Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook Color for schools - educational video

This 4 minutes video briefly explain all jetBook Color features and why
jetBook color is the best tablet for educational market

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
It makes sense. I'm glad it was explained like this, fear people overlook the importance of an eInk screen for long-term reading.

To be honest i never thought of the programs on the Jetbook color but they really seem to be something that students would find useful.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
nice. im glad they're focusing on the educational market for this.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... you both own the JBC, could you look on the official data plate and tell us
what the device is named?

Luck;
Ken

PS; That's Jerry, the guy who moderates the Ectaco Forums, along with his
marketing efforts.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
nice. im glad they're focusing on the educational market for this.
I'm not too happy about this,
Yes it's good they do that, but:
1- The JBC is far too expensive for children's hands,
2- The programs inside are aimed for children ranging 7 to 18, or the occasional learner that wants to learn another language
3- The money they will be getting also comes from end users, who may not find any need for the school software.

I only quickly had taken a look at the school software, there's a bunch of stuff in there, 90% I would never use(except to see what it is), 95% I might never use, 98% of the school software I don't use on a day/week or even monthly basis.

The way I see it, I only use 5-10% of the potential of the JBC, mainly reading PDF files,and epub.
And since Ectaco and my own priorities differ, it looks like this device will not aim much towards improving the issues at hand for people like me who use this only to read PDF and epub books.
Looks like they still got their hands full with optimizing the school's programs (they could do a lot about the user interface, improving menu's and looks of the programs).

The problem is that they need to hurry up, because other manufacturers are jumping on the color e-ink boat. There are already devices in prototypes with a flexible e-ink screen, overlayed with an RGBW filter they would be somewhere between a regular e-ink device and the JBC's resolution, also with color!

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... you both own the JBC, could you look on the official data plate and tell us
On the front and back it says "jetBook", and on the device info screen and inside the device it says "jetBook COLOR".

Why? Are you worried about capitalisation?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, he might be able to highlight on his, but I can't on mine. At least I can, but only temporarily to tell it what text I want to translate or read out using TTS. Nate put it well over on the-digital-reader.com when he said something like "See that picture on the front of the box? That's all the things it can't do."

Andrew
Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm not too happy about this,
Yes it's good they do that, but:
1- The JBC is far too expensive for children's hands,
2- The programs inside are aimed for children ranging 7 to 18, or the occasional learner that wants to learn another language
3- The money they will be getting also comes from end users, who may not find any need for the school software.

I only quickly had taken a look at the school software, there's a bunch of stuff in there, 90% I would never use(except to see what it is), 95% I might never use, 98% of the school software I don't use on a day/week or even monthly basis.

The way I see it, I only use 5-10% of the potential of the JBC, mainly reading PDF files,and epub.
And since Ectaco and my own priorities differ, it looks like this device will not aim much towards improving the issues at hand for people like me who use this only to read PDF and epub books.
Looks like they still got their hands full with optimizing the school's programs (they could do a lot about the user interface, improving menu's and looks of the programs).

The problem is that they need to hurry up, because other manufacturers are jumping on the color e-ink boat. There are already devices in prototypes with a flexible e-ink screen, overlayed with an RGBW filter they would be somewhere between a regular e-ink device and the JBC's resolution, also with color!
Priorities change over time. But you could have known what you were
buying, it was all there if you looked at all the descriptions of it at their
site. At least in terms of it being a device designed for the education
market.

One of the main features of this device, from my point of view, is its
potential, with modification of the firmware, outside its current educational
specialization. (Now that you are on the Ectaco Forum you might checkout
the posts in the jetBook section.) I also started a thread here on adapting
the JBC to other uses.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Priorities change over time. But you could have known what you were
buying, it was all there if you looked at all the descriptions of it at their
site. At least in terms of it being a device designed for the education
market.
They also (still) say it has wifi and a browser. Should we have guessed they were telling porkies?

Andrew

Edited to add: sorry, a bit of rhyming slang crept in there. Pork pie = lie ...

Last edited by andyh2000; 05-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

As I understand it, it does have "wifi" enabled and where do they say it has a browser?

Are you unable to find the official data plate most such devices are required to have
that includes the registered name of the device?

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
As I understand it, it does have "wifi" enabled and where do they say it has a browser?

Are you unable to find the official data plate most such devices are required to have
that includes the registered name of the device?

Luck;
Ken
I bought mine from here - http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/ - and it calls it a jetBook Color. I have no idea what an official data plate is - I described all the names it appears to have on, in or around the device itself.

Yes it has wifi, and I can happily connect and disconnect from my home network. Of course, I can't DO anything with it because it doesn't have a browser or any other network aware software. Despite saying this in their advert text:

Quote:
"Wireless access to online textbooks, www.ck12.org and other resources"
And this on their blog regarding the April 1st update (which arrived around about the 5th of May, still without a browser):

Quote:
Web browser has been implemented to display Web resources related to ebook reading using open networks. This has been limited as per school requests, but can be modified in future updates
You seem remarkably pleased with a device that you don't appear to own, and scornful of others who do own one and are less than ecstatic with it. Why is that?

Andrew
Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I am not "scornful" of anyone. I am not "pleased" with the device, as is, which is one
of the reasons that I don't own one, yet.

I do expect that statements/postings to provide some connection to reality, so that I,
and perhaps others, can make a rational judgment and purchase decision.

I do think the device has some real potential as an outdoor ereader with some dedicated
functions, for purposes other than the current Educational specialization.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

You seem remarkably pleased with a device that you don't appear to own,

Andrew
strange, i never got the idea that Ken was pleased with the device in its current state.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Perhaps I was expressing myself a bit too strong. Ectaco definitely is working on the software side of the device, not only doing updates for school programs,but also does OS updates that benefit an end user (like me).

One thing this negativity posting has resulted in, is ectaco not mentioning anymore they will do a FW update.
From the official replies on their forum, I saw they are working on an update, and asking when it'll be released, will not give you an answer, but they are working on one.
They just don't officially say it anymore with all the negative comments on not meeting up with the deadline.

My concern is, at the pace the development is going, it's going to be faster to have a new device from another manufacturer, than have all current bugs fixed.
Not even mentioning implementing new feats.

If anything, the march update was more stable than the April one for some reason.

The school software works quite fine as it is, I haven't tested it well enough, but it mostly seems to work. But as a reading device it still has a lot of polishing up to do.

@Ken Maltby: If you're on ectaco forum, you probably noted my long list of feedback on the JBC (in the feedback forum). It'll help you understand some of the limitations of current device.
Despite all this, it's still working great for pdf's and epub! I would have easily paid $300 for a device like this if it only could display the 5 document formats it supports quite well right now, and nothing else! So if you can do anything else but read pdf's and epubs with your device, it can be considered a luxury.

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-21-2012 at 09:21 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Quote:

Luck;
Ken

PS; That's Jerry, the guy who moderates the Ectaco Forums, along with his
marketing efforts.
Where would we find this?
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote