Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #391
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There are several posts on this already. You can connect several devices, including USB sticks, on the USB port using a USB OTG cable.
Requires special cable (not exactly as easy/ergonomic as plugging in an sd card or a thumb drive). I'm a I.T. guy by trade / hardware geek and I don't have one of these laying around.

AND

Requires rooting (voids warranty, technically, plus can cause issues with Google video rentals, etc)

Annoying workarounds with side-effects/repercussions/etc. Fine for techies, not practical for others IMO.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #392
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That what is so disappointing about the faulty design of the otherwise quite competent N7. Instead of a no external power required postage stamp sized several gram weight 32GB or 64GB SD or microSD card, a clumsy higher powered and exponentially heavier kludge is required to get any decent storage. IMHO, the decision to forgo the much simpler SD expansion that is normal with most Android tablets was a political move to encourage more use of the cloud storage strategy that is the current vogue with Google.
I disagree. SD expansion omission is certainly not a "faulty" design -- it is an option that the manufacturer elects to include or not. This, of course, would increase the price of the device. While cloud storage is encouraged (and not just by Google, BTW), I suspect the majority of "average" consumers would not be willing to pay more than $199/249 for a 7" tablet.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #393
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I disagree.
That is your prerogative.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #394
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm hearing reports of "screen lift." Hopefully, they are isolated incidents.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #395
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What is "screen lift"?
Never heard that expression before.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #396
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What is "screen lift"?
It seems like the screen is lifting :-) There was som discussion at the Swedish Android forum about this. Some people having ordered it had this problem. There are suggested fixes. It also seems that Asus have a world guarantee so if they start selling it in Sweden people that have bouyght it in other ways can use that. Rumour say they are going to start sell it in Sweden in the beginning of September.

The other problem I have seen mentioned are dead pixels.

But I still want to buy one when I am at the Worldcon in Chicago in the beginning of September.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #397
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What is "screen lift"?
On some units the screen is not properly attached, some fault with the glue, or the screws. As a result the screen sits a big higher than it should, on one side of the device I believe. You can push it in, but it will raise again.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #398
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is your prerogative.
Quite.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #399
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Meh so I gave in and got an Android tablet despite the lack of content.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #400
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Meh so I gave in and got an Android tablet despite the lack of content.
Honestly if I wasn't under a moratorium on gadget spending until other goals have been reached, I would probably do the same.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #401
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I own the 16GB Nexus 7 having returned my Galaxy Tab 2 for it. The decision to do so was a no-brainer. The Nexus 7 dwarfs the Tab in performance and screen display.

There is a "work-around" to gain more memory. There is now an App on Google Play that activates the mini-USB port for OTG use.

It works flawlessly on my unit and I use a 32 GB card to feed video or what have you to the Nexus 7.

Around the house or office, it is zero issue to me to have the short cable dangling.

The App from the Play Store.

The Mini-USB to Female USB Adaptor The hyperlink has been disappearing so here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 )

Another option is to use a W-Drive.

Last edited by dougf4; 09-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #402
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
I own the 16GB Nexus 7 having returned my Galaxy Tab 2 for it. The decision to do so was a no-brainer. The Nexus 7 dwarfs the Tab in performance and screen display.

There is a "work-around" to gain more memory. There is now an App on Google Play that activates the mini-USB port for OTG use.

It works flawlessly on my unit and I use a 32 GB card to feed video or what have you to the Nexus 7.

Around the house or office, it is zero issue to me to have the short cable dangling.

The App from the Play Store.

The Mini-USB to Female USB Adaptor The hyperlink has been disappearing so here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 )

Another option is to use a W-Drive.
Interesting. I did the opposite... got a GTab 2 instead of the Nexus 7. For me too it was a no-brainer. The Student Edition bundle is a terrific buy and it works extremely well.

It all goes to show that variety of choice is helpful because our needs/wants are different.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #403
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
I don't even have a Nexus 7 yet, but I ordered the cable. It was only seventy five cents delivered!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #404
lookup
Connoisseur
lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: epub reader :D
I think the decision to not include a slot , could be developed into newer samsung/nexus models if the motive was profit. This would surely be a controversial move and even now with the nexus , its not up there as it shouldve been .
lookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #405
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Interesting. I did the opposite... got a GTab 2 instead of the Nexus 7. For me too it was a no-brainer. The Student Edition bundle is a terrific buy and it works extremely well.

It all goes to show that variety of choice is helpful because our needs/wants are different.
Yes I got the tab 2 10.1 instead of the nexus. Mainly because of the bigger screen size, expandable memory and the fact that it works in landscape. I've also got a keyboard to go with it. I'm happy with it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote