Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Sirjamessmi
Sirjamessmi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Crash I don't understand

Sorry if this gets a little long. I have been having problems with Calibre crashing on my Windows 7, 64 bit machine for about the last ten versions. If I do a convert Calibre shutsdown. If I do several meta data changes Calibre shutsdown. I have read and tried most everything I could find to try and fix the problem, cleaned swap file, uninstalled programs others said caused problems and no luck fixing the problem. I don't think it's a bug in Calibre I think it's a Windows problem or an installed software problem. I'm just at an end as to where to look for the problem.
Also I have a portable harddrive that has Linux setup on it, so I can boot this same machine into Linux. I have Calibre for Linux setup on this harddrive and it works perfect. So I've been using the Linux version to convert books and moving them over to the windows drive. Same version and same settings on both Calibre windows and Linux.
I have saved bug reports and all they say is
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.2
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...

Samething everytime I run debug mode, this is where it shuts down.

Thank You
Sirjamessmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjamessmi View Post
Sorry if this gets a little long. I have been having problems with Calibre crashing on my Windows 7, 64 bit machine for about the last ten versions. If I do a convert Calibre shutsdown. If I do several meta data changes Calibre shutsdown. I have read and tried most everything I could find to try and fix the problem, cleaned swap file, uninstalled programs others said caused problems and no luck fixing the problem. I don't think it's a bug in Calibre I think it's a Windows problem or an installed software problem. I'm just at an end as to where to look for the problem.
Also I have a portable harddrive that has Linux setup on it, so I can boot this same machine into Linux. I have Calibre for Linux setup on this harddrive and it works perfect. So I've been using the Linux version to convert books and moving them over to the windows drive. Same version and same settings on both Calibre windows and Linux.
I have saved bug reports and all they say is
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.2
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...

Samething everytime I run debug mode, this is where it shuts down.

Thank You
That is a normal start... so far. The only difference is My Calibre is still running

I suspect a damaged (Windows) system Font (or a non-font in the Fonts folder).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Have you seen this: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ck-on-anything
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Sirjamessmi

Thank you for the help, I have rebuilt my font library and ran a system file check, I have had Wacom tablet and mouse on my system but both are disabled.
Still Calibre shuts down after starting a conversion. It waits about ten seconds (I'm guessing setting up the job) then just as you think the job will start the program shuts down.I'm sure it's a software conflict somewhere I just can't find it.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want to investigate further youd have to install windebug and see if it says anything useful. Though to make it really useful you'd have to compile calibre from source with debugging symbols.
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you have many programs running continuously in the system tray, try closing those that provide an exit/close option in their right click menu.

Have you tried running Calibre in Safe Mode - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-is-safe-mode

Easy way to start it http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ng-the-f8-key/

If it works OK in safe mode then its almost certainly a conflict - a process of elimination is the best way to find it - but tedious.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Sirjamessmi

I think I found the problem several hours later. The conflict seems to be with RoboForm, a program I have used for years. I guess in one of their updates they became incompatable with Calibre. This is a repeatable crash with the same cause. I reboot, run Calibre with Roboform running and when I try and do a convert from epub to mobi Calibre shuts down. I turn off Roboform and Calibre converts the file everytime and continues to run. I even got a copy of Roboform2Go, the portable Roboform that installs on a USB drive and it acts the very same way the desktop version works. This might be something someone else has found and reported but I never saw it. It also could be something that happens only on my system.
Thank You all for the help
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Sirjamessmi

Ok a little bit more. Roboform tries to attach itself to windows programs when they open. This seems to be the problem causing Calibre to shut down. Inside options in Roboform there is a section called Application Integration. Inside this section you can have Roboform automatically attach to Windows Applications. Also you can set up a black list of programs you don't want to automatically attach to Roboform. I put Calibre in the black list section so Roboform wouldn't try and attach to it. It seems to have fixed my shut down problems when converting with Calibre. Again I have done reboots to make sure the problem is repeteable and fixable with what I've done.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Good to know. I'll add it to the list of known things that cause calibre crashes.