Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
For me there really is no advantage for the non-rootable newest Nook, the Glow 2013. The NST, on the other hand, has a MUCH better screen than either the Glows or the Kindle PaperWhite 1 (and probably the II as well though I've only spent a brief time with it). Even though it requires a light source at times, it's still my favorite of the 3 that I own.
Why are you comparing the screen of a frontlit ereader (KPW) to the NST (no frontlight)? It is a known fact that fronlit displays have less clear screens, as you have observed yourself between the NST and the Nook Glow.

Perhaps you should compare the NST to the Kindle Touch/Basic/Keyboard.

Quote:
The other advantage of a NST (or Original Glow) vs a Kindle (*any* Kindle) is that the Kindle really isn't rootable, just jail-breakable. That's more than semantics because rooting is much more complete, powerful and, with Nook Manager, is MUCH easier to do.
Rooting=jailbreaking. Perhaps you meant that the Nook runs Android, and the Kindle doesn't?

Perhaps, but it's also worth considering that it runs OLD Android, which diminishes the value considerably.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-01-2014 at 04:16 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Expandable memory is the most obvious advantage but it really is only an advantage if you root the Nook because B&N has otherwise crippled it. For all practical purposes, a non-rooted Nook with even a 32GB SD card has about the same memory available for sideloading as the latest Kindle.
I don't think that's true. Yes, they limit the ON BOARD storage, reserving the majority for BN purchased books. NOT the SD card. You can put whatever you want on that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't think that's true. Yes, they limit the ON BOARD storage, reserving the majority for BN purchased books. NOT the SD card. You can put whatever you want on that.
I thought the Nook with the restricted storage also doesn't have an SD card slot.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I understand it, both the NST and the newer Glowlight have restricted storage, while the newest also lacks the card slot.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
As I understand it, both the NST and the newer Glowlight have restricted storage, while the newest also lacks the card slot.
I heard it was only the new models that had restricted storage.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I heard it was only the new models that had restricted storage.
Only the very first nook reader had non partitioned space, since the nook color every device they released had a large chunk reserved for BN books (non user accessible) and a smaller partition for sideloaded content.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Although I use a Kindle PW for most of my normal e-book reading, I absolutely love my Nook HD+ 32GB, for everything else such as pdf's, graphic novels, magazines, etc., and for watching videos.

Among my favorite features are:
1. Reasonably priced
2. SD card (for storage and ease of rooting)
3. Great HD resolution for videos
4. Access to Google Play

I've never needed tech or warranty support and could care less about B&N's lousy reputation in that regard. Also, I never buy content from them so availability and pricing of their content is a non-issue for me. All in all, I consider my Nook HD+ to be one of the best tech bargains I've ever made.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, the Nook HD tablets are great values. Especially if you get a refurbished one, you can get one really cheaply. They are a little slower than something like a Nexus 7, but of course that one costs a lot more (usually). I find both sizes to be an extremely good value. Our 7" Nook HD's get a lot more use than the HD+, though.

The screen resolution on these is excellent, for the prices. There are so many of the 8gb ones for sale, you can get a really good deal, then root it and turn it into a 32 GB KitKat tablet! For under $100. The possibilities are phenomenal.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Perhaps, but it's also worth considering that it runs OLD Android, which diminishes the value considerably.
Everyone keeps saying this with little justification. The only useful app I have yet heard of that one cannot find a functioning version for the Nook is Calibre Companion. For everything else, old versions exist and are perfectly functional.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I thought the Nook with the restricted storage also doesn't have an SD card slot.
The Nook ST (old version) had restricted storage _prior_ to root. Once rooted, it's all accessible (at least I think that's the case). But it is all moot because one can add an SD-Card.

This is more of an issue with the new Nook as it lacks an SD-card slot.They are already talking about partitioning it etc. They did this on the T1/2 as well, which led to numerous bricks. A dodgy process.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Moon+ doesn't work on it, as I recall. I would love to have that on there.

I might be wrong about that. I'll look into it.

ETA Moon+ does install and work. However trying to click the menu for font selection kicks me out of the book, back to the file list. Nor does it show on the available apps when I click on a book from Library. The app itself looks fine, but without my favorite font, I won't use it. Mantano is working very well, especially since I thought to see if there was a bold option, and there is!

Last edited by booklover6; 07-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Moon+ doesn't work on it, as I recall. I would love to have that on there.

I might be wrong about that. I'll look into it.

ETA Moon+ does install and work. However trying to click the menu for font selection kicks me out of the book, back to the file list. Nor does it show on the available apps when I click on a book from Library. The app itself looks fine, but without my favorite font, I won't use it. Mantano is working very well, especially since I thought to see if there was a bold option, and there is!
Most apps from the Play Store won't work, there is no reason for developers to target anything prior to 2.3 (2 versions after the 2.1 the NST runs). There is way too much overhead and next to no incentive to support those old versions. Any app you want to run on the NST will have to be several generations old, meaning that it will lack features and is more likely to be buggy - assuming you can even find those versions.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
The latest glowlight is dumbed down. They should have added to the software and at the very least, maintained the capacity. I now have the Kobo Aura, and though I like it, I still maintain that the Nook as a device is the best out there. B&N are driving it into the ground. The glowlight was a step backwards.

I miss the personal screensavers the most. The Nook STG is solid build, both hardware and software. It does what it does very well, and the UI looks good.

Last edited by Snow Sciles; 07-11-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote