Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Sony epub conversion issues

Hi,

I have been experimenting with customizing some of the eBooks I found in the MR uploads section, but I ran in to some conversion issues going from LRF to epub.

i) It seems that if you run the conversion in Calibre multiple times (eg, didn't like the result the first time), then any extra CSS gets appended multiple times as well. I found this happened specifically with new font declarations -- the HTML files had the same font declarations added again with each conversion. Is this a bug, or is it meant to work this way for some reason?

ii) There seems to be some inconsistency between the way that Calibre interprets HTML and renders the file as compared to how it is rendered by the Sony Reader software and the actual PRS reader. For instance, Calibre seems to put in links (eg in the toc) entries that point to things like

<content src="72.xhtml#196"/>

and the links work but these tags get munged in the Sony interpretation. For some reason clicking on the corresponding link in the Sony rendered table of contents doesn't actually resolve to 72.xhtml#196; it goes somewhere else, in fact in a different file. If I remove the #196 and just point to 72.xhtml, all works well. Is there some way to make Calibre render the same way Sony does?

Thanks in advance,

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
i) It seems that if you run the conversion in Calibre multiple times (eg, didn't like the result the first time), then any extra CSS gets appended multiple times as well. I found this happened specifically with new font declarations -- the HTML files had the same font declarations added again with each conversion. Is this a bug, or is it meant to work this way for some reason?
Are you running LRF->ePub multiple times, or are you running LRF->ePub once and then doing ePub->ePub?

Quote:
ii) There seems to be some inconsistency between the way that Calibre interprets HTML and renders the file as compared to how it is rendered by the Sony Reader software and the actual PRS reader. [...] Is there some way to make Calibre render the same way Sony does?
No. The Calibre ebook viewer is not intended to act as a simulator for any device. It will render ebooks as it sees fit, with no regard to device specifics.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
ii) Every device (and viewer app) will render differently depending on how much of the EPUB spec they implement and how they interpret it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Hi,

ii) There seems to be some inconsistency between the way that Calibre interprets HTML and renders the file as compared to how it is rendered by the Sony Reader software and the actual PRS reader. For instance, Calibre seems to put in links (eg in the toc) entries that point to things like

<content src="72.xhtml#196"/>

and the links work but these tags get munged in the Sony interpretation. For some reason clicking on the corresponding link in the Sony rendered table of contents doesn't actually resolve to 72.xhtml#196; it goes somewhere else, in fact in a different file. If I remove the #196 and just point to 72.xhtml, all works well. Is there some way to make Calibre render the same way Sony does?
I have a vague memory that names/ids in <a> tags need to begin with an alpha character not a digit.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Are you running LRF->ePub multiple times, or are you running LRF->ePub once and then doing ePub->ePub?

No. The Calibre ebook viewer is not intended to act as a simulator for any device. It will render ebooks as it sees fit, with no regard to device specifics.
About the first point: I am running ePub --> ePub multiple times, to get the eBook the way I like it. I guess Calibre doesn't know conversion has been run before, but it would be nice to not have the extra code appended multiple times. Perhaps a toggle switch here would be nice, eg update versus add.

As for the second, I understand why one would want to have Calibre be device independent, but it makes it hard to convert books to look nice on a particular device if you can't see how it will be interpreted. It might be nice to have a preference for Calibre that calls an external reader (eg Reader Library or Kobo software or whatever) for viewing so that you can see how it will look on your particular device.

Cheers,

Nike
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I have a vague memory that names/ids in <a> tags need to begin with an alpha character not a digit.
Thanks for this. I will check it out.

Nike
Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
It might be nice to have a preference for Calibre that calls an external reader (eg Reader Library or Kobo software or whatever) for viewing so that you can see how it will look on your particular device.
If you go to Preferences - Behavior you can choose to use calibre's internal viewer or to use any external viewer as specified by whatever is the default for the OS for a particular file type.

Alternatively you can use the Open With plugin to open a book with any specific viewer you wish.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you go to Preferences - Behavior you can choose to use calibre's internal viewer or to use any external viewer as specified by whatever is the default for the OS for a particular file type.

Alternatively you can use the Open With plugin to open a book with any specific viewer you wish.

I don't see anything in Preferences -- Behavior that will accomplish this. It seems to be more for setting priorities between formats. Am I missing something? I am on 7.50 Mac version of Calibre.

Thanks,

Nike
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't see anything in Preferences -- Behavior that will accomplish this. It seems to be more for setting priorities between formats. Am I missing something? I am on 7.50 Mac version of Calibre.
Two windows, the window on the left is the preferred input format order the window on the right is a window that says Use internal viewer for: if you uncheck using calibre's internal viewer for a particular format then calibre will use whatever your system default is to open that particular format.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-21-2011 at 04:22 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Two windows, the window on the left is the preferred input format order the window on the right is a window that says Use internal viewer for: if you uncheck using calibre's internal viewer for a particular format then calibre will use whatever your system default is to open that particular format.
Thank you. That cleared it up nicely.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go LRF > ePub and then edit the ePub instead of trying to convert it over and over. That's the best way to do it that will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote