Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Asustek to launch e-book reader under Eee family

Another information about the Asus ebook reader.

Quote:
Asustek Computer plans to launch an e-book reader under its Eee brand by the end of 2009 at the earliest, according to company president Jerry Shen.

Meanwhile, Micro-Star International (MSI) is also evaluating the e-book reader market, according to industry sources.

The sources pointed out that the requirements for entering the e-book reader market are even lower than for netbooks, but the key to success lies in establishing a content delivery platform.

Currently, demand for e-book readers is mainly concentrated in North America and Europe, with penetration in Asia markets low due to differences in reading habits, the sources noted.

The sources said they are conservative about the business potential e-book readers can bring to Taiwan's PC vendors and content publishers.
Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090827PD211.html
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Interesting. I'd like to see what Asus or MSI come up with, or if they just launch clones of other devices. And just a warning for everyone: don't bother clicking the link--the entire article is quoted above.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Differences in reading habits

Perhaps that's why I love to hate my ebook reader...I have adopted a different reading habit!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Asus was instrumental in launching the netbook phenom, perhaps they can capitalize that experience in the eReader market. It's evident that the margins in readers are huge. The hardware/firmware is minimal, yet prices approach those of full fledged netbooks.

Several years ago I bought a 10 inch Sony “mini notebook” for $2,000. Today a more powerful Asus eeePC 1000* costs $300! I think a 600% price reduction for eReaders would price them at just about where they should be.

I don’t blame the end product manufacturers totally for this; I think the obscene profits cross the whole spectrum of suppliers. For instance what is it about eInk screens that make them worth $90 wholesale?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I don’t blame the end product manufacturers totally for this; I think the obscene profits cross the whole spectrum of suppliers. For instance what is it about eInk screens that make them worth $90 wholesale?
Gotta capitalize on it before it's obsolesced. With the market getting more saturated, perhaps some innovation in some way will be driven...of course, I suspect the next big thing after wifi will be FM radio and perhaps a built-in webcam so you can take 4-bit grayscale videos at 1fps
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
The Asians are going to destroy whatever profit margins Amazon enjoys with their Kindle. And from what I understand, Amazon loses money on their ebook bestsellers. As the shift to open standards gathers momentum, and the Chinese, etc, manufacturers enter the fray, I wonder how long before Amazon pulls the pull on their hardware experiment?

Competing against the Asians at the low-end, and Apple (assuming) at the high-end, is going to bury Amazon's relatively small R&D department. I just don't see it enduring...
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
According to tomshardware it'll be named the "Eee-Book Reader".
I just read about it today..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
The Asians are going to destroy whatever profit margins Amazon enjoys with their Kindle. And from what I understand, Amazon loses money on their ebook bestsellers. As the shift to open standards gathers momentum, and the Chinese, etc, manufacturers enter the fray, I wonder how long before Amazon pulls the pull on their hardware experiment?

Competing against the Asians at the low-end, and Apple (assuming) at the high-end, is going to bury Amazon's relatively small R&D department. I just don't see it enduring...
The Kindle is made in China.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
If you see Pixel Qi's home page it says.....

"The screens will be available for mini-laptops and ebook readers in high volume mass production in late-2009"

Will this reader be the first one?
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
The Kindle is made in China.
Um, duh? Foxconn, I believe...

To be consistent, you should have added "and so are Apple products. "

The point was, that the Chinese are putting their own names on the various devices. And that the Chinese don't have the same margin concerns, and do have the manufacturing and design capabilities--all in house.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote