Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
krammie
krammie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question eReader format conversion for PRS-505

Hello, sorry if this has been covered before - I have read as many posts on here regarding various PDB formats etc and have not been able to come to a conclusion, so hoping someone can help me.

I have several un-DRM'd PDB eBooks in the eReader format (I confirmed this in my text editor that the file has PNRdPPrs near the beginning of the file). I am able to open these files successfully in eReader for Windows. However, I am trying to figure out how to convert these files to a format that I can read on my PRS-505. I would assume the best format to convert to would be ePub as the reader natively works with this format, but I am open to suggestions.

I have tried Stanza - error message that it cannot be opened.
I have tried Amber Palm converter - it runs the conversion but the output is gibberish.
I have tried calibre - it says the PDB is not a recognizable format.
I have not tried eReader2HTML but from what I understand this script only works for DRM'd files.
I have tried swearing at the computer - this does not work either

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by krammie; 01-04-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added line re: eReader2HTML
krammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I've not tried it with PDB, but Book Designer looks as if it'd be worth trying.

I would try something like eReader2HTML though, as I'd be amazed if if only supported DRM'd files!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
II would try something like eReader2HTML though, as I'd be amazed if if only supported DRM'd files!
It does unfortunately only support DRMed files. I think this was a mistake on the authors part, because adding DRM-free support would provide a small amount of legal protection to the software (because it would then have a non-infringing use). However, this would only be a small fig leaf.

I'm sure a Python programmer could easily produce a DRM-free only version of ereader2html, which would presumably not fall foul of DRM stripping laws. However, no one has done so yet so far as I know.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I'm sure a Python programmer could easily produce a DRM-free only version of ereader2html, which would presumably not fall foul of DRM stripping laws. However, no one has done so yet so far as I know.
It's on my to do list. But, as I am not a python programmer someone else could do it much faster. Perhaps "dark reverser" could make this change... I think he was the original author.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
krammie
krammie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I am a fairly proficient .NET programmer, have not programmed in python before, but when I get some time I will dig through the code and see what I can come up with! If it works, I will certainly share with the community.
krammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert