Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #31
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I had great difficulty getting my Silver reader. SonyJapan doesn't sell them in English. SonyUSA won't allow them to be shipped to Japan. I had to find a retailer in the US who would fly in the face of danger, violate dumping agree....errr.... Fair-Trade Agreements and mail one to me here. I had to special order the Silver model which took an extra 4 days waiting (horrible... I got the shakes,) but eventually received my order. It was worth the wait. Not only a Sony 505, but a SILVER Sony 505, which of course spells all the words correctly.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #32
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
On the other hand, I have thought about going silver, simply because I can walk down the street and buy it no problem for $269 every day, and then putting a skin on it like this:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,18971.htm

In that way I can pick, or change, the color at will. As for the ease of returning the silver locally, I intend to buy a colored one from walmart.com's website, have it shipped to my local store and pick up. If I don't like it I can just return it to the store. Whatever color I go with I can easily return it.
That's pretty neat!
Unfortunately I'm one of those people who are 'sticky stuff challenged.' I have enough trouble using Scotch Tape that even the thought of contact paper leaves me in a cold sweat. How difficult are these skins to apply.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #33
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I saw a youtube video of a girl putting one one. It was nothing at all. And there is no sticky residue left if you decide to remove it later. Seems really simple and well made.

About your silver one, is it that they don't sell the silver one in Japan or don't sell these units in ANY color there? Just wondered if you had a choice in another color but REALLY wanted silver.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I saw a youtube video of a girl putting one one. It was nothing at all. And there is no sticky residue left if you decide to remove it later. Seems really simple and well made.

About your silver one, is it that they don't sell the silver one in Japan or don't sell these units in ANY color there? Just wondered if you had a choice in another color but REALLY wanted silver.
I couldn't find them in the Sony stores, and when I contacted SonyJapan my poor command of the language left me believing that they simply didn't offer any model in English. I still don't know if they offer ANY model in Japan. I ran into the same difficulties when trying to get some Nikon software for my camera 10 years ago. NikonJapan said they didn't make it in English, and NikonUSA wouldn't allow the English version to be shipped to Japan. As it happens, I used the same retailer in the US to get both.

As for choice, yes, I did have a full choice of colors, with cover or without, AC adaptor, etc. from the US retailer, but I wanted Silver. I just prefer silver for my electronics. Colors don't seem to suit me, although I am quite taken with that woodgrain Decalgirl one. I might just order that if I scratch up the silver. I don't see that happening as I do have a nice hard leather cover for it, and a spare that I ordered when I read of the problems with the clips.

Does anyone ever have a problem with the screen getting scratched up?

Stitchawl
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #35
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I couldn't find them in the Sony stores, and when I contacted SonyJapan my poor command of the language left me believing that they simply didn't offer any model in English. I still don't know if they offer ANY model in Japan. I ran into the same difficulties when trying to get some Nikon software for my camera 10 years ago. NikonJapan said they didn't make it in English, and NikonUSA wouldn't allow the English version to be shipped to Japan. As it happens, I used the same retailer in the US to get both.

As for choice, yes, I did have a full choice of colors, with cover or without, AC adaptor, etc. from the US retailer, but I wanted Silver. I just prefer silver for my electronics. Colors don't seem to suit me, although I am quite taken with that woodgrain Decalgirl one. I might just order that if I scratch up the silver. I don't see that happening as I do have a nice hard leather cover for it, and a spare that I ordered when I read of the problems with the clips.

Does anyone ever have a problem with the screen getting scratched up?

Stitchawl
I nicked my screen when I dropped a lighter on it. I've also dropped the unit twice, which took a small chunk out of one corner and messed up the top and bottom silver parts. Still working great though!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #36
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
No screen scratches for me. That is the part I try to protect most. I have also dropped mine twice as well, once with the case and once without. The drop without the case was from about 4 feet and landed on the top near the sd card. Did a little damage but really have to be looking at that area to notice.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #37
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I didn't have a choice, I have a silver one. I think if I were to choose, I probably would pick a blue one, but I do like my silver. I think the contrast with blue would be nice, but I also like that it really feels like an entire page of a book. As someone mentioned, the silver kind of blends in with the page color.

I don't think you can go wrong, in any case! Books at your fingertips is an awesome ability, whatever the color!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
No screen scratches for me. That is the part I try to protect most. I have also dropped mine twice as well, once with the case and once without. The drop without the case was from about 4 feet and landed on the top near the sd card. Did a little damage but really have to be looking at that area to notice.
Grooks, I gotta ask, seeing you have the 505 and Ipod Touch. I am in a tough boat. Besides trying to decide on the color of a 505 I also have to decide between a Touch and a 505. I know they serve different functions, and I really want both but can't afford both, but which do you find you use most and could not live without, AND how is the Touch for short 30-60 minutes book reading?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #39
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Mrgauth, I also have an iPod touch and a 505. My 505 gets 40 times more usage than the iPod. I haven't tried to read on it though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #40
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
In the UK Red ones are rarer, and therefore obviously better Although the blue ones are unavailable, so I guess technically they are rarer. Everyone I see on the train has the standard Waterstones silver issue.

You should actually buy three - use the Silver one for SciFi, the Blue one for nautical stories, and the Red one for everything else.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Isn't anyone interested in returning to cuneiform pressed into nice brown clay tablets?

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #42
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
My kids gave me the blue one as a Christmas present. That is the color I would have chosen anyway. Since they had it engraved the contrast between the engraving and the blue is really nice. I dropped it once and got a scratch along the side where the number buttons are but a little of work with a dark blue permanent marker made the scratch almost disappear.

My sister in law has a red one which is also very sharp looking and would have been my second choice.

I've seen the silver one at a few places (Target, Sam's Club, Fry's) and it is my least favorite color.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #43
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Isn't anyone interested in returning to cuneiform pressed into nice brown clay tablets?

Stitchawl
Nah. Don't have the shelf space for them anymore.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #44
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Grooks, I gotta ask, seeing you have the 505 and Ipod Touch. I am in a tough boat. Besides trying to decide on the color of a 505 I also have to decide between a Touch and a 505. I know they serve different functions, and I really want both but can't afford both, but which do you find you use most and could not live without, AND how is the Touch for short 30-60 minutes book reading?
I have not tried reading ebooks on my Touch yet. I had received the Reader before getting the Touch and could not imaging reading ebooks without the 505. I may try to read a few short books on the Touch but don't think it will be used for that purpose very much.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #45
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I have both the iPod Touch and the Sony 505 (silver, a present, I probably would have picked blue if it was available).

The Touch is recent, so I haven't read much on it, but because it is lcd, it is much brighter than the 505, and so quite readable. The problem with it is battery life - it only lasts 4 hours or so before a recharge, while the Sony lasts a week or more. You can also read in bed without a separate light.

Some of the skins on decalgirl.com are terrific. I like Apocalypse Blue and B&W Fleur. But I always have the cover on my Sony, so the bset part of the decal wouldn't be seen.

Has anyone tried to remove than reuse a skin? Does this work?
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote