Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
[Old Thread] DOI Numbers

Does anyone know whether Calibre, or anything else, can search DOI databases to recover metadata for academic articles like it does for ISBNs? DOI (Digital Object Identifier) is widely used in academic journals).

Thanks in advance.
TGS
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Maybe Endnote?
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
sorry to resurrect this old post, but I have searched high adn low and cannot find an answer.

I wonder whether Calibre is capable of retrieving teh metadata for journal articles. For these you do not have an ISBN, but (as explaiend in the opening message) a DOI. I tried to insert the DOI in the ISBN field in the metadata window of Calibre, but alas it immediately turns red, presumably because the format is rather different. E.g. for the one paper I was trying to edit metadata for the doi is 10.1207/S15327965PLI1403&4_20

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The normal metadata download plugins, at least those included in my install, only search sources for ordinary books. You'd need to create your own metadata download plugin for that, I believe.
Also, the ISBN field turns red when you enter anything that is not a valid ISBN. I don't think that it refuses to save the value, though, so you should still be able to enter and save the DOI in that field- however, don't expect any results using the normal metadata download plugins- see above. If you were to create your own plugin, a custom column for the DOI might be a good idea for the sake of being tidy.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

manichean, thanks for your pompt answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The normal metadata download plugins, at least those included in my install, only search sources for ordinary books. You'd need to create your own metadata download plugin for that, I believe.
well, far beyond what I am able to do

never mind, will keep entering data by hand (although, dealing with dates also is cumbersome, as for Journals you only have the year of publication - sometimes the month, so no way to enter the date using the standard format, either).

Thanks anyway!
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

There's a thread for plugin ideas over at the plugins forum. Maybe someone is interested in this too or just plain helpful.

Edited to add: There are tweaks available to control how Calibre displays and interprets the dates. The tweaks are gui_pubdate_display_format and gui_timestamp_display_format. To change the setting, go to preferences->advanced->tweaks, select the tweak you want to change in the upper text field, paste it down to the lower and change to your liking. Documentation is prepended to each tweak. Remember to restart for the settings to take effect.

Last edited by Manichean; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
There's a thread for plugin ideas over at the plugins forum. Maybe someone is interested in this too or just plain helpful.

Edited to add: There are tweaks available to control how Calibre displays and interprets the dates. The tweaks are gui_pubdate_display_format and gui_timestamp_display_format. To change the setting, go to preferences->advanced->tweaks, select the tweak you want to change in the upper text field, paste it down to the lower and change to your liking. Documentation is prepended to each tweak. Remember to restart for the settings to take effect.
karma and thanks a million, I'll have a good look!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

You're welcome, glad to help.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
livia
livia began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Sorry for resurrecting this post... I would be grateful to anyone who could redirect me to the correct and updated thread.
I searched for long but I couldn't find anyone who implemented a plugin like this (just a lot of requests), am I right?
The only (partial) solution I found is to add a custom field to store DOI.

I would like a plugin which would download metadata for acadamic papers, and possibly another plugin to export citations.

The metadata could be downloaded given DOI values.
Another approach, used by Mendeley, would be to search Google Scholar given the paper title.

Actually I don't care if this process is run by the "download metadata" button in Calibre, an external program which could edit pdf metadata prior to importing them to Calibre would be ok as well. I found this discussion about that
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...esearch-papers , but I haven't tried any solution yet.

Thank you for any suggestion!
livia is offline   Reply With Quote