Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
JackTheKnife
JackTheKnife began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Question Am I the only one ?

I really don't want to carry around both a tablet and an e-reader.
I want to see something like 8.9 inch tablet with an e-ink screen on the back.
It would utilize a big/little cpu setup sorta like the Samsung Exynos.
would anyone else be interested in something like that ? does such a device already exist ?
JackTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wouldn't want to carry around anything with an 8.9 inch screen.
I'll gladly leave it at home while I carry around something smaller, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
I don't know that I would carry one that big around, but I love the idea.
I like tablets, but I can't read on them. (Games and videos are fine)
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I would LOVE this idea, but in an iPad-mini size. I remember hearing about a phone that has this in Russia or some such, and loved the idea then and love it now. But as the e-ink market slows and people (including me) become more used to just giving in and using a tablet screen for reading, I think there'll be less and less demand for something like this, which doesn't even have enough demand to be made yet.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheKnife View Post
I really don't want to carry around both a tablet and an e-reader.
I want to see something like 8.9 inch tablet with an e-ink screen on the back.
It would utilize a big/little cpu setup sorta like the Samsung Exynos.
would anyone else be interested in something like that ? does such a device already exist ?
There's supposed the be a phone that has an LCD and and eInk screen. Perhaps someone will do a tablet.

My hope is that a display technology comes along that has the speed of LCD with the low power and readability of e-ink. Mirasol was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps Liquavista will prove better, if it ever sees the light of day in a commercial product. Or there's the reflective LCD from Japan Dissplay that uses static RAM cells at each pixel to reduce power on static displays, currently available for watches.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I remember hearing about a phone that has this in Russia or some such, and loved the idea then and love it now.
Or an iPhone case: http://www.popslate.com/
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's supposed the be a phone that has an LCD and and eInk screen. Perhaps someone will do a tablet.

My hope is that a display technology comes along that has the speed of LCD with the low power and readability of e-ink. Mirasol was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps Liquavista will prove better, if it ever sees the light of day in a commercial product. Or there's the reflective LCD from Japan Dissplay that uses static RAM cells at each pixel to reduce power on static displays, currently available for watches.
Those sound great. I would hope in five or ten years, maybe there'll be technology where on one screen, you can basically switch from an e-ink type screen to an LCD back and forth, or something like that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Or an iPhone case: http://www.popslate.com/
Oh! But why oh why is this only for iPhone size? Those screens are too small for me for long-term reading. They really need to make one of these for iPad mini - I think it would be a big success. At least, for me. That really would be perfect. Sigh, so close, yet so far away...

ETA - I just messaged Popslate asking for an iPad mini version. They may have already considered such a direction, but I wanted voice my enthusiasm for it.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-05-2014 at 02:58 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh! But why oh why is this only for iPhone size? Those screens are too small for me for long-term reading. They really need to make one of these for iPad mini - I think it would be a big success. At least, for me. That really would be perfect. Sigh, so close, yet so far away...

ETA - I just messaged Popslate asking for an iPad mini version. They may have already considered such a direction, but I wanted voice my enthusiasm for it.
Hopefully if enough people express interest they will take heed. That's why I posted it - the tech is there, sort of, though as an accessory - and it's currently the closest thing to what the OP is seeking. If there is a demand, it's certainly possible that they could expand beyond phones.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There was one - the enTourage eDGe. We have a forum section for it here at MR. It's fair to say that it wasn't an outstanding success.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd like to see something like the P.A.D.D. (Personal Access Display Device) that they had as a prop on Star Trek TNG. i.e. something with a touch screen that could handle video and yet be read on like an e-ink screen and on which you could type written works ala Jake Sisko. That would be great.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You perhaps mean the YotaPhone?

http://yotaphone.com/#/en/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/54...rtphone-photos
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Nice to have a 8.9 inch tablet with e-ink but not for carrying around.

Prefer something that fit the pocket like Kobo Mini but the Kobo Mini does not take a Micro SD card. Will be perfect if it does.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The idea of a tablet that also has eink is appealing, but I expect it in reality would be bulky and heavy and not practical for one-handed use.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
JackTheKnife
JackTheKnife began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Well at least I am not alone in thinking that a tablet lcd/eink just seems like a no brainier.
JackTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheKnife View Post
Well at least I am not alone in thinking that a tablet lcd/eink just seems like a no brainier.
Or finally some reflective LCD like Amazon's Liquavista and these Japan Display inc. screens, now that Mirasol and Pixel Qi are probably down and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXu9jmTI2A

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.U0IK9XTX07Q

Last edited by markom; 04-07-2014 at 01:00 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote