Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #106
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So you are getting the 800S without the G? For $600?

BOb
Looks like it... I really wonder what the Best Buy deal will be. Because if it'll really be $399, it's absolutely worth it trying to buy it from the US, even with S&H and VAT added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
According to their press release:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/abou..._Reader_DR800S

If this is not the case, then they seriously have internal problems.
Yes...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #107
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I love this:
Quote:
Long Battery life – With a full battery, the lightweight IREX Digital Reader allows you to read for hours, and hours without recharging.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #108
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Isn't the 800 supposed to sell for $400 at Best Buy? why is in $599 directly from iRex?

And I still don't see it at BestBuys web site.

BOb
It's not available for $599 directly from iRex. You're talking about two different devices.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #109
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's not available for $599 directly from iRex. You're talking about two different devices.
This what is this?

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...8dea6633086fc9

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #110
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the DR800S device for the European market. It's not the same thing as the DR800SG device announced for $399 at BestBuy.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the DR800S device for the European market. It's not the same thing as the DR800SG device announced for $399 at BestBuy.
I know that. But my point is... how can the DR800S which is basically the same MINUS 1 feature be $600US when the DR800SG is supposed to be $400?

BOb
Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #112
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I know that. But my point is... how can the DR800S which is basically the same MINUS 1 feature be $600US when the DR800SG is supposed to be $400?

BOb
The US version includes a partnership with Barnes and Nobles for selling content to DR800 owners. Along with that probably comes some sort of subsidizing deal. Plus, it's not uncommon to have different price points in US vs European markets. Electronics over there are usually more expensive.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #113
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The US version includes a partnership with Barnes and Nobles for selling content to DR800 owners. Along with that probably comes some sort of subsidizing deal. Plus, it's not uncommon to have different price points in US vs European markets. Electronics over there are usually more expensive.
Yes, but that is the price the sell to you if you are in the US... you know... by setting the little drop down on their page. So, they are not limiting this device to European sales.

Bottom line, I won't be buying on of these for $600 anyway. Was just curious how they justify the huge price differences.

BOb
Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #114
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, but that is the price the sell to you if you are in the US... you know... by setting the little drop down on their page. So, they are not limiting this device to European sales.
I'm not sure they would actually ship a DR800S to a US buyer, has anyone tried? I think the fact that the shop automatically gives you the price in $ rather than Euros when you tell it your location is in the US is just a general feature of the software that runs their web app. I don't know if it's really available. The original press release for the DR800S listed a bunch of countries where it is available, and the US wasn't one of them.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #115
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
I'm not sure they would actually ship a DR800S to a US buyer, has anyone tried? I think the fact that the shop automatically gives you the price in $ rather than Euros when you tell it your location is in the US is just a general feature of the software that runs their web app. I don't know if it's really available. The original press release for the DR800S listed a bunch of countries where it is available, and the US wasn't one of them.
Agreed. I think the situation is getting confusing because the store automatically lists the price depending on your country, but the announcement was very clear on which countries would be getting the 800S and the U.S. was not part of that list. Lot's of speculation taking place because of the lack of any official DR800SG status from irex.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #116
vt100
vt100 began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook-Lite
The Irex shop lets me add it to my cart and offers shipping to the US at $67.61. I'm not going through with the purchase to see if it works but it sure looks like it would.
vt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #117
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt100 View Post
The Irex shop lets me add it to my cart and offers shipping to the US at $67.61. I'm not going through with the purchase to see if it works but it sure looks like it would.
I just entered a dummy order all the way through to the payment page. The total came up to US$666.61. They accept credit card or paypal for payment.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #118
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Oh, really? When did they fix the Iliad? I must have missed it.
That was in an alternate history book .. I forget the name of the author
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #119
kees
kees began at the beginning.

Device: palm E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You quoted my post before I edited it; it's actually scheduled for April, but, as I've said in my previous post, it's never a good idea to buy based on "promised" features.

Why the cynicism, by the way? iRex have a reasonable record when it comes to delivering firmware updates.
yeh, every iLiad owner can confirm it.
kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #120
professzore
Connoisseur
professzore began at the beginning.

Device: Something 8" in a 6" body: RS800 or similar (txtr with +2 inches)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Don't worry, there are countries that are even higher: Hungary has a low VAT of 18% (if I remember correctly) and high of 25%.
Almost... All gross prices have 20% TAX, excluding a very narrow range of goods (for example: books, basic foods like bread or milk, some medicines, some services), which have 4.76% sales TAX. That all means, sales tax is 25% (higher) or 5% (lower) of NET price.
And we have an 18% duty on all goods came from outside the E.U.
For example, a Kindle 2 have a net price of (((259 USD + 25 USD (p/p)) + 18% duty) + 25% sales tax) = 419 USD.
professzore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex