[]
results= {'PageCount': 358, 'WordCount': 99523}
Found 358 pages
Found 99523 words
do_statistics_for_book: /var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/ze2sc2nm_count_pages/2122.epub 0 Estimate [] ['PageCount', 'WordCount'] 1500 True
Calculating page count using APNX Accurate algorithm
Estimated accurate page count
Lines: 11109 Divs: 37 Paras: 2331
Accurate count: 358 Fast count: 300
Page count: 358
Word count using icu_wordcount - trying to count_words
Word count - used count_words: 99523
Word count: 99523

Second Run:

Count Page/Word Statistics
do_count_statistics - book_path=/var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/tde8htyv_count_pages/2122.epub, pages_algorithm=0, page_count_mode=Estimate, statistics_to_run=['PageCount', 'WordCount'], custom_chars_per_page=1500, icu_wordcount=True
do_count_statistics - job started for file book_path=/var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/tde8htyv_count_pages/2122.epub
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 2122 (Rimini - Pier Vittorio Tondelli)
Method of counting _page_count_mode=Estimate _download_sources=[]
results= {'PageCount': 358, 'WordCount': 99523}
Found 358 pages
Found 99523 words
do_statistics_for_book: /var/folders/bl/s0tkk9nx3vsfm2pb8scfnw2c0000gq/C/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_5bvwbe10/tde8htyv_count_pages/2122.epub 0 Estimate [] ['PageCount', 'WordCount'] 1500 True
Calculating page count using APNX Accurate algorithm
Estimated accurate page count
Lines: 11109 Divs: 37 Paras: 2331
Accurate count: 358 Fast count: 300
Page count: 358
Word count using icu_wordcount - trying to count_words
Word count - used count_words: 99523
Word count: 99523
Old 10-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #1714
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
As I suspected - look again at your settings in the screenshot. You have the same custom column of #pages assigned to the word count column. You need a second custom column assigned there, such as #words
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:46 AM   #1715
ctbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
As I suspected - look again at your settings in the screenshot. You have the same custom column of #pages assigned to the word count column. You need a second custom column assigned there, such as #words
That was a heck of a blind spot for me!

Thanks, it makes sense.
Advert
Old 11-15-2023, 06:17 AM   #1716
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I would like, again, to ask for support for the current Calibre Viewer page numbers.

🤞

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:38 AM   #1717
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-15-2023 at 02:11 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #1718
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I would like, again, to ask for support for the current Calibre Viewer page numbers.

🤞

Since version 1.13.1, this plugin shows the actual Calibre Viewer page count, see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1666

Note that you need to re-run it on books that got the column #pages populated with the previous/outdated Count Pages Viewer algorithm!
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:20 AM   #1719
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Oh. My apologies

I have now updated the plugin and it works. I have complained about a non-issue.

😍

nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #1720
frengo
frengo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi! Looking at the previous messages I was not able to find a solution for my problem. Apologies if someone else asked this before.

I'm having a problem with the word count. The plugin is all set correctly. I added a book to my library, downloaded goodreads metadata, launched the plugin estimating the word count and got a certain number in the column. I then proceeded to delete a portion of the text and launched again the plugin and i got a lower number. Good. After that i tried to download from goodreads but the number is not updating (the option to override is ticked). I tried downloading from other sources too but with the same result. Am i doing something wrong?
frengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:17 PM   #1721
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
From Goodreads you only get pages, I think, no word counts.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #1722
frengo

Then why does it say "Download page/word counts"? Also none of the others seem to work either.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #1723
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you create CUSTOM COLUMNS and then configure the plugin on which to use?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:36 PM   #1724
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
From Goodreads you only get pages, I think, no word counts.
From Goodreads, you get incorrect page counts for eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #1725
frengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you create CUSTOM COLUMNS and then configure the plugin on which to use?
Yes. I don’t care about pages so i skipped the creation of the column for that matter and i created just the column for the word counts. Do i need another column for goodreads counts?

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin