Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
ivantheipodder
ivantheipodder began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-350
PDFs to ePub with OCR conversion?

Hello everyone, just joined MobileRead.

So I just got my 350 and I got a bunch of PDFs to transfer to the 350. The thing is you cannot highlight text in those PDFs, so I think I need some sort of OCR (quite noob at this, correct me if I am wrong) to 'extract' the real text in them and then use Calibre to convert those to ePub then to the 350.

I tried getting them over to the 350 without OCR (PDF directly to 350 in Calibre) and they are far too small for me to read on it. Plus the fonts are all photocopy-ish fonts, if that makes any sense.

What OCR apps would you recommend? I'm on Mac.

Thank you.
ivantheipodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The best one is FineReader, though it's a bit expensive. There's a trial version available.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
ivantheipodder
ivantheipodder began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-350
Thank you for the suggestion. But it's a bit on the expensive side. Any cheaper alternatives?
ivantheipodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Just google for "pdf ocr conversion free", there are many free tools to try out.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote