Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #1411
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
How does your PW1 slow down? I didn't have any such problems with my PW1.
When I tap on a book, it takes about 5 seconds to open. Same goes with page turns and opening a collection; there's always a delay. I'm still not sure if I should purchase the PW2, I really love my PW1, it's perfect, the built-in light and everything, just this small thing. I might remove a couple of books from my device, I'll try to see if it helps.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #1412
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
When I tap on a book, it takes about 5 seconds to open. Same goes with page turns and opening a collection; there's always a delay. I'm still not sure if I should purchase the PW2, I really love my PW1, it's perfect, the built-in light and everything, just this small thing. I might remove a couple of books from my device, I'll try to see if it helps.
5 seconds to turn a page?
That's definitely longer than what I had on PW1.
PW2 certainly would be an improvement for you.
But I don't think, that's a common improvement.
I'd just say, your PW1 for whatever reason is uncommonly slow.
Easiest tip of course: Hard reset and re-downloading the entire library.

I'm not using side-loaded books on any of my readers anymore.
A few years back, I've stripped every single book from DRM, converted in all target formats imaginable and copied each book to every reader.
At some stage it simply became too time-consuming and annoying.
I'm using only a few readers anyway, so now I'm buying the book on my momentary favorite only.
Meaning: No side-loading, only original purchases on each respective reader.

Just a thought:
Is your reader slower on a mixture of Amazon and calibre-managed books?
In your place, I'd hard reset my PW1 and test with a handful of original books only. If it's faster then, I'd slowly download my library and re-check every 50 books or so.
If it's slow from the start, I don't quite get it.
5 seconds for a page turn definitely seems to long...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #1413
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
5 seconds to turn a page?
That's definitely longer than what I had on PW1.
PW2 certainly would be an improvement for you.
But I don't think, that's a common improvement.
I'd just say, your PW1 for whatever reason is uncommonly slow.
Easiest tip of course: Hard reset and re-downloading the entire library.

I'm not using side-loaded books on any of my readers anymore.
A few years back, I've stripped every single book from DRM, converted in all target formats imaginable and copied each book to every reader.
At some stage it simply became too time-consuming and annoying.
I'm using only a few readers anyway, so now I'm buying the book on my momentary favorite only.
Meaning: No side-loading, only original purchases on each respective reader.

Just a thought:
Is your reader slower on a mixture of Amazon and calibre-managed books?
In your place, I'd hard reset my PW1 and test with a handful of original books only. If it's faster then, I'd slowly download my library and re-check every 50 books or so.
If it's slow from the start, I don't quite get it.
5 seconds for a page turn definitely seems to long...
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Five seconds to open a book/collection. It takes about 3 seconds to turn a page and sometimes it lags on page turns and I'd have to tap twice on the side to go to the next page. This is the case with all books; books directly from Amazon and books side loaded with Calibre.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1414
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Five seconds to open a book/collection. It takes about 3 seconds to turn a page and sometimes it lags on page turns and I'd have to tap twice on the side to go to the next page. This is the case with all books; books directly from Amazon and books side loaded with Calibre.
Sometimes I have to tap twice as well. On both Paperwhites. I assume it's me, taping to cautiously or something like that.
But I haven't experienced anything close to 3 seconds for turning pages. I'd say, it's about 1 second, maybe slightly less. Noticable, a bit more than the blink of an eye.
But 3 seconds seems a lot.

My gut feeling: Opening a book for the first time seems to take a bit longer. After that, it's way less than 5 seconds as well. I'd say 2 seconds tops.
I've got about 700 Amazon books on both Paperwhites. Only text books, I'm reading the comics (Dilbert & Garfield) on the Fire HDs, same for the travel companions.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #1415
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Should be at the end of this year. But I'm also thinking about the Miix2 by Lenovo and the Acer W4-820 (not W3!). MS is being slow with announcing the Surface Mini...
Hmmmm...
Negative review of Dell Venue 8: http://mashable.com/2013/11/27/dell-...tablet-review/
Does Dell Venue 8 Pro sport different hardware?
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #1416
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It should... The Venue 8 is an Android device, and the Pro is a Win8.1 device... And I've read several reviews on the Pro, and none of those mention any of the problems that are listed for the Venue...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1417
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've upgraded a few days ago my Retina MacBook Pro to Mavericks and I regret it...
Did you do anything about it?
My MacBook Air's fan still is annoyingly constantly on.
I don't want to spend the time to revert from scratch.
But I don't want to go on like this either...
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #1418
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Did you do anything about it?
My MacBook Air's fan still is annoyingly constantly on.
I don't want to spend the time to revert from scratch.
But I don't want to go on like this either...
I haven't done anything. I don't think there's a solution or anything we can do other than wait for updates from Apple. Have you tried resetting the SMC? I read that doing so can fix the loud fan issue.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #1419
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I haven't done anything. I don't think there's a solution or anything we can do other than wait for updates from Apple. Have you tried resetting the SMC? I read that doing so can fix the loud fan issue.
I've tried resetting the SMC a few days ago for the third time or so.
Someone wrote, the explanation I had followed would be wrong (pressing the 4 keys and instantly releasing them, instead of holding them for 7 seconds. Then the light on the power cable would blink, which it did)..
It seems, the fan noise actually is lower than before.

But the stuttering, when streaming iTunes movies and shows from my Mac mini media server still is the same.
It's more than just stuttering, frequently the movie or shows stops entirely.
And the problems with activating some apps, especially iMail, are the same as before. Sometimes I can't even click the mail I want to read, even if there's no other application active. iMal simply stops reacting for 10 seconds or so...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1420
mgmueller
Member Retired

Another Windows 8 tablet / hybrid

http://www.sony.de/product/vn-tap-11...=eml-569291044
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #1421
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Looks nice! Sadly, also 11".... (at least, looking at the size of it and interpreting the name...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #1422
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Looks nice! Sadly, also 11".... (at least, looking at the size of it and interpreting the name...)
...and I've read a devastating review, harshly criticizing the build quality.
I can believe that, build quality of some Sony DVD players I've seen was a bit disturbing either...
But I like the i7 processor...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #1423
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Yesterday there was an update for Mavericks.
I have to test more intensively. But so far, my fan was off all the time. Let's hope for the best...
Old 12-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #1424
mgmueller
Member Retired

Dell Venue 8 Pro

Since I really like my Surface Pro 2 and Dell Latitude 10, I'm tempted to buy a 8" Windows 8 tablet.
Dell Venue 8 Pro seems the natural choice, as I'm not a fan of Lenovo and a bit skeptical about Toshiba and probably won't buy any Acer tablet.

But I'm not sure yet.
Based on http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/16/d...-8-pro-review/, it doesn't seem to have a Wacom pen.
Basically, I had hoped for an 8" version of Latitude 10.
But it seems less capable. No surprise, I guess, for a mere € 300.
Hmmmmmm....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #1425
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You don't think MS will do a Surface Mini?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test