Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
galneweinhaw
galneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Question Two basic infos missing: price and # pages?

Hi,

Is there a way to turn on price and # of pages while browsing books? I am getting a sinking feeling I should have waited for the Kindle paperwhite to hit Canada...

This is my first ereader and it is turning into a frustrating experience!
galneweinhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by galneweinhaw View Post
Hi,

Is there a way to turn on price and # of pages while browsing books? I am getting a sinking feeling I should have waited for the Kindle paperwhite to hit Canada...

This is my first ereader and it is turning into a frustrating experience!
The Kobo shop doesn't supply a page count for its books, so there is no real solution to that (other than to buy the book somewhere else I guess).

But I can see the price shown right above the "buy now" button when browsing from the Glo. The price is in my local currency ($NZ). Is this different to what you see?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1012.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	99406  

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-15-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: To add photo
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just noticed that the prices are missing if you use the bookstore search rather than browse. You are right to complain about this, it is bad form to have a buy now button without a price!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just noticed that the prices are missing if you use the bookstore search rather than browse. You are right to complain about this, it is bad form to have a buy now button without a price!
Buy now doesn't actually just buy the book. It takes you to a page with all the details including price, payment info etc. before you actually consent to buying.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Buy now doesn't actually just buy the book. It takes you to a page with all the details including price, payment info etc. before you actually consent to buying.

the first time i tried to just click buy to find the price, it wanted my credit card info...which i didn't want to give....and i never saw such a page. haven't tried it since i was on the initial glo firmware....so i suppose that might have changed...
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Well that is a relief :-) But it would be nice to have the price shown above the buy now button, especially since it is there in browse mode.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
galneweinhaw
galneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura aboutgalneweinhaw has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo glo
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear, I was talking about a lack of prices when using the search function.

If I search the store for "On Liberty" I get 200 hundred responses. It took me clicking on about 20 of them before realizing that this search didn't include the free ones (had to click them all cus the price didn't show in the list view) and there was no way to sort by price either?

As for lack of page numbers (or something e-equivalent) how would you tell if a book you are buying is 50 "pages" vs 1050 "pages" (or equivalent...). How do I tell if a book I am buying is a massive epic tome vs an essay or novella?

galneweinhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
After some experimenting I've found that there doesn't appear to be any way to sort by price or just show free books when searching the Kobo store directly from a Kobo device. However free books have a "Download" button next to them and non-free books have a "Buy" button, so you can quickly see which are free and which aren't.

Also, when you tap the "Buy" button it will ask for your credit card info if you haven't already entered these details, but there is a "Skip" button on this screen so you can skip entering your CC details and get to the page that shows you the price. Unfortunately you have to skip every time you tap the "Buy" button as it doesn't remember you want to skip!

Of course when using the Kobo website you can use the filter option to only show free books.

Search results on the Kobo website and on a Kobo device seem to be different. A search of "Treasure Island" on my Kobo Glo boughtt up 54 results, while the same search on the website bought up 126 results. Only two of the 54 on my Glo were free, but filtering the 126 to show free books bought up 50!

A search for "mystery" on my Glo bought up 200 results, and on the website 59437. I'm guessing the e-readers have a limit of 200 results.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Also, when you tap the "Buy" button it will ask for your credit card info if you haven't already entered these details, but there is a "Skip" button on this screen so you can skip entering your CC details and get to the page that shows you the price. Unfortunately you have to skip every time you tap the "Buy" button as it doesn't remember you want to skip!
Don't press the "Buy Now" button. Press somewhere else on the line. This opens the details page for the book which does have the price.

@galneweinhaw: On the details page, pressing "Synopsis" opens a menu. Choose "Details" to see the file size and other details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't press the "Buy Now" button. Press somewhere else on the line. This opens the details page for the book which does have the price.
Hey that's cool! Thanks for pointing that out!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote