Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Whenever someone wants a fantasy recommendation, I alsways have to mention the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The way to read this is in published order.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/

This is one of the best series ever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
You may wish to check out the "Chronicles of Hawklan" series (and its sequels) by Roger Taylor - 12 great (imho) fantasy novels, which I have re-read many times. My personal favourite is "Dreamfinder", an independant novel in the Hawklan universe, although it helps to have read the initial four first.

$4.99/$4.24 each at Fictionwise, and no drm!

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
George R R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice
If you loved the Farseer Trilogy as much as I did then you'll LOVE this series as well.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whenever someone wants a fantasy recommendation, I alsways have to mention the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The way to read this is in published order.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/

This is one of the best series ever.
IMNSHO - the best series ever. If I had to give up all books and live with only one series to read & re-read I would pick Discworld.
Wait - I do read & re-read it now!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Add another vote for Discworld, well worth reading if you haven't.

Another author I would highly recommend is Trudi Canavan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trudi_Canavan) for Black Magician and Age of the Five Trilogies.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
@Shadowplay

Let me recommend you the "Mistborn" trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson. Or you can read first his stand alone fantasy novel "Elantris".

Another excelent fantasy classic is the "Magician", by Raymond Feist. I think it's over 20 years old, but it's really good.

George R. R. Martin you must certainly know about by now. Try his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, if you didn't already.

I'm right now reading the second book in the First Law trilogy of Joe Abercrombie. I like his style and sense of humor (although it's not a comedy or anything like that).

But if I could force you to read a book, I would choose the Raymond Feist's mentioned above.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
You might try:
Jane Lindskold,
Emma Bull,
Ellizabeth Bear,
D.P. Francis,
Carrie Vaughn,
Jo Graham, "The Black Ships", (highly recommended)

These are from my recent reading log, with good track records. The first three have free samples out in various places on Teh IntarWeebs. Bull & Bear are also collaborators on "Shadow Unit". http://shadowunit.org/index.html

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #23
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
You might want to go and have look at this site:

http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

I bet you find something interesting there, unless you've read em all
From the ones i've read on that list i've enjoyed the Death Gate series from Weis and Hickman the most, i think.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I recently read the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, and can readily recommend it. The first book, The Final Empire was one of Tor's freebies last year. The second and third, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages are available in eBook editions. These are not light-weight books. The paper editions are 672, 592, and 784 pages respectively.

I *did* enjoy the Paksenarrion trilogy. I have The Legacy of Gird, an omnibus of the two prequel novels, on my TBR stack, and Moon will be publishing a new trilogy which follows the final book in the Paksenarrion trilogy. The first book, Oath of Fealty, is due out in early 2010.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Earlier, very similar thread with lots of recommendations - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...eddings&page=2

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #26
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i love song of fire and ice - and it sure isn't fluff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
George R R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice
If you loved the Farseer Trilogy as much as I did then you'll LOVE this series as well.
also check out michelle west's sun sword series - and include the hunter books with that. unlike her books written as michelle sagara, this is epic stuff that doesn't hang on romance. when i first read the sun sword, i wasn't sure if i liked it because it took a while to digest. years later, and several re-reads through the entire series, it's among my favorites. in fact, i pre-ordered as hardback The Hidden City: The House Wars: Book One (part of the same universe but back a few years) just to support the author as it was her first hardback publication.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #27
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Surprisingly, this hasn't been mentioned yet.

DragonLance series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. An excellent series. Two main trilogies, one which later was added to, plus a multitude of sextets and other trilogies and short stories revolving around the world, other heroes, and histories.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #28
alicia87
alicia87 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
I'll just have to say that if you liked Robin Hobb, then you should love Jennifer Fallon. She has a number of series with lovable characters. It's one of those books that you sslloooowww the reading down so the book will last longer.
alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #29
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Oh and something else real quick - I've heard great things about Joe Abercrombie, but I can't find eBooks for his work. Am I not looking in the right place?
His First Law series is very very good IMO. The while thing does seem to be out in e-book format in the UK, not sure about the US.
Waterstone's do it in ePub, perhaps other formats elsewhere?

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...2&pageNumber=0
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Things I'd suggest which don't seem to've come up yet (not sure of ebook status though):

Jack Vance _The Lyonesse Trilogy_ (Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, Madouc)

Susan Cooper _The Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy (Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; Silver on the Tree)

Steven Brust, Taltos and Dragaera books (in publication order, maybe)

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote