Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
f2ndchild
f2ndchild began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Deregistering Used Kindle Touch w/ a Broken Screen

It was electronics day at my town landfill and someone was throwing out a Kindle Touch with a screen that didn't work. I decided to salvage it, because I wanted to see if I could fix it up and use it. I tried to register it to my Kindle PC account, but to no avail. The problem is that it is already registered to another account. I know that you can de-register the Kindle using the Kindle itself, but the problem is I can't access any of the options on the Kindle since the screen doesn't work. Is there a way I could de-register it by hooking it up to my PC? Or is there any other way?
Thanks
f2ndchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

The only other way I can think of is through the Amazon account via the Amazon Manage My Kindle web page, but since that requires access to the former owner's account you won't be able to do that. Unless you know the former owner, in which case you can ask her/him to deregister it on their Manage My Kindle web page. They should do that any way to free up the device and keep someone from using their account.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can temporarily "borrow" the screen from another touch. You can get ssh installed on it using tools from the "simple debricking" sticky thread in the dev corner. Then you can install a remote tool that exports the framebuffer over USB, making the kindle screen CONTENTS visible on your host PC. For the touch, there is a VNC server that runs on Xorg in the touch. There are also native mode methods that would even work in diagnostics.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
A crazy idea
see the post #8
Spoiler:
  1. print this image
  2. remove the marked areas
  3. place it on the screen of the Touch
  4. mark the screen
  5. remove the page
  6. use this marks to deregister

for the attachment see the post #8

Last edited by thomass; 07-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
A crazy idea
  1. print this image
  2. remove the marked areas
  3. place it on the screen of the Touch
  4. mark the screen
  5. remove the page
  6. use this marks to deregister
This is a great idea, but (on infrared touchscreens) it can be a lot simpler. No need to remove the marked areas, or to mark the screen, or to remove the page, The K5 touchscreen uses infrared LEDs and photocells behind the raised bezel. It can sense touches through (above) paper. Be sure that the paper lays flat and does not block any light across its surface or it can cause false touches.

I plan to use this method for "broken screen" touch devices (not just kindles) in the future.

P.S. Be sure that the printed image is from a matching firmware version, because of different menu layouts. Also, yifanlu's GUI launcher can move menu items, which also changes the required touch locations. So we really need multiple printable "templates" for different menu layouts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
P.S. Also, yifanlu's GUI launcher can move menu items, which also changes the required touch locations. So we really need multiple printable "templates" for different menu layouts.[/COLOR]
I forgot about the "launcher"

Click image for larger version

Name:	deregister.gif
Views:	751
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	88850
blue 2 is for the Kindle do not have the launcher menu item
red 2 is for the Kindle which have the launcher menu item

BTW this is for Kindle Touch 5.1.0 (You may want to use the one on the post #8 )

I think now it's fixed ?

( Apparently not since the menu is centered vertically the bllue area should be lower a little )

Anyway, the idea still holds. But we need some more screenshots...

Last edited by thomass; 07-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
I forgot about the "launcher"
Attachment 88850
blue 2 is for the Kindle do not have the launcher menu item
red 2 is for the Kindle which have the launcher menu item

BTW this is for Kindle Touch 5.1.0

I think now it's fixed ?
Getting closer. If I was using it I would be VERY tempted to touch the colored circles with the numbers in them. Perhaps they should be moved INSIDE the corresponding touch regions so that touching them will work?

Also, much of the background "noise" can be removed from the printable image. Perhaps just the numbered touch points and a little description of what they do, rather than a screenshot? And perhaps a description to guide choosing which points to touch for their menu layout (or separate printouts for different layouts, for less confusion).

If you stay with the "single template" approach, I would change the SHAPES of the colored circles, so no color printer required. IMHO, of course...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard

This one is to print
BTW: I'm not sure about the grey 2

Click image for larger version

Name:	deregistration template for 5.1.0.gif
Views:	727
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	88852

Last edited by thomass; 07-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
This one is to print
BTW: I'm not sure about the grey 2

Attachment 88852
Bad attachment. Clicking it says to notify moderator. I did.

EDIT: Link now good. Must have been a "timing" problem?

That looks much easier to use. Personally, I would add a short description in addition to the "title", such as "To deregister a kindle touch with a broken eink screen, print this template, then cut it out and lay it flat on the kindle touch screen, so that it does not block infrared light from the black bezel edges surrounding the screen. Then touch the numbered areas in order, corresponding to your kindle model (as indicated)." Yes, that is rather wordy, but I find that leaving out details often leads to more confusion. Again, IMHO.

Like most creative design, this is an iterative processes requiring mutliple steps (spread over a sequence of posts here). Anyway, even the first one was a HUGE improvement over previous methods. The refinements just attempt to avoid possible confusion for the broadest audience.

And again, I think that this method is a brilliant idea, and thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Link now good. Must have been a "timing" problem?
fixed a small error
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
fixed a small error
I see that my typo (fixed now in my post) made it into your template:

s/you kindle model/your kindle model/

With that placement, I would also change:

s/(as indicated)/(as indicated above)./

Is there any difference in 5.0.x firmware menu layouts? If not, this template may work for them too. To support multiple firmwares, beware of that nasty "airplane" mode menu thing affecting 5.1.1.

Anyway, this solves the problem for this thread. We can modify this for other usages too, hopefully following the template style that has been developed here (or a better one designed by a GUI expert).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
or a better one designed by a GUI expert
agreed

Tags
broken, kindle, register, screen, touch