Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
QuantamPulse
QuantamPulse began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Problem with BookDesigner Trying to Access the Web

I have ben using BookDesigner for a while now and never saw this until I started using Kaspersky Internet Security instead of MS OneCare.

Every time I start BookDesigner, Kaspersky alerts me that the software is trying to access the Internet with hidden data sending. It also show this several times during the course of converting a book, specifically when I press a few keys on the designer editor window.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Edit : Now it actually tries to access the internet EVERY time I click on any button. Really starting to get weary of what this is attempting to do.

Last edited by QuantamPulse; 09-01-2008 at 12:34 PM.
QuantamPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that if there are active links in the ebook then BD tries to connect to the internet. So if you add a link to a creative comons licence etc, then BD tries to make it active.
It's basically harmless. I've used BD every day for about 15 months with no trouble.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
QuantamPulse

I thought that at first, but it also tries to send data when first launching the software before ever adding any links or anything.

Does anyone know of a clean link to download BookDesigner? I think I want to get rid of the copy I have and download another one just to make sure I have a clean copy.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantamPulse View Post
I thought that at first, but it also tries to send data when first launching the software before ever adding any links or anything.

Does anyone know of a clean link to download BookDesigner? I think I want to get rid of the copy I have and download another one just to make sure I have a clean copy.
Here is the link to the thread on Book Designer and the two attachments you'll need to use in order to install it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

You will also need the Book Cleaner files. Without, you'll not be able to make proper eBooks as you'll have errors that Book Cleaner fixes.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Strange. I set up a monitor for the last book I converted using BookDesigner and there was no reported traffic from the application to any point outside my computer. There were the normal disk access requests but nothing with an IP address associated either directly or by name. (There were also no direct links in the text.) In the past I have used BD on a stand alone machine that had no connection and there were no performance issues.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I quite frequently use BD when offline. Also when online. I have noticed that hyperlinks become active when I'm online.

It also occurs to me that perhaps the Book Browser or Book Finder have been activated. Book Designer includes these elements (which I haven't used.)
The help menu says of Book Browser:

"BookBrowser is a conventional Internet navigator with some features simplifying the internet book search. BookBrowser includes a wide list of internet libraries and search engines. Executable file - BookBrowser.exe."
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
QuantamPulse

Well I deleted everything and installed the apps from the downloads here on the forum to a new directory. kaspersky still picks up the program as sending hidden data.

Since no one else has had any problems, I am just going to set it to block the connection without notification since it doesn't seem to have any effect on the program.

Also I checked and it is definitely coming from BookDesigner.exe and not BookBrowser.exe