Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Exercising while reading

I'm considering buying an exercise bike, due to needing a body tune-up. I'd like to combine a couple of activities though, to give me some incentive to keep exercising, and reading is one of them.

For using an ereader a recumbent bike seems the best, for stability of position when not holding on to the bike, but an upright would be a lot cheaper. Does anyone here use an ereader on an upright or recumbent?

I could rig a monitor at eye level, and velcro a laptop mouse to the handle, to read books on my PC, but I don't fancy relying on Kindle for PC as the reading software.

Any, and all, thoughts would be appreciated.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
I see plenty of people at the gym on recumbent bikes reading books and magazines. It seems they're not getting much of a workout, but if you do it for long enough I'm sure the benefit is there. Some recumbent bikes I've seen have places where you can put a book, or a little plastic thing you can buy to put your book. I've never seen anybody on an upright bike reading, and it seems like it would be more difficult to do because of balance issues. Surely there must be some place you can go to test this out! Maybe you have a friend who can give you a gym pass or something?
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
Surely there must be some place you can go to test this out! Maybe you have a friend who can give you a gym pass or something?
You know, that never occurred to me.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Have you considered audiobooks? Bonus is that the earbuds block out a lot of the racket.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
we had a thread about this in the lounge awhile back. I've used my Kindle in an Oberon cover on the bike, eliptical and treadmill. it is relatively easy to balance them on the display
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I ride an upright bike at the gym, and read while doing it. There is a book shelf on the bikes, and the handlebars have elbow rests so you can lean forward in just the right position for both reading AND breathing.

One of the guys I know at the gym was giving me a hard time, saying I can't possibly be getting a workout like this. I showed him how, if I put my hands on the heart rate monitors, I'm right there in the top part of the desired range. With a book to keep me company, I could sit there with my heart in the target range for hours, without being at all unhappy.

I switched to an elliptical trainer for a while, because I thought it might improve my balance. I can't get my heart rate up and keep it up, over there, because I start to stumble after about ten minutes at that pace. Also, the book tray is farther away, and with my head bouncing like that I couldn't read a normal book. The e-reader has been a godsend there, because I can increase the font size to where I can see it well enough to read on the elliptical. But I still can't do it for hours without a second thought, like I can with the stationary bike.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have my JBL on a neck strap and can read while using my mini-elliptical.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Why buy a stationary bike when you can ride a real bicycle? The gym rats will disagree, but I find that riding a bicycle outside is way more fun than sitting like a hamster on a wheel in your spare room, kindle or no.

At any rate, you can buy a trainer for your regular bike, converting it into a stationary bike when the weather is bad. Enjoy the best of both worlds.

v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Why buy a stationary bike when you can ride a real bicycle? The gym rats will disagree, but I find that riding a bicycle outside is way more fun than sitting like a hamster on a wheel in your spare room, kindle or no.
Traffic. Safety. Time constraints.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Have you considered audiobooks? Bonus is that the earbuds block out a lot of the racket.
I'd be listening to a book, staring at a wall. Not the most alluring of scenarios. I could always wear a blindfold, but then I'd probably lose my balance and fall off the bike.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
I used to enjoy cycling (in the sunshine), many moons ago.

I don't watch tv, but I do spend a lot of time reading and/or on the 'net, and I think that being able to exercise while doing those things is more likely to encourage me to stick with it. Carting a real bike in from outside, and setting it up on a trainer, is something definitely guaranteed to lose me any desire for exercise.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I use a recumbent, and it's quite enjoyable to read while exercising. In the event that I want to surf the web or do somelight work or something, I set up the ironing rack right next to the recumbent. Maybe an inch or two too high, but a cheap, easy way to get a surface nearby. The thin legs also mean I can move the board really close to my seat.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I read while riding my recumbant bike 3-4/week in the winter and break a sweat (I also check the heart rate on my machine and am in the range I need to be). I find the 30 minutes go by very fast when I'm absorbed in a good book.

We had 33.5 inches of snow last month in my neighborhood so outdoor biking is out . Besides, then I'd have to pay attention! Haha.

In the summer I walk in the park and read with my reader. My local park has a one mile loop on a gravel path and I find it relatively easy to read and walk at the same time. I read The Long Walk by Stephen King last year which was very interesting to read while walking.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd second the earlier suggestion that you consider audiobooks instead. Far more practical in this situation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
I read while riding my recumbant bike 3-4/week in the winter and break a sweat (I also check the heart rate on my machine and am in the range I need to be). I find the 30 minutes go by very fast when I'm absorbed in a good book.

We had 33.5 inches of snow last month in my neighborhood so outdoor biking is out . Besides, then I'd have to pay attention! Haha.

In the summer I walk in the park and read with my reader. My local park has a one mile loop on a gravel path and I find it relatively easy to read and walk at the same time. I read The Long Walk by Stephen King last year which was very interesting to read while walking.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote