Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Mkoenig
Mkoenig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Kindle for Mac book folder location

I have Kindle for Mac installed. I have registered it and downloaded my Amazon purchased books into it. I am trying to locate the actual files of those books on my Mac. I have read that they should be in a folder called "My Kindle Content" in my Documents folder. However, I have no such folder. I have even searched my drive for "Kindle" and find nothing. I also find nothing when searching AZW. I thought it may be some issue with that Mac. So, I installed Kindle for Mac on my Mac laptop (never been installed on this one before) and registered it and downloaded the books. Same thing! Can't find them. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
Marc
Mkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Look under "preferences" and "General" on the pref pane. The Content folder path is shown there. Mine defaults to my Documents folders and "My Kindle Content" but it can be changed to whatever you want.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Mkoenig

The only things shown under "General" are the registered user name, date registered, and a button to deregister. No other info or options. Any other suggestions? I'm stuck.
Marc
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
That's odd. Under "Registered On" date I have "Content Folder" (showing path and a change button) and below that I have a "Dictionary" option, "Live dictionary preview" checkbox. What version Kindle for Mac do you have? Mine is 1.4.0

You are talking about the Mac desktop application, right? When you click "Home" in the main Kindle for Mac window do you see your books? (Non-downloaded but purchased books show under the "Archived Items" section.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Only the newest version of K4Mac (1.4?) has the feature to show/change where books are stored.

If you're using Spotlight to search for files/folders, it's not always configured to search the entire drive.

Check this MobileRead thread for more details.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Mkoenig

That was the problem. I didn't have the latest version, even though it is what I just redownloaded via the Mac App Store. So, I have now downloaded it directly from Amazon and it gave me version 1.4. Oddly, when I went to install it, I got a message saying it was an older version than the one I already had installed, even though my installed version was 1.2 something. BTW, the default location for my files is [user]/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content. I'm not sure why this wasn't shown when I searched. DiapDealer, I am searching via Finder, selecting my harddrive to be searched. Perhaps I don't understand something about how the search feature works.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Ben1canobe
Ben1canobe began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Book Pro and Ipad
I was going crazy trying to find the folder but it was hidden - Here is the fix I found to "UN HIDE" the missing Kindle folder...

Mac OS X 10.7 & OS X 10.8 defaults to hiding the users Library directory, this is probably to keep people from accidentally deleting or damaging files that are necessary for OS X Lion to function properly. That is fine for novice users, but for some of us, we want to be able to access ~/Library/ at will. A visible Library folder was also the default setting in past versions of Mac OS X, here is how to get this back.
Show User ~/Library in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion

Launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad -> Utilities, and enter the following command to show or hide the directory:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

The users Library folder will immediately become visible again. Reverting this back to the standard Lion setting is simple too:
Hide User ~/Library in OS X Lion (default setting)

This returns to the default setting of hiding the user Library directory:
chflags hidden ~/Library

Changes take effect immediately again, and Library becomes invisible to the user.

Update: temporary one-off solutions are also available for quick access to User Library in Lion

It was there - but I just could see it... [user]/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content

Hope this helps...
Ben1canobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1canobe View Post
[user]/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content
Yes, you'll find them in a folder called 'My Kindle Content'.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoenig View Post
That was the problem. I didn't have the latest version, even though it is what I just redownloaded via the Mac App Store. So, I have now downloaded it directly from Amazon and it gave me version 1.4. Oddly, when I went to install it, I got a message saying it was an older version than the one I already had installed, even though my installed version was 1.2 something. BTW, the default location for my files is [user]/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content. I'm not sure why this wasn't shown when I searched. DiapDealer, I am searching via Finder, selecting my harddrive to be searched. Perhaps I don't understand something about how the search feature works.
Thanks,
Marc
Spotlight doesnt search the Library folder, as the average user shouldn't have to go in there. It is wrong of Amazon to download book files into that folder, they should go in the Documents folder.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Spotlight doesnt search the Library folder,
A cmd-F Find from the Finder does, if you tell it to : by choosing "System files" and "are included" from the dropdowns.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
oGorgeous
Nameless Being

Open K4Mac. Go to File > Preferences. Command-click on 'My Kindle Content'. That'll open the folder.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #13
gene777
gene777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for OSX
Location of Kindle book content in Mac OSX 10.8.5

Yes, this is a reply to an old thread.
The answers I saw didn't work for the operating system abovenoted.
I use a MacBook Air with the above operating system.
I use the Kindle Reader app for MacOSX.
That said, to DEFINITELY find where Kindle book content is stored, here is the location for this operating system. Whether this is good for later ones I don't know. Here is the path:
HD(hard drive icon)/Users/(your computer icon or name)/library (stop: this library is DELIBERATELY HIDDEN BY APPLE. To find it press OPTION key, then select the GO from the finder menu, and it appears; then select it)/containers/com.amazon.Kindle/data/library/application support/kindle/mykindle content. And there it is!
All 172 books (encrypted names) were there.
Hope this helps!
gene777 is offline   Reply With Quote