Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
goldwater666
goldwater666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
New to the 505 - just want to read!

Hi everyone - sorry for such a "newbie" question, got a Sony 505 for Christmas 2008 and want to download any Robert B Parker books.

Found some at Fictionwise but I am unsure what format to download in. I get the options of -

Secure eReader
Secure Mobipocket
Secure Microsoft reader

My question(s) - are ant of these formats any use to me and my 505?
Does it make any difference me bring in the UK?

goldwater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
There are some Rober B Parker books in the Sony eBook store. They should certainly work with the PRS. But they're surprisingly expensive. There are a few on ebookmall.com in PDF format, but the PRS handling of PDF is not always that wonderful.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If you are comfortable with the idea of stripping DRM from purchased ebooks, get the secure Microsoft Reader books and convert them to a format the 505 can use.

First, download, install and activate MS Reader. This will allow you to purchase and view MS reader ebooks on your PC.

Do a google search for "ConvertLIT GUI". Hint: Use the downconvert option... (can't be more specific here sorry.)

Download and install Calibre.
Import your downconverted lit file into calibre then hit the convert ebook button. Change conversion settings as desired (font size, margins etc).

With your PRS-505 connected, click "Send to Device" button. Your purchased book is now on your Reader.

Once you have the process set up once, subsequent book purchase will take just a minute or two at most to get on your reader.
In fact, once convertLIT GUI is setup properly, you should be able to right click on the secure lit file in windows explorer and select downconvert without even opening the program.

PS: I recommend trying the free Secure MS Reader book that Fictionwise offers first, to make sure that you get the process working, that way if you can't get it all working, you won't have wasted any money...

Last edited by sherman; 02-26-2009 at 06:30 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
New to the 505 - just want to read!
You'll soon realise that sourcing and converting books is far more interesting than just reading them

I was where you are three weeks ago. This forum has all the details you need, but a quick summary of what I have learnt and tried: buy Microsoft Reader files -> use ConvertLIT to remove DRM -> use Calibre for conversion -> use either Calibre or Sony software to get the books to your device. It's actually much simpler than it sounds (two or three minutes tops), and I have to flick between a Mac and an emulated PC (the best sort) to complete it so should be much faster for a native PC user.

Good luck!

AMJB

Last edited by amjbrown; 02-26-2009 at 06:30 AM.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Oh, and I am in the UK too - we seem to be able to use FictionWise, eBooks.com, Books On Board etc. Everything in short except the Sony store! And Waterstones is OK - a little bit more expensive, and some of the senior contributers will frown at you accepting un-strippable DRM!!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
goldwater666

Thank you all for your replies

Looks like I need to get "familiar" with a few other programs

Funny really, when i did some research before going for the Sony EVERYWHERE seemed to sell ebooks and there is no mention of "formats" until you get to the checkout

Is it true we cannot download from Sony USA?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwater666 View Post
Thank you all for your replies

Looks like I need to get "familiar" with a few other programs

Funny really, when i did some research before going for the Sony EVERYWHERE seemed to sell ebooks and there is no mention of "formats" until you get to the checkout

Is it true we cannot download from Sony USA?
It's true, unless you can get a credit card with a US based billing address, or have someone send you ebookstore gift certificate. But I think Borders is rolling out a UK ebookstore soon, which should be good.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwater666 View Post
Found some at Fictionwise but I am unsure what format to download in.
Standardizing on LIT is a well proven strategy that I recommend, but an alternative is to buy Adobe ePub from Books on Board. These are readable "as is" on the PRS-505, and now that Adobe DRM has been circumvented you are not locked into devices that support Adobe in the future. Older ebooks won't be available in ePub though. You can also buy Adobe PDF (BoB calls these Adobe Digital Editions), but PDFs don't display as well as ePubs on the PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I have to say, I'm one of those "strip out the DRM" guys plus I'm a unix guy who likes things as simple as possible and I have to say, I'm very pleased to get lits. It's easy to convert, you get a standard format (html,jpg,css) and you can convert html to anything you want (txt for me). I also have to say that they are usually very nicely formatted. Yea for lit, and I used to just delete them.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
goldwater666

thank you all for your help - time to get busy