Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Recently purchased a PRS-505? What are your thoughts on the new PRS-700?

Hi All,

With Sony finally having/going to releas the PRS-505 in various parts of Europe, I was wondering how you feel about the new PRS-700? Especially if you have recently purchased the PRS-505.

I'm guessing there are new customers out there who will be surprised and disappointed to hear of the PRS-700 so soon after the launch of the PRS-505 (Europe).

I've had my new PRS-505 for 3 weeks now (very happy with it) and I'm excited by the news of the new model. Then again at the time of purchasing the 505 I knew that it had already been on the market in the US for quite some time.

What are your thoughts?
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Not too impressed
I'd rather have a bigger screen
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
npoizot
Connoisseur
npoizot doesn't litternpoizot doesn't litter

Device: prs505
I bought the prs505 like you since 3 weeks.
It's a good product... If i find a rebuyer in France, i'll order the prs700 to test the different new options. Maybe with the virtual keyboard, it will be possible to use a dictionnary...
npoizot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Same situation here. Actually bought to 505s a few weeks ago. One for my mom and one for myself to replace a broken unit. I am not terribly upset, though I know that at least for my mom, the 700 might have been more useful (due to its front-light and bigger font size support).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Seems like a good product but it misses 2 page turn buttons on the middle right.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
temp18
temp18 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I bought a 505 around 3 months ago.

Not disappointed, nothing new that I would use in the PRS-700 and all the important features I was looking for are still the same.

Assuming my 505 doesn't come to an unnatural end, then I'll wait a year or so and look at what's on the market.
temp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Must admit, if I had the choice I'd probably have gone for the 700 for the light, but overall I'm perfectly happy with my weeks old 505
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
Opalstar
Opalstar began at the beginning.

Well, I am not happy with the news of an updated model, just after the 'release' in the uk of the prs 505.
I am in the uk, and decided to buy what will be my first ereader, after all the good press the prs 505 received. I ordered my prs 505 this week, and am still waiting for it to arrive. To now read of this newer prs 700, makes me worry that I will be getting a model that sony will no longer support.
To be honest, I feel I have been conned, and have just written to sony about this matter.
Opalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
My only thought since I also just purchased two 505's is you have to hand it to Sony Marketing. Most of us(or maybe just me) assumed that with the Firmware update, Red 505, and recent releases in Europe that we would be safe to buy a 505 without fear of a new Model so soon. I was betting after the first of the year at least. But no 32 days after I buy WHAM!! New Model so sorry outside of our Return Policy but we will gladly take another 400 bucks from you for the new one. But overall I think I am happy with my purchase. Nothing earth shattering about the 700 to warrant an upgrade.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I'd be annoyed if it had any extra features I was that bothered about. But as it does not I'm happy with my 505. In fact given the choice of the two, and taking the price into account I'd probably still go with the 505 if both were available.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
I bought a 505 about 3 weeks ago, consciously knowing about 'some sort of announcement' on Oct 2nd. I have to say I have zero regrets about getting the 505, from what I've seen so far about the 700 - though the timing of the release in the UK should have been better coordinated... (I'll bet Waterstones are fuming).
The new features don't really add anything for me, and I do use the page turn buttons on the right an awful lot... Also I'd be worried about what having a touch-screen will do to the battery life.

I think now Sony really needs to focus on ensuring there's sufficient content for the device - which probably means 'sorting out' things with Amazon, who really should know better than to lock their e-books into their own device.. They're a bookseller (and other-stuff-seller), and should be remembering to focus on their core market...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalstar View Post
To be honest, I feel I have been conned, and have just written to sony about this matter.
Honestly... you shouldn't feel conned. No one forced you to buy this. You made a decision based on what the device had at the time. Also, do you feel conned when Dell releases a faster PC or Nokia releases a new model of the phone you have or Nikon releases a new model of the camera you have? You knew it would happen.

This is just the reality of technology. Also, the reality of business is that you don't pre-announce new versions/models because you will loose sales.

Sounds like typical buyers remorse.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Opalstar
Opalstar began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Honestly... you shouldn't feel conned. No one forced you to buy this. You made a decision based on what the device had at the time. Also, do you feel conned when Dell releases a faster PC or Nokia releases a new model of the phone you have or Nikon releases a new model of the camera you have? You knew it would happen.

This is just the reality of technology. Also, the reality of business is that you don't pre-announce new versions/models because you will loose sales.

Sounds like typical buyers remorse.

BOb
I get your point Bob, but in the Uk the PRS 505 has been marketed and launched on 4th September 08 as 'new'. Less than a month on Sony announce the PRS 700.
Being a new gadget fan, when I buy a phone/ 360/ps3/DS etc, I of course expect and desire them to be improved and newer models to be available. But not in less than a month after Sony uk and the British press have been telling us all here how wonderful the 'new' PRS 505 is. A year on maybe, and I would expect a new model. I know that in the USA, it has been a year, so for that customer base it will be good news.
Just makes me wonder if the 505 will continue to be marketed and supported, or are we in the uk being encouraged to buy 'old' stock.
All that said, I am sure I will really enjoy using the 505 when the postman finally delivers it to me.
Opalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
honestly, i want a bigger screen or maybe significantly better contrast to feel a need to upgrade. I'd rather have an LE Red 505 than the 700 at this point.. the Red is so pretty!! I'm almost tempted to ebay/craigslist my silver for a red, but I'd probably have to take like a ~100$ loss.. still thinking.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I, like many of you, just bought a 505 a little over a month ago. Also like many of you, I was relatively confident in thinking that Sony wasn't going to release a new model since they have been promoting the heck out of the 505.

However, I'm not at all disappointed with my 505 purchase (quite the contrary), and after reading about the 700, I'm not going to be upgrading.

Here are my concerns about the 700 (and keep in mind, some of these things are difficult to speculate on, given that I haven't actually had the chance to see/try a 700 in person):

1. What is the integrated frontlight going to do to battery life? As it stands, I have the 505 with the integrated cover/lightwedge, I'm very happy with it's performance, and it doesn't effect the battery life of my reader. And I can't wait to hear someone's real world test of the light...one review already claims it's not bright enough for reading in total darkness, which I do a lot.

2. The missing page turn buttons on the right. The way I'm used to holding my reader has me turning the pages almost exclusively with the right side buttons. They're perfectly placed under my thumb, and it looks as though utilizing the 2nd and 3rd buttons from the left on the bottom of the 700 would be awkward for me. But it has a touchscreen, you say....see my next point.

3. The touchscreen. I don't really see the utility of this (speaking only for myself, you understand). Pressing a few buttons isn't the bane of my existence. And as I've mentioned in other threads, the performance of PlasticLogic's eInk touchscreen makes me nervous, and I hope Sony has improved upon it...it looked a little flaky (slow to respond, not very sensitive). Also, I know that my touchscreen would look like heck very soon after purchase...smudgy, dirty, scratched, etc.

4. The aesthetic. I'm an equal opportunity criticizer...some of you may remember my thoughts on the Kindle. Well, I don't think the 700 is as bad as the Kindle, but I don't love it..and I'm usually a big fan of Sony's designs. To me, it looks like a step backward...and what's with those crazy textured lines along the left hand side? Just odd looking, I think.

5. The added features. While some folks will get a lot of use out of things like search, annotating, and highlighting, I wouldn't really utilize those features...even if the 505 had them. So for me, they aren't a selling point.

6. The price. I do think that for a first time reader buyer, the 700 might be a wise choice at the price point Sony has chosen. However, as someone who would be upgrading, I simply can't justify the $100 increase for what amounts to (for me, anyway) just an integrated light.

So I'll continue to love all over my 505, at least until something substantively better comes along!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote