Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
ARV
ARV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Another one self-bricked KT

Hi All!

Couple of days ago I tried to download a book from internet with kindle's browser (thru wifi) and when I confirmed downloading my KT stopped responding. I tried to reset it (20 sec hold button) - no change on screen. But kindle seems to be rebooted - when it connected to PC its USB drive disappears, and after reconnecting with cable it appears again.
I tried to get log for diagnostics with data.tar.gz method but got only error "can't create /mnt/us/log.txt: Invalid argument" in runme.err
I'm not strong with linux, so dont know what's wrong with getting log, please help me to define the next step.
Think that system still working, because USB connection to kindle is stable; but something wrong in startup ( strange for me there is no changes on screen at all - still KT's browser with download confirmation page).
Help me, please!

Thnx in advance
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It would help to see your runme.sh script that caused the error message that you described.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
ARV

I used runme.sh from wiki without change:
-------------------------------
test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
mntroot rw
showlog > /mnt/us/log.txt
mntroot ro
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
--------------------------------
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV View Post
I used runme.sh from wiki without change:
-------------------------------
test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
mntroot rw
showlog > /mnt/us/log.txt
mntroot ro
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
--------------------------------
The commands look good, so perhaps you have some Windows line ends in there. Scripts need to have only linefeeds (LF = 0x0A), and not carriage-returns (CR = 0x0D).

You can load it into a programmer's editor that supports converting line endings, and save it as a Unix file, or strip the CR characters with a conversion utility.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
ARV

Thanx, I will check runme.sh for CR's
By the way, maybe there there is a sense to update firmware to 5.0.3 in this state? Maybe update will refresh system files and device will come to life?
Or it can be irrevocably bricked?
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanx, I will check runme.sh for CR's
By the way, maybe there there is a sense to update firmware to 5.0.3 in this state? Maybe update will refresh system files and device will come to life?
Or it can be irrevocably bricked?
Multiple people have reported that an official 5.0.3 update from amazon has bricked their kindle touch.

I also had a k4nt that was bricked by an official 4.0.1 amazon update.

In my case and in some of the cases reported for 5.0.3, the kindles did not have jailbreak or hacks installed. It appears that amazon's "differential update" method used on the new kindles is risky at best...

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-15-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
ARV

Yea, you were quite right about 0D bytes in runme.sh
I got log, it seems to have events from 13/02/2012 (attached)
found very suspisious lines:

700101:000427 papyrus 1-0048: PMIC PAPYRUS for eInk display
110801:020100 Retrying Papyrus enable
110801:020100 _regulator_enable: failed to enable DISPLAY: -110
110801:020100 mxc_epdc_fb mxc_epdc_fb: Unable to enable DISPLAY regulator.err = 0xffffff92

maybe because of it I see display frozen? Is it hardware problem?
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (227.7 KB, 253 views)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
ARV

Hi, Geekmaster!
No hope to revive my kindle?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
geekmaster

I just finished my code to boot kindle touch or k4nt into diags or fastboot mode in USB Downloader (also known as USB HID or USB Recovery) mode. I will post it in the k4nt and touch wikis, then post an announcement in a new thread (and here).

In diags mode you can export the USB Drive to make changes to it (add RUNME.sh repair script).

On the k4nt you can open SSH in diags, or on the touch you can push a reverse shell in diags. From a shell you can examine and repair what prevents main from booting. You can also restore mmcblk0p1.img on the USB drive to /dev/mmcblk0p1 with a "dd command.

Or, in fastboot mode you can reflash the main partition from mmcblk0p1.img on your host PC using yifanlu's kindle fastboot tool.

Beware that these methods are risky if you are not careful. Do not flash the wrong partition. Do not delete the wrong scripts.

I will provide instructions and tools.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
geekmaster

Here is another tool to help repairing kindle touch and k4nt:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
ARV

I'm still at the same point.
Tried to load diags and fastboot modes with MFG tool - nothing changed on screen.
Ran factory reset script - nothing changed again (but reset was done - mmcblk0p4 was cleared to initial state)
Now the only conclusion - it's hardware problem?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
I'm still at the same point.
Tried to load diags and fastboot modes with MFG tool - nothing changed on screen.
Ran factory reset script - nothing changed again (but reset was done - mmcblk0p4 was cleared to initial state)
Now the only conclusion - it's hardware problem?
It sounds like your eInk display may have died. If you connect to the serial port you can see what error messages it may display while booting.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
ARV

Well, I've surrendered further struggle with it.
Sent it to Amazon for replacement.

Anyway many thanks for help GeekMaster, I have learned much about device