Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Downloading the actual .MOBI file from Amazon.com without Whispernet?

It gives me two choices: I can read either in Cloud Reader / in the browser or via Whispernet on the Kindle device.

Is there a way to get the actual .MOBI file from the Cloud Reader without having to resort to Whispernet? It would be helpful. Heck, it's a public domain book for $0 I just want to see how it looks like.

I also managed to extract a $0 .MP3 from Amazon.com though it was not the most trivial issue.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm not really sure what you are asking... What device do you want to read the book on?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I only used the Cloud Reader for a few minutes before uninstalling it. I didn't care for it that much and prefer Kindle for PC when it comes to reading on a computer. So my memory of what the Cloud Reader can do and how it operates is not fresh on my mind by any means. But I think the Cloud Reader can only read via the "cloud" or what you are calling Whispernet. I don't think the Cloud Reader is set up to read from locally loaded/stored mobi/KF8 files. However, you can definitely download mobi/KF8 files to your computer with Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
It gives me two choices: I can read either in Cloud Reader / in the browser or via Whispernet on the Kindle device.
... and if you have a Kindle device... you should always have the ability to download the ebooks directly to your PC (for USB transfer to your device) from your Amazon account pages.

I thought I remembered hearing something about offline reading being possible with the Cloud Reader, but I've never had a need to use the Cloud Reader.

EDIT: Aha. Books downloaded for offline reading with the Cloud Reader are not even in any of the normal recognized mobi formats. They're stored in .db files.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I only used the Cloud Reader for a few minutes before uninstalling it. I didn't care for it that much and prefer Kindle for PC when it comes to reading on a computer. So my memory of what the Cloud Reader can do and how it operates is not fresh on my mind by any means. But I think the Cloud Reader can only read via the "cloud" or what you are calling Whispernet. I don't think the Cloud Reader is set up to read from locally loaded/stored mobi/KF8 files. However, you can definitely download mobi/KF8 files to your computer with Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac.
Thanks, that was helpful!
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert