Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by csskkai View Post
hmm so it it's even less of a white screen than the 505?? Because the first thing I noticed about the 505 when I bought it was that the white wasn't white, more like a gray, and the black wasn't really black, but more like darker gray. But that didn't really bother me anymore.
But wow, it got worse?
The touch sensitive layer on top of the screen adversely affects the screen clarity - it's not particularly "transparent".

Quote:
I'm still terribly torn. My 505 is perfectly fine... but I don't want to miss and opportunity for an upgrade either.
It's really a very different machine. Not particularly an "upgrade". Unlike the 505, which was a straight replacement for the 500, the 700 is not a replacement for the 505; both will continue to be sold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
danioro
danioro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
bear in mind that sony books are consistently 20% higher than Kindle books, despite prolonged outcry from a frustrated customer base.
danioro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danioro View Post
bear in mind that sony books are consistently 20% higher than Kindle books, despite prolonged outcry from a frustrated customer base.
Why would you buy e-books from Sony? It's easy to convert PRC, Lit, more recently even epub got cracked... Calibre is just superb for making lrf's.

No reason to buy books from the Sony store
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Hello guys, I'm still new here, but had to pop in as my Sony PRS-700 FINALLY arrived about a hour ago. I had to pay $8 import duties, but who cares. that's NOTHING!!
It's still busy charging, but looks wonderful so far. I hope I can learn from all the experts here.
I was a little surprised that there was no instruction manual as such, just a folded instruction sheet. Is it that simple to operate and transfer books etc.!
I have bought several Sony products in my life and they all came with quite thick manuals!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dragonbone, I can't speak about the Sony software, because I never installed it, but if you use Caliber, it's pretty easy to put things on the device. Just highlight a book in your library and click "send to device". The hardest part with Caliber is procuring the books, since it's not integrated into any kind of store. You'll have to download them on your own and then "add file" them into Caliber.

Alternatively, when you plug in the reader, it also shows up like a USB thumb drive, and you can copy files to it. Or you can copy files to a memory card, and then put the memory card into it.

It's probably not quite "Kindle"-easy, but as far as tech stuff goes, it's definitely way up there on the "easy" scale.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Thanks Sigma8. That gives me some hope because reading some of the technical posts on the Sony reader forums, I was starting to wonder if I may need a degree in programming or something before using my reader!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #22
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I originally had a PRS-500, and decided to get a new Reader in January when the $100 trade-in offer was available. Now, I use the Reader only to read books for pleasure - so annotations, search, etc. have no appeal to me. I simply want the best-looking screen to read content on. But, I also love gadgets, so the "newness" of the 700 was somewhat appealing. I went into the local Sony store to compare the two - and fairly quickly concluded that the 505 was definitely the one for me. The eInk display was noticeably better, and the cost (for me) was $200 cheaper. While the 700 is by no means a bad option, or a poor display, the 505 really does look better. I'd recommend saving the $100 and getting a 505 unless some feature of the 700 is helpful in the way you will use the Reader.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #23
dragonbone
must love dogs

Wonderful reader!

I LOVE my new Sony PRS-700. OK, admittedly I only received my Sony yesterday and have never used another reader or even seen one, as there aren't any Sony or Kindle readers sold here. I also have only used it for about 4 hours, three last night and about one today....
A couple of (newbie) points I would definitely like to make though...
When I took it out of the box, the first thing I noticed that there was NONE of the so-called 'glare' that people are complaining about. Upon first critical inspection I thought that I caught a vague reflection of myself, as I was terrified I might, after reading some critical reviews. But after a few seconds I completely forgot about it, while inspecting everything else, and only just remembered about it while writing this post. In short, I don't see any 'glare' whatsoever.
Foggy screen? What foggy screen? Once again, I don't have any other eink reader to compare with, so perhaps it may look foggy to users of the PRS-505, whose screen is apparently crisper.... don't know, but it look more than fine to me.
Smudges on the screen? Oh no! That is so not true. I'm in the middle of a heel-cracking dry winter, and religiously slather my hands and feet with thick lotion every night before snuggling up and reading in bed. Last night was no exception and I totally forgot that my reader was NOT a book OR an iPod. After reading for about half an hour, I suddenly remembered and checked my (BRAND new) device in fear and horror! To my relief, not a single greasy smudge in sight. I turned it every which way - nothing - nada - zilch! Oh, and I was using my fingers to 'turn' pages. None of those long deliberate sweeps, like in the videos. No, just little movements, like turning the page of a paper book and it works anywhere on the screen.
So IMHO it's great and I'm very relieved and happy with my purchase. A smashing device all round!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Great to hear you are enjoying your 700, dragonbone! I am still tempted to move up to the 700 from my 505, the touchscreen feature sounds great. And I really love the light wedge I have for my 505, but it would be nice if it were integrated like the 700.

I keep weakening everyday, thinking I might just make the leap.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

I keep weakening everyday, thinking I might just make the leap.
Just get it from a place like Target that will take it back if you don't like it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Yeah, I'm lucky to have a Borders in town where I could try both the 505 and 700 although both devices are actually locked down (immobile) and parts of the device are covered up by the steel cage. I liked both displays and enjoy the touchscreen even more.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
dragonbone
must love dogs

Hey Donnageddon, I see you have several devices already. Have you seen the 700 and compared it to your 505? If so what do YOU think?
It took me months to decide between the two, as I had to rely entirely on pictures, videos and OP's reviews, to make up my mind. I loved the PRS-505 Red with a red cover. (Too cool and stylish for words, especially compared the the Kindle!) The light wedge is perfect with the 505 but then you couldn't use the nice red leather cover at the same time.... little tiny points like that, made me sway this way and that.

Personally, if I had already had the 505 I think I might have waited for the NEXT generation, since the 700 doesn't seem to be such a huge leap forward from the 505. (I'm STILL using my iPod 80GB classic, not having felt the urge to change to touch screen until they increased the GB!) After all, the 505 HAS the wedge, which works perfectly fine. If you really wanted the touch screen and the ability to take notes, that would be another matter, then the 700 may be the way to go.
The new Bebook which I hear was unveiled on Friday, looks VERY promising too, being able to actually write on a book page with the stylus, much like the very expensive Iliad? Then there are all the exciting rumors about Plastic Logic later this year..... I just couldn't wait though, I wanted a reader now, not next year. I think this is just the beginning and there are going to be huge leaps and bounds forward in the very near future!

I was amazed to read Thibaulthalpern's comment that the Sony readers were in metal cages! They must be truly desirable items!
Yes, I'm loving the touch screen and think I've made the right choice for me. I spent a few hours again last night, happily reading in bed and on checking my reader in the light of day this morning, I don't see a single smudge or fingerprint! Amazing really, as, once again I had slathered my hands and feet with lotion before turning in, forgetting that lotion and new readers may not go hand in hand. It's a habit of many, many years, so that I do it without even thinking. But honestly, not a smudge in sight. It must have a special smudge resistant screen.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #28
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just get it from a place like Target that will take it back if you don't like it.

BOb
I have seen the 505 at the local target, but not the 700.

dragonbone:
Quote:
Have you seen the 700 and compared it to your 505? If so what do YOU think?
Nope, I am pretty sure they have them at Frys which is not too far from me, but I have not checked it out yet.

Quote:
Personally, if I had already had the 505 I think I might have waited for the NEXT generation, since the 700 doesn't seem to be such a huge leap forward from the 505. (I'm STILL using my iPod 80GB classic, not having felt the urge to change to touch screen until they increased the GB!) After all, the 505 HAS the wedge, which works perfectly fine. If you really wanted the touch screen and the ability to take notes, that would be another matter, then the 700 may be the way to go.
I would like the touch screen just for ease of turning the page, and the potential of a look-up dictionary on the 700. But then, I am not sure Sony is ever going to add look-up dictionary functionality to the 700. It may wait for the next generation.

The light wedge works fine, but it can be awkward when used while reading in bed, and does add a bit of "heft" to the 505. That is why the integrated lighting of the 700 sounds intriguing.

At the end of the day, I think I will wait of the next generation readers to come out. It should be pretty exciting!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Hello guys, I'm still new here, but had to pop in as my Sony PRS-700 FINALLY arrived about a hour ago. I had to pay $8 import duties, but who cares. that's NOTHING!!
It's still busy charging, but looks wonderful so far. I hope I can learn from all the experts here.
I was a little surprised that there was no instruction manual as such, just a folded instruction sheet. Is it that simple to operate and transfer books etc.!
I have bought several Sony products in my life and they all came with quite thick manuals!
0o0o0o0 congrats! what do you think so far? I'm still in my honey moon period with mine. Have you tried the processing speed with an SD card yet? I find that over 400 books it takes too long to load... but then again why would any one need 400 books on them at all times?... well.. one can never know when the book worm attack hits

Last edited by Alphapheemail; 03-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #30
dragonbone
must love dogs

Hey Alphapheemail!
Sorry I didn't realize anyone had commented on my post. Congrats to you too . How long have you had your reader?
Yesterday we, (finally) had some sunshine so I went to the park with my dog, and sat on a bench in 'dog land', let my dog off his leash and opened my Sony reader. I didn't get too much reading done, because the people near me were trying to see what I was reading and it was a bit disturbing to my concentration, as I'm a bit shy and hate to look like I'm showing off. I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible... not easy though since I always stick out here in Japan and people are always looking. Never mind, I'll get used to using it in public soon enough ...
Anyway, I CAN see now that reading outside is amazing. I had sunglasses on and the wind was fairly howling, but no page fluttering (or ripping). No movement at all - obviously, but for me that was really great, since the slightest thing bothering my eyes gives me a headache. I will definitely be taking my reader outside to read often, especially when the weather warms up a bit.
Are you using Calibre exclusively or are you using the Sony software too? I just discovered that I can't buy from certain bookstore without the Sony software installed.

Tags
505, 700, screen, sony, upgrade