Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Who Owns My Books?

Having pre-ordered a PRS 700 I have decided to auction my old reader on eBay. My question is: Can I legally sell it with my library of books in memory? The majority are Connect purchased best sellers complete with DRM.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that the answer is "no". The books are not transferrable to a different person, unless you transfer your entire Connect account to that person.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
To say nothing of the fact that the reader should be de-registered from your account or the new purchaser may not be able to register it in their own name and account. Once that happens, your connect books may not work anyway.

When the 700 comes (we're down to 3 weeks if the shipping date is accurate on the Sony web-site) you'll register that with your Connect account and all your books will become available again.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
When the 700 comes (we're down to 3 weeks if the shipping date is accurate on the Sony web-site)
Let's hope it is accurate. Borders has the PRS-700 listed as well with a release date of Dec 2nd.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you register a 500 or 505 to a different account, any books from the eBookstore purchased with the previous account will no longer work as the DRM will not allow them to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
.....to continue the discussion: Even if it was legal, the way Sony works all this is that the Reader needs to be de-registered.

Failing to de-register a Reader means that it is still on your Account, and there only a fixed number of devices (Reader; Computer) that you can have. You will WANT to de-register that Reader if you let go.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Thanks for the informed answers. Seems like a bit of a con though. if I buy a paper back book I can legally sell it on if I remove the cover. Don't know the law on hard back books.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
xcentricmalaika
xcentricmalaika doesn't litterxcentricmalaika doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Thanks for the informed answers. Seems like a bit of a con though. if I buy a paper back book I can legally sell it on if I remove the cover. Don't know the law on hard back books.

Hughdal
If that's true, then why does the first page of a book say something to the effect of "If the cover is missing, this book was stolen"?
xcentricmalaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you sell a physical book, you sell the book completely. When you sell an eBook, you can (in most cases) still have access to download another copy or actually keep a copy. So there is no way to guarantee you've actually sold the eBook and no longer have any access to it.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentricmalaika View Post
If that's true, then why does the first page of a book say something to the effect of "If the cover is missing, this book was stolen"?
Because when a book is remaindered, the cover is taken off and any book without a cover is not to be sold. So the only way to get it is to get it illegally.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentricmalaika View Post
Probably because if a shop have sent back the cover and got the money in exchange for them destroying the book the the shop have stolen it. But that does not hold for ordinary customs.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you sell a physical book, you sell the book completely. When you sell an eBook, you can (in most cases) still have access to download another copy or actually keep a copy. So there is no way to guarantee you've actually sold the eBook and no longer have any access to it.
And you could have made a photocopy of the physical book. So what?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:

Hughdal
If you are selling a used book, you don't need to remove the cover. THe whole issue of removed covers actual comes back into the illegal area. When a book store (or other retailer) can't sell a book, they will commonly rip the front covers off and return them to the distributor who will then credit their account. At this point, the retailer is supposed to throw them away or recycle the books. This is commonly called stripping the books. The main reasoning for this is to save on shipping unsold books back and forth. Some smaller retailers (and some not smaller) will sell them at a super discount or give them away. At this point, they are committing fraud by claiming the books were destroyed and then sold them. Some book publishers do not support the stripping of books and require that the unsold copies be returned to them so they can be resold through other outlets.

When I was a kid, my dad worked for Montgomery Ward and they had a book section. Every week or so, I would get to go look through the boxes of books that stripped and take what I wanted for like 25¢ each. I am very grateful for this since we had very little money when I was growing up, so it let me read more and not have to make trips to the library (which I pretty much lived at).

I know there was a company I worked for the did a similar thing with magazines. They cut the top couple inches off the covers and sent them back for credit. Then the stripped magazines went in the staff lounge.

This is not an issue with ebooks, of course, since there is no physical book to resale ala used books stores. Just one of the concessions you make to purchasing a non-physical item. You don't actually own anything more than a copy of specialized code.

Sorry for the hijack.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And you could have made a photocopy of the physical book. So what?
True you could have. But most people won't have. Odds are a lot greater of a copy of the eBook kept then the pBook copied.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Thanks for the informed answers. Seems like a bit of a con though.
And another person discovers the "joys" of DRM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote