Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
iPad or jetBook Color - what schools will choose?

or

Schools get in touch with digital books
Districts see benefits in shift from traditional textbooks

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...page=2#article

In their announcement, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski encouraged schools and companies to pursue getting digital textbooks into students’ hands within five years.

We spend $7 billion a year on textbooks, and for many students around the country, they’re out of date,” Genachowski said. By switching to digital versions, “we could be spending less as a society on textbooks and getting more for it.”

What solution is better for kids - jetBook Color with Color E ink screen or iPad with LCD screen? Why so many schools choose iPad when LCD screen is not good for reading?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Why so many schools choose iPad when LCD screen is not good for reading?
The answer is not simple; probably there is no unique answer. There are also a principle: the innovation desire. E-ink in general is too similar to paper in terms of benefits/defects and paper is not innovative. So many people think eink reader are far less innovative than a tablet that can do any sort of miracles with a fast screen and good touch inputs.
This is not only a problem have/not have colors but also of multimedia in general.

After I said that, I can confirm I am quite happy to study on eink screen and I take a lots of advantages in Triton screen (it's not universal feeling: someone here dislike this kind of screen). But maybe I am too old (?).
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I just had this conversation with a school board member and a principal. The answer is marketing. Neither was aware of any alternative. The principal already had an iPad and could not understand why the schools would not spend 'a couple bucks more' to get each kid one.

My suggestion was to insist on a platform independent solution so that the schools could 1) let the kids use their own readers, and 2) the schools could put their hardware out to bid each cycle without worrying about compatability.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This is a no-brainer. Apple has the market position. School board members and parents all know the iPad. Same position IBM had in the old days. Nobody in IT ever got fired for buying IBM. Same deal for buying iPads. Buy Jetbooks and you will risk your career.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
ThisIsMyUserName
Banned
ThisIsMyUserName began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
This is a no-brainer. Apple has the market position. School board members and parents all know the iPad. Same position IBM had in the old days. Nobody in IT ever got fired for buying IBM. Same deal for buying iPads. Buy Jetbooks and you will risk your career.
Eventually "in the old days" might be used in the same reference to Apple products the way you so freely used it with IBM's. Perhaps people should think about which solution works best for them and makes delivery of their curriculum more convenient.

It seems as if there is a lot of conversion needed to be done in order for the iPad to work for schools and their students. If that is easy to do, then great. Upon first glance at the JetBook, it looks like someone as non-geekish as myself could transfer my data from my laptop into jetBook. Maybe I'm reading the details wrong, but it looks like jetBook is more convenient for school use and the iPad for the rest of us nonscholarly folk. iPad was made for the general population and Etaco made JetBook for students. I'd like to take a look at one and see if my son's school has already tested them.
ThisIsMyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I don't think any eink readers out there are good enough for schools. The iPad is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I haven't seen any news articles saying they will buy jetbooks. I've seen article after article about iPads being purchased for schools. I think the iPad has better capabilities. I use the iPad with my kids for education. The khan academy app is absolutely fantastic. & there are sooooooooo many educational apps out there for any age range.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
ThisIsMyUserName, public schools are run on politics more than rational or best-of-breed decisions. Your sentiment is appreciated here among us geeks but it won't play in Kansas.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
It seems as if there is a lot of conversion needed to be done in order for the iPad to work for schools and their students. If that is easy to do, then great. Upon first glance at the JetBook, it looks like someone as non-geekish as myself could transfer my data from my laptop into jetBook. Maybe I'm reading the details wrong, but it looks like jetBook is more convenient for school use and the iPad for the rest of us nonscholarly folk. iPad was made for the general population and Etaco made JetBook for students. I'd like to take a look at one and see if my son's school has already tested them.
There should be IT in charge of getting/pushing books and other instructional materials into whatever device the school ends up buying. The device only needs to be easy to use for both the teachers and the students.

The problem with e-ink is the lack of flexibility. Instructional material aren't limited to just textbooks now. If you go with LCD, then you can even use interactive programs, etc. In this case an iPad or Android-based tablet would work better.

Whatever the schools/school districts choose, though, I hope it's platform agnostic so they're not locked in to one manufacturer. After a couple of years, I can see good quality Android tablets dropping down to $150~250 while Apple maintains their $500 pricing for the iPad. And given the wear and tear I expect these tablets will be seeing, I think we're looking at equipment upgrades/replacement every 1~2 years.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Neither. Textbook costs are going to be the same electronically or in print, simply because publishers are going to expect to maintain their revenues. The educational outcomes are going to be the same either way, simply because very few teachers know how to use computers in innovative ways. Yet these tablets are going to add overhead in school systems that can barely afford the most important thing of all: quality teachers.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Neither. Textbook costs are going to be the same electronically or in print, simply because publishers are going to expect to maintain their revenues. The educational outcomes are going to be the same either way, simply because very few teachers know how to use computers in innovative ways. Yet these tablets are going to add overhead in school systems that can barely afford the most important thing of all: quality teachers.
It might very well be that the teachers will not be that great at using computers in innovative ways.... but I suspect that the students may be able to. The fact is, and many people find it hard to believe, that electronic texts are superior in many ways. They enable students to perform searches to quickly find items of interest, versus tedious reading or trying to look up terms by inadequate indexes. They enable students to instantly look up, via built-in dictionaries, unfamiliar words. Given the proper software/app, the student may be able to copy/paste sections into an electronic note or document. Given software/app, the student may be able to annotate, highlight, and add notes. The student may be able to print sections of the text as needed for selected study. And of course, the concept that all of us should know, the student can carry vast loads of books without straining his/her back.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If they go the Apple route then textbooks are actually going to be pretty cheap. The cost alone Apple put a cap of $15 I believe. Add in the cost (or lack there of) of using the free ibooks author to create the book and you have a much cheaper text book than the a paper version. Plus being able to push out updates to the book and they all get updated with the latest content. In the long term an ipad, even an ipad 1 is going to be cheaper than a traditional text book. I wish I had one back when I was in school. In college, recently, I actually did use my ipad for my textbooks. I just opened up an app and there was my book.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Re: Teachers

Teachers teach to a test. All year that's all they do. I know this because I'm struggling with my son in 3rd grade right now. They don't teach to a child's interests or to truly understanding material. Not necessarily the teachers fault, but they could rise up and demand that schools get rid of these standardizing tests. Teachers unions and tenure are the bane of our educational system. Not all teachers are bad, and I think my son's current teacher could be a decent teacher. But all I ever here is FCAT FCAT FCAT. My son does not do well on standard tests like that, his mind wanders a lot. But get his attention with something interesting, or put a different spin on a subject in a fun and interesting way and you've got him hooked. My wife and I work with him at home a lot, as we should be..that's our job as parents, but I also trust these teachers who are with him for 8 hrs a day to teach him in a manner appropriate for learning, not transmission of content. I'm a trainer in the corporate world, so while adults and children do learn different, the basics about engagement are the same no matter the age.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i understand there are 2 high schools in New York deploying JetBook Color next month . I do not have the names of the schools.

At this point in time from what I have seen the Ipad is more versatile versus the JetBook. JBC might to do very well at the High school or middle school level but at elementary not so much. The IPad is more flexible and can I think be used from 1st onwards. I see it already being used well at our local elementary school
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
The JetBook, of course, as it uses e-ink and while some people are OK reading reading from LCD screens, most are not. I would personally find it somewhat annoying to be forced to use a device, which causes me a fair amount of discomfort, in the presence of an alternative that doesn't.

Last edited by slex; 03-17-2012 at 05:29 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote