Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
PocketBook Pro 902/903 Cover

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on either of these covers? I think I like the Cover-Up one better but would like to hear from anyone who uses either. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Luv-Veggi...8689132&sr=8-1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cover-Up-PocketB...item2a0f95d37d

Last edited by CyGuy; 06-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Brogster
Brogster began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902
Thanks for these links. Exactly what I have been looking for.

The book-stand feature of the Tuff-Luv case was enough to make me order it. I'll update you on my impressions, when I receive it.
Brogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I think the problem with the Tuff-luv one is that it really is mkoer for the 902 than fro the 903, as it is difficult to take the stylus out - jamson talked about his experience with it here. I did write to Tuff-luv, but from their answer I udnerstand that they won't have any new covers for the 903 anytime soon.
I am still intrigued by the cover-up covers, especially now that they have them in coloured leather for the smaller models, so hopefully they will have them in colour for the 90X models, too (but I could not find a contact for them to write and double check). Troll did have reservations on them, but upon re-reading his message just now I think he was not referring to the Cover-up ones, but to these flip over ones by tuff-luv.
I would still like one that would allow me to hold the reader in landscape mode on a desk, a bit like the ipad does, but this may be a very long time coming...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
In the meantime I got the hemp cover from TuffLuv for my 602, and I'm quite happy with it, but I wouldn't recommend it for the 90X series, if they are made the same way.
The inner layer is only cardbord ISO some sturdy plastic or fibre, so it's very likely the weight of the device will bend it very soon.
Also the "spine" is made of only two layers of the artificial leather, so it feels a little rickety if holding it like a book.
It also has a pocket on the left side like the Cover-Up, and this was really bothersome for me, until I fixed it with some double-sided tape.
In the meantime I had my own design finished with a brown leather outside and white leather on the inside which looked really nice, but unfortunately my cobbler messed up with the sewing, so I gave this idea up for the moment and use the Tuff Luv instead.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
s15y
s15y began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
What's the cover in the recent pocketbook vs. onyx videos?
s15y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it looks like the original Pocketbook cover - but there have been reports especially on the Russian forum that the plastic clips are unreliable.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
it looks like the original Pocketbook cover - but there have been reports especially on the Russian forum that the plastic clips are unreliable.
I can state they _are_ unreliable. Especially the clip on image nr. 2.
It just broke off yesterday after trying to remove the reader out of the cover.

Regs,
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Yes, they are!!!
I have this cover for my 602, and the upper clip broke first, followed by the two lower ones. Replaced them with selfmade fibreglass clips, now it's fine
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Brogster

First impressions

I ordered the faux-leather Tuff-Luv cover in the OP from here: http://tuff-luv.com/tuff-luv-faux-ve...yle-black.html. I payed, using paypal, 26 GBP for the cover and 4 GBP for shipping. Nine days after the order was placed (today) I received the cover in Sweden. Overall the order experience was pleasant.

I will mention a caveat before I proceed with my early impressions. I am using this case for PB 902 pro. I do not know how this case caters to the needs of owners of other models, such as the PB 903 pro.

To begin with, the pictures and the descriptions on the store-page are largely accurate, although there is one exception. In the product overview (2011-06-30) Tuff-Luv mentions that a "document- and pen-holder" is included, but I can find no such holder on my case. To be fair, it is possible that such a holder has been added since I placed my order. I have contacted their support about this.

I consider the book-stand feature of this cover to be of great ergonomic value. It prevents pain in the neck and reduce the burden placed on the arms and hands while reading. One of my concerns before making the order was the stability or rather the instability of the bookstand foot. I have, however, after some causal testing, found that the bookstand foot is quite stable. It is fully satisfactory for home and office use, and could probably keep the ereader upright through a reasonably shaky train journey.

The book-stand foot and the flap keeping the front-cover in place, are fastened to the back of the cover with magnetic snap fasteners. The snap fastener for the front-cover flap is placed just a tad too high up for the snapping to be effortless. I would guess that these snap fasteners are a durable construction.

The cover fits PB 902 snugly. A velcro flap prevents the e-reader from slipping out the way it is put in, when carried upside down, though I do not think the PB 902 would slip anywhere without it, given the snug fit and the top-to-bottom front cover. The hole for the back-button and the arrow-ring with the round OK-button in the middle is irregularly shaped and esthetically unpleasant, but this a purely esthetic concern, as all buttons of the e-reader are easily accessible with the cover on. Actually, the power-button is very sensitive even when front-cover is sealed, but for this I blame the PB 902 more than the cover.

Furthermore, the firm material within the faux-leather of the front-cover is flexible enough to straigthen after being moderatly bent, but I do not dare to test the limits of this flexibility.

Overall, I think this cover is good value, especially considering the book-stand feature. It will not protect the e-reader sufficiently for withstanding drops, but it will keep it clean, reduce scratching and provide some cushioning for the front and back (but not the edges) of the e-reader. As is, it is highly suitable for home and office use, and moderately suitable for light travelling.

The next step in protecting my PB 902 is to find an appropriate protective sleeve to combine with this cover. I am going to look into the upcoming g-form sleeves, but if anyone finds any other suitable protective sleeve to combine with this cover, please let me know.

Last edited by Brogster; 06-30-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Thanks for the review, very much appreciated. One question: The large flap that actually covers the screen when closed, is it reinforced in some way? What I mean is, does it contain some something stiff that protects the screen? The protective sleeve that comes with the Pro 902 actually does contain some stiff material that offers some protection for the screen. I just wonder if this Tuff Luv does too.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Brogster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Thanks for the review, very much appreciated. One question: The large flap that actually covers the screen when closed, is it reinforced in some way? What I mean is, does it contain some something stiff that protects the screen? The protective sleeve that comes with the Pro 902 actually does contain some stiff material that offers some protection for the screen. I just wonder if this Tuff Luv does too.
I refer to this "large flap" as the "front cover" in my review and it is, as mentioned, filled with something stiff but bendable. It is definitively not floppy. It might be some plastic plate or some strengthened cardboard. I don't know. It is sufficient to support the reader in a horizontal position when reading in bed.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I am still intrigued by the cover-up covers, especially now that they have them in coloured leather for the smaller models, so hopefully they will have them in colour for the 90X models, too (but I could not find a contact for them to write and double check).
Thanks for the review - the stand is attractive, but I have just falen in love with the Cover-up covers, which are now coming in colour (red and purple for the moment). ONly thing is, they weigh 330g, and I wonder whether they are too light to offer good protection: has anybody tried the m out?

One cover that a user on the Russian forum says is very sturdy is this one, which however only comes for the 60X for the moment, but I am keeping an eye on it..
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

does anyone have an experience with the cover-up cases? I have also seen this one, which seems identical, apart from fewer colours available and the substantially lower price. I was hoping an "ipad" like case would turn up, so as to be able to read in landscape comfortably, but I've given up hope...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
does anyone have an experience with the cover-up cases? I have also seen this one...
I bought a cover for my 903 and one for my 603. The leather exterior has a very nice feel imho.
I bought mine via German Amazon.
I think it a handy cover because the front can be bent in this way :

For the 603 I bought a black one, for the 903 a purple one.
If you would like to know something else, fire away your questions, Paola
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
paola
Wizard

many thanks: in fact, the fact that it can be completely turned over to the otehr side as in teh picture is really great, as this is how I would be using it: but does the leather on the other side look damaged?

And two more questions for you: do you think your cover is enough if then you throw the reader in a backpack, or would you use somethinng more (e.g. a sleeve)? Finally, doesn't the navitech one look strikingly similar?