Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #1366
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
Released ScreenSavers v0.21.N, which *should* ensure compatibility with FW 5.6.x
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #1367
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Isn't it an official forum recommendation NOT to use rar?
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #1368
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz: It's also a forum requirement not to let me use decent compression algorithms/formats, and limiting uploads to 20MB, so, kind of stuck on that one .
Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #1369
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eschwartz: It's also a forum requirement not to let me use decent compression algorithms/formats, and limiting uploads to 20MB, so, kind of stuck on that one .
Huh, what about that.

Perhaps add a note somewhere about the need for programs which can unpack rar. I mean, the only reason zip gets used so much is because it is built into Windows. I would guess there will be people who don't know how to unpack it.

Like the way you warn people of the need for 7-zip/tar, in the snapshots thread.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #1370
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The legacy stuff has been using rar archives since pretty much the beginning, and I've hardly ever had anyone complaining about it, so I'm going to assume rar support is fairly ubiquitous, even in Windows-land .

(Hell, I remember stuff being shared as multi-part rar archives on freaking floppy disks ;D).
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #1371
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Isn't it an official forum recommendation NOT to use rar?
As far as I know, that was just me sounding off about not using licensed, for-fee archivers.

* The de-compressor(s) is(are) Open Source but some of the compression routines remain closed and licensed.

What we **should** do is get that list of acceptable filename extensions updated.
Lots of luck with that, I haven't heard from Alex for over a year.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #1372
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As far as I know, that was just me sounding off about not using licensed, for-fee archivers.

* The de-compressor(s) is(are) Open Source but some of the compression routines remain closed and licensed.
Good enough for me.
I meant the Kindle Developers Corner subforum.

Quote:
What we **should** do is get that list of acceptable filename extensions updated.
Lots of luck with that, I haven't heard from Alex for over a year.

Quote:
Valid file extensions: avi azw azw2 azw3 bat bin bmp bz2 doc enews epub gif gz hsc imp ipk ixl jar jpe jpeg jpg kml lit lrf mobi opf pdb pdf pl pm png prc psd rar rtf sdl site sxl tar txt xml xpi zip
The size is somewhat of an issue though -- for a set of archive formats, it is bizarre that ZIP and RAR have a 20 MB cap, GZ has a 15 MB cap, and BZ2 has a 5 MB cap!!!

Good luck contacting him. He has posted in response to the server migration, in the announcements subforum.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-25-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #1373
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, you got the gist of it . Only using it because I have to in this context .
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #1374
arad26
Zealot
arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.arad26 is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PW2
I have a PW2 and after the upgrade to the newest firmware i lost the Screensaver hack. The problem is i can't install it again, because when i eject the device the .bin file is deleted automatically . I tried not to eject the device and restart it , but it doesn't install it . How can i make it work ? Thank you
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #1375
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
I have a PW2 and after the upgrade to the newest firmware i lost the Screensaver hack. The problem is i can't install it again, because when i eject the device the .bin file is deleted automatically . I tried not to eject the device and restart it , but it doesn't install it . How can i make it work ? Thank you
You cannot. See the last few posts in the jailbreak thread.

tl;dr -- that upgrade is evil, it was warned aginst, and now you're screwed unless you know how to use a serial port.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #1376
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@arad26: Like @eschwartz, I'm assuming you're talking past tense, before the updated JailBreak came out.

In which case, yup, what he said .

On the other hand, if you are doing stuff in the right order, and you were running JB >= 1.13.N before updating, just update KUAL and use the MR Installer to update the SS hack.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch