Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #61
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll third Echoes. My wife has read them all and I've never read a single book by her. I'm a little curious.

She's also read all of Jodi Picoult's books and I've not read one. Can any of her books be classified as romances? If so, I'd likely vote for a nominee.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #62
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Maybe. A quick perusal seems to show her as chick-lit/mystery for the most part, but
The Pact seems to be tagged as romance more than chick-lit. It might be an option, but I'm out of nominations.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I've received a good feedback from Tigers and Devils from my sister (thankfully she didn't spoil the story for me like she usually does) I'm too undecided which book I'd nominate as my 3rd. Leaning in between Jane Eyre and The Plum Tree...

But I'll have to go with Jane Eyre because it's a classic I should've read a long time ago.
The term classic as used mostly on MR means Old, boring, obsolete, and just not an enjoyable read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #64
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^I wouldn't go that far, but the book club does read a lot of books that are in the classic pile. I would appreciate a little more variety in the age of books that are read.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I wouldn't go that far, but the book club does read a lot of books that are in the classic pile. I would appreciate a little more variety in the age of books that are read.
What it seems to me is that a lot of similar type classic books are chosen. I too would like more variety. That's why I chose what I did because it's a modern book and it's not the same type of romance that most nominate.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #66
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The Age of Innocence is offered in the US free today only by Open Road Media at the following retailers:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5EBFB4

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=9781480483798

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=eSSDAwAAQBAJhttps://play.google.com/store/books/...d=eSSDAwAAQBAJ

Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...f-innocence-72
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #67
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'll third Echoes. My wife has read them all and I've never read a single book by her. I'm a little curious.
I've read almost all of her work, apart from the newest couple. I do know a couple of guys who are fans of her work. She's very good at taking the time to introduce each of the characters and their back stories as part of unfolding the main plot.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #68
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The term classic as used mostly on MR means Old, boring, obsolete, and just not an enjoyable read.
Mark Twain I understand called them the books that "Everyone wants read but no one wants to read." Anyway Jane Eyre is a good read (IMO).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #69
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Third Fighting Redemption
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #70
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's the first time I joined the MR Book club and I didn't know. Haha.
I really want to read the classic books though, because they'd have to be really good to still be continuously commended for years until the next generation. What really convinced me with Jane Eyre is the reviews about her personality, especially since it was written during the time where views about women was of their minuscule, unimportant roles to society.

Last edited by Lin2412; 01-29-2015 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling error
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
It's the first time I joined the MR Book club and I didn't know. Haha.
I really want to read the classic books though, because they'd have to be really good to still be continuously commended for years until the next generation. What really convinced me with Jane Eyre is the reviews about her personality, especially since it was written during the time where views about women was of their minuscule, unimportant roles to society.
My advice is not to read something like Jane Eyre not because others do. Read it because it interests you.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #72
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Jane Eyre.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #73
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I've got my guess on the front runners.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I read and reread Jane Eyre so many times as an adolescent that I'm not sure I'll give it another go, although it would undoubtedly be interesting to read it from the perspective of maturity. I can probably remember it well enough to discuss it.

I'd love to see Ali and Nino picked, but the ebook is eye-poppingly pricey (cheap options in paper). I plan to read it in any case and thanks to HIMS for the nomination, as I'd never heard of it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
By the way, this is what this thread looks like in my Tapatalk app:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422559958.154774.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	134314

I hope when we switch over to the new system that it will play better with Tapatalk. As it it's now, many of our tags, such as the [COLOR] tag, causes text to be invisible.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote