Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #151
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I'm not sure "tablet optimisation" is about pixels, Mike. To me, it's definitely about screen sizes. As you perhaps know, Apple displays tablet apps in the same way on iPad 2 and iPad 3+, although the latter has double (or quadruple) the amount of pixels, and even though iPhone 5+ offers a width of 1136 pixels compared to only 1024 pixels on iPad 2. Despite that, iPad 2 requests a tablet version of an app, and iPhone 5+ requests a phone version of the same app from the App Store.
Trust me, it's all about pixels, Apple made the resolution exactly double (or quadruple) for the retina screen so the tablet apps look the same on both - and the mini has, again, exactly the same resolution as the iPad.

Again with the iPhone the screen resolution exactly doubled for the iPhone 4, then they changed the height causing lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst iPhone developers.

As android phones/tablets have vastly differing resolutions and form factors it gets trickier.

A 10-inch screen with a resolution of 1024x768 has no where near the screen real estate as Googles Nexus 10 (2560x1600) - just drop the resolution on your computer screen - same screen size but suddenly all the icons and menus are much bigger, giving less useable area.

Obviously this becomes much less of a problem when the screen is high resolution and the images can just be scaled.

Quote:
The boundaries between "phone" and "tablet" apps are a lot more blurred on Android, and I'm convinced this is intentional: because there are relatively few tablet-optimised Android apps compared to iOS.
Also, you can "get away" with upscaling phone apps on small 7- or 8-inch tablets; it's not as conspicuous as it is on 10-inch tablets.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #152
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Trust me, it's all about pixels
It's not, as the iPad 2 vs. iPhone 5+ example shows. It's about how you treat your available pixels, how you employ them relative to the available screen size.

This is especially true of font sizes. A screen width of 2560 pixels does not necessarily mean you can fit 2.5 times more text into it compared to a screen width of 1024 pixels -- because the resulting text would be too small to read comfortably on a 10-inch screen. On a 30-inch screen (which happens to be my main working monitor), things would be different again.

So, for distinguishing between tablet apps and phone apps, I'm convinced the main factor is the optimal utilisation of available screen size, rather than a simple pixel count.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #153
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It's not, as the iPad 2 vs. iPhone 5+ example shows. It's about how you treat your available pixels, how you employ them relative to the available screen size.

This is especially true of font sizes. A screen width of 2560 pixels does not necessarily mean you can fit 2.5 times more text into it compared to a screen width of 1024 pixels -- because the resulting text would be too small to read comfortably on a 10-inch screen. On a 30-inch screen (which happens to be my main working monitor), things would be different again.

So, for distinguishing between tablet apps and phone apps, I'm convinced the main factor is the optimal utilisation of available screen size, rather than a simple pixel count.
As an owner of an iPad 2 I certainly agree with you. The screen size is the dominate factor. Resolution permits a more subtle improvement in the display and the ability to make fonts so small you can't read them easily. Real estate is the primary consideration is screen arrangement and how much freedom you have to arrange stuff. For PDF reading a 10.9 inch screen is preferable to a 4" screen with the same or even better resolution.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #154
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Trust me, it's all about pixels, Apple made the resolution exactly double (or quadruple) for the retina screen so the tablet apps look the same on both - and the mini has, again, exactly the same resolution as the iPad.

Again with the iPhone the screen resolution exactly doubled for the iPhone 4, then they changed the height causing lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst iPhone developers.

As android phones/tablets have vastly differing resolutions and form factors it gets trickier.

A 10-inch screen with a resolution of 1024x768 has no where near the screen real estate as Googles Nexus 10 (2560x1600) - just drop the resolution on your computer screen - same screen size but suddenly all the icons and menus are much bigger, giving less useable area.

Obviously this becomes much less of a problem when the screen is high resolution and the images can just be scaled.
You are wrong. A 1280x800 and a 2560x1600 10" tablet would display the same content on Android. The difference is that the 2560x1600 tablet would have much sharper text and more detailed images, but the content would be identical. That's because both fall into the same bucket for layouts. What needs to be different, though, are the images, because they have different DPIs, so developers have to provide a few sets of images so they look sharp at all resolutions, rather than one set that gets blown up or scaled down.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #155
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
...iPads offer 4G connectivity, while Nexus does not (as far as I know)...
There is a 3G/LTE model of Nexus 7: https://play.google.com/store/device..._32gb_2013_lte
From what I've read, it sells pretty well (at least in Germany).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #156
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Even ignoring the OS differences, I'll always prefer the 4:3 screen ratio of iPads over the 16:9 ratio of the Android tablets.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #157
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Me as well; although the Nexus 7 is 10:16.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #158
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Even ignoring the OS differences, I'll always prefer the 4:3 screen ratio of iPads over the 16:9 ratio of the Android tablets.
Most Android tablets are 16:10, as far as I know there are no 16:9 Android tablets, though the 1024x600 come close. There are also 4:3 Android tablets.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #159
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well I think I'm "out" as a potential Apple customer. I really thought this was going to be the year that I finally got an iPad but I just can't get past the outright greed of Apple when it comes to memory prices. I was willing to accept the walled garden and I was willing to accept the mundane icons which don't display any worthwhile information and I was even willing to accept the "Apple way or no way" but in the end I just can't see myself paying $500 for a mere 16GB in almost 2014.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #160
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Depends on what you need to do with the tablet, Canuck. 16 GB is perfectly enough for certain needs (such as mine, and I'm not known as a "modest user"), given the availability of cloud software. Even if my iPad offered 128 GB of internal storage, I would prefer to use cloud software instead, for most purposes.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #161
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Depends on what you need to do with the tablet, Canuck. 16 GB is perfectly enough for certain needs (such as mine, and I'm not known as a "modest user"), given the availability of cloud software. Even if my iPad offered 128 GB of internal storage, I would prefer to use cloud software instead, for most purposes.
But the fact that someone only needs 16GB in no way excuses the greed Canuck was referring to. The $100 memory upgrade had half a reason to be in 2010 when the iPad was the only 10" tablet in town and memory prices were higher, but at the tail end on 2013 it's simply pure greed.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #162
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you don't mind carrying an additional device, the Kingston Wi-Drive provides additional storage for a lot less. I have a 64GB drive that cost well under $100 and is compatible with both Android and IOS. The drive is wireless and you can share content with up to 3 users.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #163
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Exactly ...Android or iOS; either one would work for me. Android wins because the devices are cheaper and have more features.
Unless you count "made for tablet apps" as features....which I do.

Still, to each his own.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #164
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The only app I have that is not tablet optimized is Dropbox. Dropbox should get on with the times and offer a tablet layout. All other apps I have installed have a tablet layout.
And it sucks, right? Even though it scales...it sucks. Evernote on my 10" Android is just as good as on my iPad. Why? Because it's not a phone app that scales up. It's built for tablets on android.

The number of such great tablet apps is FAR behind what the iPad has. The 1 million phones don't matter when speaking of tablets.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #165
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Most Android tablets are 16:10, as far as I know there are no 16:9 Android tablets, though the 1024x600 come close. There are also 4:3 Android tablets.
My mistake. I meant 16:10.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote