Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Azhad
Azhad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, Milestone, Galaxy Tab
PRS-505 So slow that I want to kill myself

After adding some of my ebook to the reader (most of them in lrf format), and disconneting the unit, it needed 30 minutes to digest the library.
And now going to the menu from a book, adding a bookmark or opening a new book take a minimum of one minute.
Everytime I charge the unit with usb it need another 30 minutes to start working.
And I added only 1989 books, just a small fraction of my library, I hoped to be able to use a memory stick 8g and an sd 2g and filling it all, but I'm worried of the slugginess it will add.

But I have to say, its still better then the PRS-500, it was slower with only 400 or so books.
Azhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Suicide does seem a rather drastic option.

Why not experiment with a soft or hard reset or even removing some books? I store most of mine on the computer and just keep about 30 current favourites on the Reader. And I still have the will to live.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhad View Post
And I added only 1989 books, just a small fraction of my library...

Did you add them using Sony's software, or just toss them on to the USB card?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Azhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Suicide does seem a rather drastic option.

Why not experiment with a soft or hard reset or even removing some books? I store most of mine on the computer and just keep about 30 current favourites on the Reader. And I still have the will to live.

It's just that I wanted to bring my entire library in my pocket, I will soon depart for a year long photograpic job, deep in the jungle nearly without human contact for the whole time, I need my books to be able to remain sane
The reset don't work, it's just that the library database is more than 40mb and the prs-505 can't cope with it
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Azhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Did you add them using Sony's software, or just toss them on to the USB card?
With the sony software, I don't want to thing how much worse it will be in the other way...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
The reset don't work, it's just that the library database is more than 40mb and the prs-505 can't cope with it
I think that you've correctly diagnosed the problem.

The solution is to chose favourites up to 40mb, or to learn extreme patience.

Honestly, how many books are you likely to read per year? (- particularly in adverse conditions when you will have a lot of other things to do.)

Could you include some books worth re-rreading?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's just that I wanted to bring my entire library in my pocket, I will soon depart for a year long photograpic job, deep in the jungle nearly without human contact for the whole time, I need my books to be able to remain sane
Even if you could read a book a day, you'd only need 365 books for a year. Couldn't you be a little more "selective" in your choice of books?

Since you're going on a photographic trip, won't you have a laptop with you to view and process your pictures? Why not keep the books on that, and just put what you're reading on the Reader?

I have to agree with Patricia, though, that suicide is a slight overreaction. Probably better to reduce the number of books on your Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thank you for this information. I think you have very effectively warned me away from putting more than a couple hundred books on a Reader. I have nearly 300 on mine now and though it feels good knowing I have them with me all the time, it really is pointless to do so even though I refer to several of them often. Carrying an entire library on one is just not what it was designed for.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What is slow... the menu of books? Or, actually reading a single book?

I wonder if you make a bunch of collections it might work a bit better. This way, the reader only needs to load a list of collections rather than a list of thousands of books.

Did you call Sony about this? Seems like a bug to me... they should be doing some type of paged access rather than reading the whole list every time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
One other thought--Get a few small, very cheap SD cards and put a portion of your collection on each, perhaps in categories. You can probably get 256 or 512 MB cards practically free (or literally, if you know people who've upgraded to larger cards). That can speed things up, perhaps.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
One other thought--Get a few small, very cheap SD cards and put a portion of your collection on each, perhaps in categories. You can probably get 256 or 512 MB cards practically free (or literally, if you know people who've upgraded to larger cards). That can speed things up, perhaps.
I'd suggest that too. You can still find 64MB cards on the internet for less than two bucks each and there are slide organizers that you can store SDs in. With about 20 cards you can have a pretty hefty library.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I'd suggest that too. You can still find 64MB cards on the internet for less than two bucks each and there are slide organizers that you can store SDs in. With about 20 cards you can have a pretty hefty library.
Yep....cheap cards out there now.....I just picked up two 2GB SD cards for $10....TOTAL at ecost.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Thank you for this information. I think you have very effectively warned me away from putting more than a couple hundred books on a Reader. I have nearly 300 on mine now and though it feels good knowing I have them with me all the time, it really is pointless to do so even though I refer to several of them often. Carrying an entire library on one is just not what it was designed for.
I have about 800 books on my reader and so far it loads just fine. Don't get me wrong it took awhile for it to process my library on my SD card but once it got going it works fine now.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
FuzzyGamer
FuzzyGamer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, that could be it: do you have the books on the reader or on a card? 800 books on a card seems to work fine for Amothea, maybe it's just an issue with loading a large number of books into internal memory?
FuzzyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #15
Azhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGamer View Post
Well, that could be it: do you have the books on the reader or on a card? 800 books on a card seems to work fine for Amothea, maybe it's just an issue with loading a large number of books into internal memory?
They are on the card, and I also got a fast one toob
Maybe I will have to get a bunch of 512mb cards and split up my library.
But surely its a disappoint, I was looking for 10gb of books all online in my pocket, I'm too compulsive to choose in advance what I want to read

But what I found out looking in the card itself is this:
The reader ditched the library created by the connect reader, the 42mb one, and created another one of only 7mb (after resetting itself 3 or 4 times).
This happened also on my brother's reader.
Really strange.