Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Newbie has Hack Builder install problem on reader- please help - no BATT LEVEL now!!

I finally gut the guts to try "improving" the fuctionality of my PRS500 reader by attempting to run the Hack Builder script on it. Unfortunately, I had problems at step 2 in the process and need help.

Setup - PC running Windows XP Home -- running latest version of Hack Builder, selected all scripts except DELETE, had it build the script file, and exited the software. I then transferred the contents of the SD__ folder to a freshly 1 GB FAT-formatted SD card. The card was then inserted into my reader.

When the Reader was started up, it showed the necessary upgrade steps -- press keys 3 and so on. I pressed key 3 to run a script and it worked fine.
However, when I pressed key 4 to copy a file, the reader reported an error. I then exited out of this menu.

Any ideas on what I could do to make this work? thanks.

Last edited by gardenstate; 10-06-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: new issue
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
I finally gut the guts to try "improving" the fuctionality of my PRS500 reader by attempting to run the Hack Builder script on it. Unfortunately, I had problems at step 2 in the process and need help.

Setup - PC running Windows XP Home -- running latest version of Hack Builder, selected all scripts except DELETE, had it build the script file, and exited the software. I then transferred the contents of the SD__ folder to a freshly 1 GB FAT-formatted SD card. The card was then inserted into my reader.

When the Reader was started up, it showed the necessary upgrade steps -- press keys 3 and so on. I pressed key 3 to run a script and it worked fine.
However, when I pressed key 4 to copy a file, the reader reported an error. I then exited out of this menu.

Any ideas on what I could do to make this work? thanks.
I would suggest that you re-apply the latest firmware before using the SD card to re-flash.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks.

The reader DOES have the latest firmware version installed on it. Do I have to rerun the latest firmware update again?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
thanks.

The reader DOES have the latest firmware version installed on it. Do I have to rerun the latest firmware update again?
That's what I would do. I always reran the latest firmware before using the SD flasher. Did it four times without any issue.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I've always done steps 5 (create image), 6 (apply the image) and 9 (restart).
Never tried steps 3 and 4 for applying hacks.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, 3 and 4 are there mostly for debugging/development purposes. Start straight at 5 (as it's mentioned in the readme, I beleive).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
ddavtian's steps are correct. I'm going to hopefully get the updated mini-flasher working this weekend so that this kind of confusion is eliminated. Flashing stuff from Hack Builder will be simplified greatly.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
gardenstate
Groupie

5, 6, and 9 WORKED!!! thanks!!!

"if all else fails, read the instructions..."
Old 10-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
gardenstate
Groupie

Uh Oh!! I celebrated too soon...

THE BATTERY INDICATOR IS NOW MISSING!!!

How do I get it back?

Please help... what did I do wrong?

thanks...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Uh Oh!! I celebrated too soon...

THE BATTERY INDICATOR IS NOW MISSING!!!

How do I get it back?

Please help... what did I do wrong?

thanks...
Did you select "Disable Battery Icon" when you built the hacks? That's what it does.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
gardenstate
Groupie

if I disabled the battery icon without realizing it, can I re-run hack builder to create new sdcard files again (with a battery icon present) and run it on an sd card?
thanks.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
if I disabled the battery icon without realizing it, can I re-run hack builder to create new sdcard files again (with a battery icon present) and run it on an sd card?
thanks.
You sure can rebuild your hacks and reflash then to change things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
gardenstate
Groupie

Smile

I reselected the desired items in the hack builder, built a new SDcard file directory, and reflashed the reader. Everything works great now.

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #14
Fain
Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
A google search for the term prs505 will now link to many pages with the name kovidgoyal

I wouldn't be surprised is Sony dosn't contact him asking him to help make their product better :P
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote