Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Writer's digest archive?

Does anyone know whether Writer's Digest has an archive of old issues? I'm trying to get hold of an article from June 1932.

I tried to contact Writer's Digest directly, but haven't got a reply from them since I contacted them around Christmas.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If, perchance, you're looking for the Edgar Rice Burroughs article...
http://www.erbzine.com/mag0/0058.html

Otherwise, you're on your own.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately it's not the Tarzan Article I'm looking for. It's an article by John Dickson Carr called "The Detective in Fiction". What makes the article interesting is that it's written before Carr published his first book, and should give a good idea about his sympathies and ideals in his early career
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a pamphlet published in 1999 called "The Detective in Fiction and Harem Scarem" to celebrate John Dickson Carr. That might contain a reprint of the article you're looking for.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Iznogood
Guru

Great tip. Thanks! I checked it out, and you are quite right. The article was reprinted in 1999. Unfortunately only in 1000 copies, so it won't be easy, but now at least I have an ISBN number to search for.
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How did you attempt to contact them? No response seemse odd for a working magazine?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Iznogood
Guru

I too find it very strange that a magazine that's still in the market won't answer email. I sent them an email to writersdigest@fwmedia.com, it must be a couple of months ago.

This is what says on their "Contact us" page (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Contact Us
Editorial Questions or Comments

To contact Writer’s Digest editorial, please e-mail: writersdigest@fwmedia.com
(Note: Due to the high volume of e-mails received, we are unable to answer all questions or requests.)

For query submissions, please e-mail: wdsubmissions@fwmedia.com
(Note: Allow 8-12 weeks for a response.)
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Phil Sexton
Phil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: ipad
Hey, I just happened to see this discussion thread. Yes, it is possible to get a copy of this article. I compiled an anthology of some of the best articles from the history of WD and it's still for sale on Amazon. It's called Legends of Literature and The Detective in Fiction is one of the articles in there. It was transcribed from the original archives at WD, so it's accurate to the letter. Here's the link if you want it: http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Litera...+of+literature
Phil Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've verified, through the Contents Page, that the article is indeed in this anthology. The price is $8. The above post is not considered promotional spam.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-08-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The price is $8.
These days it would probably cost at least that much to have WD send a copy from the archives, if they ever respond to the inquiry at all.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Phil Sexton
Phil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than momPhil Sexton loves his/her reader more than mom

Apologies for not being able to repond directly from the WD email account. I should have clarified that I'm the publisher (as noted in my profile). We get a massive amount of email in our general mailbox each day and honestly can't get to it all. There aren't too many of us unfortunately.

Another possible lead would be to check with the nearest university library if you haven't already done so. When I was compiling the book, some of the articles were in volumes that were so old, the paper was crumbling and I had to find better copies elsewhere. Ended up having some luck checking out the archives of our local university.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sexton View Post
Hey, I just happened to see this discussion thread. Yes, it is possible to get a copy of this article. I compiled an anthology of some of the best articles from the history of WD and it's still for sale on Amazon. It's called Legends of Literature and The Detective in Fiction is one of the articles in there. It was transcribed from the original archives at WD, so it's accurate to the letter. Here's the link if you want it: http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Litera...+of+literature
Have you considered producing a Kindle (or other ebook) edition?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Iznogood
Guru

Thanks so much for posting a link to this book. There are many articles here that sounds very interesting, and the book is added to my shopping list on Amazon to be purchased ASAP.

And I humbly second pdurrants suggestion that the articles in this book would benefit greatly from a searchable format. I'd buy the kindle edition too if there was one
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Phil Sexton

Totally agree. Unfortunately the reprint rights had lapsed when we did the book, so had to repurchase them from the authors or their estates and in many cases they would only sell reprint rights for the hardcover. Really too bad....
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I can imagine that trying to arrange reprint rights from a large number of authors is a nightmare.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote