Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #226
GtrsRGr8
Guru
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I thought I might get a copy of this ebook, but I'm trying to figure out about the free edition.

When I go to the eyeonwindows site they're selling it. I wasn't sure if you meant people should look at the Amazon edition, but it's not available in Aus.

I don't feel comfortable just downloading a zip file without knowing it's source - what is the source of it?
I got it from a spammer and computer hacker in Russia. He said that I could trust him. hahahah

Actually, I got the information from a post by an individual on another forum. I learned that the websites sponsoring the free ebook are one or both of these: windows9update.com and eyeonwindows.com. If you go to both sites you'll notice that the design, etc. of the websites is (nearly?) identical; they're related somehow, but how I don't know. Maybe I need to be more like you and be cautious and wary, or even suspicious, but the websites seem okay.

I checked a very reliable website safety rating service called Web of Trust (WOT). Interestingly, they say that windows9update.com is "unsatisfactory," but say that eyeonwindows.com is "good!" But, the ratings come from users, some of which can have vendettas for one reason or another and, too, I think that WOT will give a rating based upon just one person's response.

Anyway, I have the pdf file of the book on my hard drive. I scanned it with my antivirus program, which is up-to-date on the virus signatures. It tells me that there is "no threat," i.e., the file is clean. I know that there is a way to post attachments, but I've never done it. If someone would be kind enough to tell me how to do it, I would be happy to do that. There may be other Mobilereaders who would want to download it, too.

But now the question is: do you trust me? hahahah
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #227
GtrsRGr8
Guru
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Bargain @ $1.99 from Oxford University Press's US division (couponable @ Kobo, was matched at Amazon, but not iTunes, Google Play, or B&N when I checked, price good for Canada & US, at least, geo-restricted in the UK):

In Her Own Right : The Life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton by Elisabeth Griffith, her biography of
<snip>
Nice find. Another book, though, that I wish had a Whispersync or other cheap audio counterpart (sigh).

I hope that you don't mind if I post the URL for the book at Amazon. As of right now, it's still $1.99. The URL is http://www.amazon.com/Her-Own-Right-...right+griffith.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #228
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
^

No worries; if it helps someone else easily zero in on stuff in their preferred store, I'm all for it. I'm just personally lazy about putting extra links in for non-free books and default to Kobo since that's where I usually shop (especially if stuff is couponable) since I prefer ePub and people can easily see if it's the same price for their own country, and Amazon URLs usually have a bunch of cruft I feel compelled to strip off anyway, so that's extra time I don't want to spend if I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Nice find. Another book, though, that I wish had a Whispersync or other cheap audio counterpart (sigh).
Well, there's always the DIY option with text to speech, if you're really cheap. Much as I dislike Mac OS X Yosemite's new and disimproved steamrollered day-glo icons and interface, I will say that they've significantly improved the TTS options, and added better quality voices for even more of the languages* available.

* Now up to 28! Even more if you count regional variation dialects† separately.

† They even have Québécois French, which is a nice touch.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #229
GtrsRGr8
Guru

Quote:
^

No worries; if it helps someone else easily zero in on stuff in their preferred store, I'm all for it.
<snip>

Thanks. I didn't think that it would be a problem, but I try to make sure that I don't do something that will cause someone on the Site to be offended, get mad, etc.

Quote:
Well, there's always the DIY option with text to speech, if you're really cheap.
<snip>
I'm really cheap. hahahah

I'm a Windows guy, though, I'll have to look, more than I have already, into the options for it. My experience so far with text-to-speech in the Windows orb has been less than satisfying. If anyone has some knowledge or insight about how to get good text-to-speech with the Windows operating system, I'd love to hear it.

I would get a Mac, but it would take a l-o-n-g time saving money on audiobooks to make up for, what, a couple of thousands of $ ?, that I'd have to spend for the Mac. hahahaha
Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #230
Difflugia
Guru
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD running CM10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Anyway, I have the pdf file of the book on my hard drive. I scanned it with my antivirus program, which is up-to-date on the virus signatures. It tells me that there is "no threat," i.e., the file is clean. I know that there is a way to post attachments, but I've never done it. If someone would be kind enough to tell me how to do it, I would be happy to do that. There may be other Mobilereaders who would want to download it, too.
Attaching a file is pretty easy. If you're using the "advanced" message creation (either click "NEW REPLY" under the last post or Go Advanced" under the quick reply), then there's a paperclip right next to a smiley face that brings up a dialog. You can only attach certain file types, but PDFs are OK (I've attached a list of recipes cloning patent medicines from a book published in 1895; you're welcome).

That said, it's probably not a good idea to attach the book that you downloaded. First, even if the download is free, you don't have the right to offer it as a download yourself without a license (GPL or Creative Commons, for example). Second, it's possible that the download isn't supposed to be free. I've bought ebooks from authors that just email me a link to a Dropbox file or some such. This might be one of those and even if it's legal for you to download (I don't know that following a link would be illegal just because someone doesn't want you to, but the DMCA and various "hacking" laws in the US might apply), uploading it somewhere else certainly wouldn't be.

To keep this post firmly on-topic, Microsoft Press has a number of free ebooks. The list is pretty stable, but I see a few books that are new since the last time I checked. The link is to an actual Microsoft site, so you can trust it as much as you trust Windows.

Microsoft Virtual Acadamy free ebooks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Patent Medicines.pdf (457.5 KB, 9 views)
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #231
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bargain @ 99 cents (regularly $4.99) for today only (Nov 20th) as Weightless Books' weekly 1-day pick (DRM-free choice of ePub/Mobi/PDF, available worldwide):

To Each Their Darkness by multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror author Gary A. Braunbeck (ISFDB, Wikipedia), his part-memoir analytical non-fiction advice guide on storytelling for aspiring writers with particular emphasis on the ins and outs of suspense/horror writing as well as general story building tips.

This won the 2010 Stoker for Superior Achievement in Non-Fiction, according to ISFDB (Weightless' blurb just claims a nomination, though it might have been put up before the winners were announced).

Explore the world of writing horror from a Bram Stoker and International Horror Guild award-winning author’s point of view. Gary Braunbeck uses film, fiction and life experience to elucidate the finer points of storytelling, both in and out of genre. This part-autobiographical, always analytical book looks at how stories develop and what makes them work–or not work–when they’re told.

Be warned: reality is as brutal as fiction. Rob Zombie, police shootings, William Goldman and human misery are all teachers to the horror neophyte, and Braunbeck uses their lessons to make To Each Their Darkness a whirlwind of horror and hope for the aspiring writer.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #232
Purple Lady
Wizard
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 LTE, Nexus 7 3g, Sony PRS-950, K3 3G, Nexus 5, Boyue T62
Quote:
Bargain @ 99 cents (regularly $4.99) for today only (Nov 20th) as Weightless Books' weekly 1-day pick (DRM-free choice of ePub/Mobi/PDF, available worldwide):

To Each Their Darkness by multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror author Gary A. Braunbeck (ISFDB, Wikipedia), his part-memoir analytical non-fiction advice guide on storytelling for aspiring writers with particular emphasis on the ins and outs of suspense/horror writing as well as general story building tips.

This won the 2010 Stoker for Superior Achievement in Non-Fiction, according to ISFDB (Weightless' blurb just claims a nomination, though it might have been put up before the winners were announced).

Explore the world of writing horror from a Bram Stoker and International Horror Guild award-winning author’s point of view. Gary Braunbeck uses film, fiction and life experience to elucidate the finer points of storytelling, both in and out of genre. This part-autobiographical, always analytical book looks at how stories develop and what makes them work–or not work–when they’re told.

Be warned: reality is as brutal as fiction. Rob Zombie, police shootings, William Goldman and human misery are all teachers to the horror neophyte, and Braunbeck uses their lessons to make To Each Their Darkness a whirlwind of horror and hope for the aspiring writer.
Is there no way to get a sample on this site or am I missing something?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #233
ATDrake
Wizzard

^

Sometimes Weightless links to sample chapters on the publisher's website if they're available, which in this case it's not.

However, you can use either the Amazon or B&N or Kobo or iBooks preview/sampling mechanisms via the links on publisher Apex's website.

According to the opening matter, apparently this is a revised and expanded version of Braunbeck's Fear in a Handful of Dust: Horror As a Way of Life, which originally came out from Wildside Press in 2003 as a pricey limited edition costing $30+ in USD.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #234
ATDrake
Wizzard

Free again from the author via KDP Select @ Amazon:

Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson by musician and former university professor Kent Gustavson (Wikipedia), his biography of the late Grammy Award-winning and National Medal of Arts recipient Doc Watson (Wikipedia), who I found out was a very important & influential Appalachian/bluegrass musician indeed from MR members who were themselves guitar players when this book previously popped up free a couple of years back, so it's nice to see it come around free again (although it's kind of too bad that remaining KDP Select exclusive-or-else means that average people who shop from other stores will likely never see it in a form they can easily use without having to learn how to use "the tools").

Anyway, originally out from small press Blooming Twig in 2010, and the author's Wikipedia entry says that this "won the 2011 Next Generation Indie Book Award for best biography and was a finalist in the 2010 book of the year awards presented by ForeWord Magazine."

Before his death at the age of 89, Doc Watson was the true voice of Appalachian music. After being discovered in 1960 by folklorist Ralph Rinzler, the blind guitarist graced thousands of American stages with his down-home wit, deep knowledge of traditional songs, and his blistering flatpicking guitar. Over 52 years in the music business, Doc influenced every musician with a pulse, from Bob Dylan to Jerry Garcia, and from Gillian Welch to Pete Seeger.

Last edited by ATDrake; 11-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #235
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHDX8, FireHD7, Nex7, Nex4, K4S, ClipZip
Downpour has 4 audiobooks on sale this weekend about early American history.

Downpour -- Weekend Spotlight -- exp 23 Nov

Quote:
Thanksgiving is just days away, so why not delve into some early American history! This weekend only save up to 60% on four great histories of the early struggles and the genesis of the United States!

Quote:
Between Two Worlds: How the English Became Americans

Over 350,000 intrepid English men, women, and children migrated to America in the seventeenth century, leaving behind their homeland for an uncertain future on distant shores. Whether they settled in Jamestown, Salem, or Barbados, these early English migrants—entrepreneurs, soldiers, and pilgrims alike—sought to re-create their old country in the new land.
Quote:
Desperate Sons: Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, John Hancock, et al

This groundbreaking narrative is a historical political thriller that explores the role of the Sons of Liberty in the American Revolution.

More than two hundred years ago, a group of British colonists in America decided that the conditions under which they were governed had become intolerable. Angry and frustrated that King George III and the British Parliament had ignored their lawful complaints and petitions, they decided to take action.
Quote:
Savage Kingdom: The True Story of Jamestown

Four centuries ago, and fourteen years before the Mayflower, a group of men— led by a one-armed ex-pirate, an epileptic aristocrat, a reprobate cleric, and a government spy—left London aboard a fleet of three ships to start a new life in America. They arrived in Virginia in the spring of 1607 and set about trying to create a settlement on a tiny island in the James River. Despite their shortcomings, and against the odds, they built Jamestown, a ramshackle outpost that laid the foundations of the British Empire and the United States of America.
Quote:
Making Haste from Babylon: The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World

At the end of 1618, a blazing green star soared across the night sky over the northern hemisphere. From the Philippines to the Arctic, the comet became a sensation and a symbol, a warning of doom or a promise of salvation. Two years later, as the Pilgrims prepared to sail across the Atlantic on board the Mayflower, the atmosphere remained charged with fear and expectation. Men and women readied themselves for war, pestilence, or divine retribution. Against this background, and amid deep economic depression, the Pilgrims conceived their enterprise of exile.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #236
itisbomb
Zealot
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America
by George Packer

is $4.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Unwinding-Inne...=the+unwinding

Below is the blurb:
The 2013 National Book Award Winner
A New York Times Bestseller
Selected by New York Times’ critic Dwight Garner as a Favorite Book of 2013
One of Amazon's Best Books of 2013
A New York Times Notable Book of 2013
A Washington Post Best Political Book of 2013
An NPR Best Book of 2013
A New Republic Best Book of 2013
One of Publishers Weekly's Best Nonfiction Books of 2013
A Kirkus Reviews Best Nonfiction Book of 2013

A riveting examination of a nation in crisis, from one of the finest political journalists of our generation

American democracy is beset by a sense of crisis. Seismic shifts during a single generation have created a country of winners and losers, allowing unprecedented freedom while rending the social contract, driving the political system to the verge of breakdown, and setting citizens adrift to find new paths forward. In The Unwinding, George Packer, author of The Assassins’ Gate: America in Iraq, tells the story of the United States over the past three decades in an utterly original way, with his characteristically sharp eye for detail and gift for weaving together complex narratives.

The Unwinding journeys through the lives of several Americans, including Dean Price, the son of tobacco farmers, who becomes an evangelist for a new economy in the rural South; Tammy Thomas, a factory worker in the Rust Belt trying to survive the collapse of her city; Jeff Connaughton, a Washington insider oscillating between political idealism and the lure of organized money; and Peter Thiel, a Silicon Valley billionaire who questions the Internet’s significance and arrives at a radical vision of the future. Packer interweaves these intimate stories with biographical sketches of the era’s leading public figures, from Newt Gingrich to Jay-Z, and collages made from newspaper headlines, advertising slogans, and song lyrics that capture the flow of events and their undercurrents.

The Unwinding portrays a superpower in danger of coming apart at the seams, its elites no longer elite, its institutions no longer working, its ordinary people left to improvise their own schemes for success and salvation. Packer’s novelistic and kaleidoscopic history of the new America is his most ambitious work to date.
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #237
ATDrake
Wizzard

Bargain @ $1.99 each to commemorate the anniversary of the assassination of JFK (good through Nov 23rd, or so I'm getting the impression from the few that were given expiry dates in the newsletter) from Open Road Media (couponable @ Kobo, should be available in all the standard stores, prices good for Canada & US, may possibly be on sale in other regions, etc.):
I think this is all of them. ORM doesn't seem to have a dedicated promo page for this like they do for their other grouped theme sale items.

Last edited by ATDrake; Today at 03:17 AM. Reason: ETA: found another in one of the newsletters.